3.5 D&D?

JoeGKushner

First Post
With the advent of a new edition of Star Wars this summer, is it possible that the core rule books themselves may take some revisions? Reputation and other options from non core books creep up?

Official updates would enable the material to be used in RPGA events and other 'official' settings.

Personally I'm not too fond of the idea, but if it were to happen, better now than latter.

Of course, WoTC could always make another 'Core' Book that included official, but optional material.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
My guess is that they won't do a "3.5" but rather a "3.01a". Which is to say, incorporating the official errata into the books.

And as far as future books go ... I absolutely bet that sooner or later, WotC will do a "Best of the Web" book. Figure that with all the fan sites out there, WotC can pull material from 40 of them (with the author's permission, of course) and send it on out as "official" book.

Tsyr

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
Of course, WoTC could always make another 'Core' Book that included official, but optional material.

I would actualy like this... include reputation, the vitality system, the defence system, stuff like that, plus maybe a bare-bones "mass combat" system, an alternate stat system, etc etc...

Of course, then you would basicly be going back to the 2E days of "Players Option" books... not sure how WotC, much less the gamers themselves, would feel about that...

DMaple

First Post
I'm sure its something we should come to expect. In the interview the main reason for 3rd Edition was to sell more books. So I am expecting a 4th edition once sales start to flag significantly. Hopefully they won't be a close together as White Wolf's 1st, 2nd and Revised editions.

rounser

First Post
*snorts*
*wakes up with a start*

3E Revised?

Heh. No, that'd split the customer base and confuse consumers - and we can't have that.

*goes back to sleep*

Zappo

Explorer
Incorporating erratas in future printings seems just natural. They are called errata for a reason, after all. More than that, I don't know. An options book could be a good idea, and it could be done without it being another "Player's Option". Present the rules in a consistant way, with accurate advices on where and how they could interfere with game balance and how to prevent it.

rounser

First Post
An options book could be a good idea, and it could be done without it being another "Player's Option".

1001 Alt.Rangers (with introduction by Monte Cook)
3E Combat for Dummies
D&D Lite: Now with 60% less magic!

Humanophile

First Post
I don't really see that in the near future. I mean it sounds really neat, but if you're going to do 3e Players Option (which is basically what these'll be, no two ways about it), you're going to have to playtest the living daylights out of it to make sure it can't overpower core materials, and that the "cool factor" won't make it too appealing either. I don't know if they'll have time for that for a while, and it'll cost a bunch to put all those ideas together, test them sufficiently, and that may very well be a little too intensive for WOTC right now.

However, that did get me thinking about something I would like to see. Theme/mood books, maybe about the size of one of the classbooks, detailing rules and setting changes (as well as tips and tricks for describing/evoking that mood/theme). Seems like WOTC is approaching that already, and it'd be a nice step towards D&D generic fantasy.

Remove ads