D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Crit stacking?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A core finesse fighter who is going the route of the duelist will almost always take the rapier, and in 3.0, always take keen and Imp Crit.

A rogue who is combat-focused (but not a 2wf) will almost always end up taking the rapier, and in 3.0 Keen and Imp Crit.

Except that Keen and Imp Crit are generally more useful for the tank than the finesse fighter.

The rogue and the duellist get a lot of their damage potential from Sneak Attack or Precise Strike.

1. SA and PS are bonus damage dice that do not multiply on a critical. The Duellist/Rogue might do 8d6 damage on a sneak attack with a rapier... and 9d6 damage on a critical. The Raging, Power-Attacking Fighter/Barbarian with the greatsword does 2d6 +15 on a normal hit, and 4d6 +30 on a critical. The duellist gains a whole 3.5 damage from his critical... the fighter gains 22.

2. SA and PS are ineffective against creatures immune to criticals. So a rogue/duellist who goes the Keen and Imp Crit route is suffering from severe eggs-in-one-basket syndrome. The barbarian's damage hardly dips against zombies; the duellist's drops from 8d6-with-regular-crits to 1d6-with-no-crits. If he'd branched out a little, switching Keen for Energy enhancements, for example, he wouldn't be quite as handicapped against the (numerous) uncrittable opponents.

While Keen and Improved Crit are thematically a good match for the rogue/duellist, from a power perspective he is far less-suited to them than the raging tank.

-Hyp.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Technik4 said:

Except, as we just talked about, the rogue whose best proficiency is actually with the rapier. Oh, but who would want to make a "precise hit" rogue? Nevermind.

You seem to be more interested in bandying about random statements than truly discussing things. I recognize that the weapons have been balanced so that for the most part they all gain the same benefit from keen. However if you had looked at the math in this thread you would see that high crit ranges and high crit multipliers overtake weapons like the longsword once your damage potential is high enough.

A core finesse fighter who is going the route of the duelist will almost always take the rapier, and in 3.0, always take keen and Imp Crit.

A rogue who is combat-focused (but not a 2wf) will almost always end up taking the rapier, and in 3.0 Keen and Imp Crit.

As Mike said, there is more than one way to keen a blade.

I dont even know what is being argued anymore. I expressed most of my views at least a page ago, at this point its time to accept that the game has changed. Im not bitter, but it sounds like you better start spending some charges of your Rule 0 Wand.

Technik

By the math though in 3e for a 1 handed weapon you needed +6 to damage bonus for it to get better, and this leaves out the miss overlap where you might need a 15 to hit and crit on a 12 so 12,13,and 14 are wasted crit space, and elaves out crit immune weapons. And I haven't seen many rogues with a a damage bonus in excess of +6, and even still the edge is fairly marignal. So yeah in 3e a crit focused rogue with a rapeir is a bit better off than a similar rogue with a short sword after a bunch of elvels where he focussed in it and got his damage bonus up past 6.

In 3.5 its past 9 you need so it just wont ever happen for rogues except for the small fact that a rogues weapon proficiencies limit the rogue to the short sword or rapier so the rapier will always be better. To which I say zippy, every class that doesn't get a full selection of weapons form a category will have a best weapon.

Anubis

First Post
I've kinda lost track of what this argument is about.

I thought it was because whiny people are complaining that no longer stacking Keen and Improved Critical supposedly screws over "finesse fighters" by making them unable to compete with power fighters.

I still maintain that a finesse fighter by default shouldn't be able to match a power fighter blow for blow in the first place. Rogues and Duelists simply aren't built to stand up against all opponents like Fighters and Barbarians are. This is because the latter two are DESIGNED for dishing out damage whereas the former two are not.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Anubis said:
I still maintain that a finesse fighter by default shouldn't be able to match a power fighter blow for blow in the first place.

So, what should a finesse fighter be able to do? Stand around and be useless? I guess that's one way to do it if you want to encourage only lumbering plate-clad wartanks, but some of us don't mind the anachronisms of rapier-clad swashbucklers fighting alongside those tanks and actually managing to keep up with them.

One way to handle things would be if the finesse fighter hit more often, but for less damage - but you can't really do that the way D&D is set up (whereas you could in, say, GURPS). Your BAB is going to be the same, and your stat mods are going to be the same, so your chances of hitting are going to be the same whether you're using Str or Dex. The power fighter is going to do more damage from having both a higher strength and a bigger weapon, but the finesse guy doesn't get the benefit of hitting more often.

J

Storm Raven

First Post
Technik4 said:
Check master of the wild for a feat which grants elemental resistance 5 if you have fort 8+.

A non core feat that will only show up in stats of characters with good Fortitude saves who are 12th level or higher. That is not that big of a deal, nor is it likely to be common.

I agree, there are more types of energies which can make it difficult to have the right one for the right encounter. On the whole, in most campaigns, yes it is better off having Crit Immunity than one specific Elemental Immunity, but I maintain that the elemental ones come easier through prcs and whatnot.

You can maintain that all you want, but that doesn't make it reality. On the whole, you are likely face more opponents who are immune to critical hits than you are to face opponents who are immune or resistant to frost (for example).

I also had forgotten that multiple hits from an elemental weapon all stack for elemental damages. However in the core books 3.0 there were only 3 elements you could place on a weapon ice shock and fire. Those are quite common in the MM (esp fire), as are Rings of Fire Resistance, etc.

A ring of fire resistance is a 25,000+ gp item that has a limited usefulness, takes up a ring slot, and shows up even more rarely than armor of fortitfication. Besides, since you are talking about Masters' of the Wild feats, then perhaps you could also bother to include the Corrosive energy enhancement on weapons that showed up in Magic of Faerun. You also forgot the Thundering enhancement from the DMG.

Except, as we just talked about, the rogue whose best proficiency is actually with the rapier. Oh, but who would want to make a "precise hit" rogue? Nevermind.

But that is an attribute of the rogue class not the rapier itself. The rapier is the "best" rogue weapon because it is the only medium sized martial weapon on the rogue list. It is not a better weapon for critical hits than the pick, the scimitar or any number of other medium martial weapons. Those weapons just don't happen to be on the rogue proficiency list.

You seem to be more interested in bandying about random statements than truly discussing things. I recognize that the weapons have been balanced so that for the most part they all gain the same benefit from keen. However if you had looked at the math in this thread you would see that high crit ranges and high crit multipliers overtake weapons like the longsword once your damage potential is high enough.

Damage potential that has to be so high that a finesse based combatant will likely never be in a position where it makes a difference. Finesse fighters rarely have lots of damage bonuses, since, by definition, they usually aren't getting much benefit out of their strength, and in the case of the rogue, isn't benefiting from Specialization. Hence, the fact that the rapier might overtake the longsword if you have an average expected damage per hit of 20 or more points (not including sneak attack damage, since that isn't multiplied on a critical hit) is completely irrelevant.

Unless he takes a light pick, or the handaxe, or the spiked chain. The problem isn't with Improved Critical and keen, the problem is that the rapier is the only medium sized martial weapon that can be finessed, which makes it a better choice for medium sized finesse fighters.

But we aren't talking about finesse fighters. That has cropped up due to your silly assertion that finesse fighters are the ones who benefit the most from Improved Critical. We are talking about fighters focused on critical hits. For them, the array of worthwhile weapons extends throughout the martial weapon list, since the weapons on that list are all functionally balanced with one another (accounting for size differences) so far as critical hits are concerned.

A rogue who is combat focused is beter off ignoring keen and going with almost any other +1 cost enhancement. The fact that they might choose to pick up the keen enhancement is vanity, not efficiency. It is a subpar choice for that character. Are you truly upset that rogues might make subpar choices?

I dont even know what is being argued anymore. I expressed most of my views at least a page ago, at this point its time to accept that the game has changed. Im not bitter, but it sounds like you better start spending some charges of your Rule 0 Wand.

The point is that the changes (based upon Andy Collin's silly "criticals weren't special" line) were not based upon any kind of game mechanic problem, but rather based upon a personal preference that should not have cropped up in the redesign. Allowing the stacking of Improved Critical and keen was not a balance problem, thus, it should not have been revised.

Anubis

First Post
Storm Raven and drnuncheon, you two just keep complaining and complaining, and even your arguments have no basis whatsoever.

You claim that this rule change screws over finesse fighters by keeping them from matching power fighters, yet that is pure horsehockey. Under the current rules, finesse fighters ALREADY can't match a power fighter, because the power fighters more often than not have Keen and Improved Critical as well! (Nothing scarier than a Weapon Master with a keen mercurial greatsword and Improved Critical.)

I guarantee your finesse fighter can't match that! In the end, this rule change effects finesse fighters and power fighters EQUALLY. Also, in the end, the difference isn't that great between the two. Top to bottom, the biggest difference is about 40 points, and when you get to epic levels, that is NOTHING.

Storm Raven

First Post
Anubis said:
Storm Raven and drnuncheon, you two just keep complaining and complaining, and even your arguments have no basis whatsoever.

You claim that this rule change screws over finesse fighters by keeping them from matching power fighters, yet that is pure horsehockey.

Of couse, since that's not what I'm claiming, your rant amounts to little more than setting up a strwaman and knocking him down.

I've already pointed out that criticals work equally well or better for tank fighters than finesse fighters. Technik is the only one who seems to think that the finessed rapier wielder is the ultimate critical hit guy.

My complaint is that the rule has been changed for no game balance reason at all. Based upon Andy's comments to the effect of making the change because he thought that crits should be "special" (and not because of any actual game balance problem), and the fact that the stacking of critical threat range expansions has been shown by analysis not to be an unbalanced effect, the change is one that just has no place in a revision.

Technik4

First Post
Technik is the only one who seems to think that the finessed rapier wielder is the ultimate critical hit guy.

Ironically that statement sums up this who arguement for me. Go on about your business Storm Raven, and I shall do the same. Please, if it isn't asking too much, don't speak my name unless its a direct quote in the future. I shall offer you the same respect.

Technik

Anubis

First Post
Not all revisions need be about balance. This is a flavor change, and a good one. If critical hits were common, they truly would mean nothing at all.

Storm Raven

First Post
Technik4 said:
Ironically that statement sums up this who arguement for me. Go on about your business Storm Raven, and I shall do the same. Please, if it isn't asking too much, don't speak my name unless its a direct quote in the future. I shall offer you the same respect.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. "That statement sums up this who argument for me" doesn't make any sense. Besides, aren't you the guy who said this:

If I wanted to make a disarm fighter I would use a flail, a trip fighter I might also go for a flail or a reach weapon, if I'm going sword and board Im taking the best 1-hander I can wield, if I'm going 2-handed the best 2-hander I can wield, and "if I'm going for crits" I will always take the rapier. These are no-brainers.
[emphasis added].

If it is a "no-brainer" to always take a rapier if you are going for crits, doesn't this mean that you think it is the best option? (Of course, you may have decided to change your claim on that, given that it has been shown time and again that it is not a "no brainer", because it is simply not the optimal choice for a crit based fighter).

Remove ads