D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 change in Inspire Courage?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
I was looking at the SRD description of bardic music, and it looks like a change might have been made. It lists starting the performance as a standard action, and just says that benefits last as long as the bard sings and three rounds after. So do the benefits begin immediately now, for every ally action after the Bard's initiative?

The 3.0 players handbook says "To be effected, the ally must hear the bard sing for one full round." opposed to the 3.5 SRD "the ally must be able to hear the bard sing." but I don't know what the 3.0 srd or the 3.5 PHB say.

The Souljourner

First Post
Yeah, it starts immediatly now. It also takes a standard action to start, which i don't think it did before (it was a non-action). So... it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I think I would have rather had it the old way, so you don't lose an action doing it, but hey, it can give more than +1 now, so that's cool.

-The Souljourner

Kahuna Burger

First Post
The Souljourner said:
Yeah, it starts immediatly now. It also takes a standard action to start, which i don't think it did before (it was a non-action). So... it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I think I would have rather had it the old way, so you don't lose an action doing it, but hey, it can give more than +1 now, so that's cool.

groups I played with always assumed it was a standard action to start and free action to continue anyway, so its all good as far as I'm concerned. ;)

The Souljourner

First Post
Sorry, that's what I meant - standard to start and then it just goes for free as long as you want.

I'm actually starting a 9th level bard in a couple weeks - my old character in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil died (big surprise), so I decided to make up a bard... can't wait to play him. I'm usually not a huge roleplayer, I do some, but I don't really go over the top, but that's all going to change when I introduce Fagan Alexander, Master Bard ;)

-The Souljourner

Remove ads