Modiphius Announces Star Trek Adventures The Federation-Klingon War

New tactical campaign with new rules, new species, new gameplay modes, and more

Modiphius released details on Star Trek Adventures The Federation-Klingon War Tactical Campaign, a new setting book taking place in 2256-2257 during Star Trek Discovery and before the events of the original series of Star Trek.

FederationKlingonWarCampaignGuide_Book_STA_RGB_150_dpi_1000x.jpg

From the press release:

“WE COME IN PEACE.”
“We have forgotten the unforgettable. The last to unify our tribes: Kahless.” - T’Kuvma

The Federation-Klingon War Tactical Campaign expands upon the core Star Trek Adventures roleplaying game experience by providing a campaign that parallels the Klingon War story arc depicted in the first season of Star Trek: Discovery. This tactical campaign enables you and your group to explore what was happening elsewhere in the Federation during this perilous time. With a plethora of additional rules variations to embrace the emotional toil of being thrust into a war, this campaign gives you the tools to build exciting narratives during the war.

Additionally, this book includes rules for an all new, procedurally generated campaign overlay that gives players the opportunity to take on the roles of admirals assigning assets to deal with Klingon threats across the Galaxy.

STA_FKWTC_internal_pages_print_pp8-9_1000x.jpg

How will war take its toll on you and your allies? The Federation-Klingon War Tactical Campaign features:
  • An extensive discussion of the state of the Galaxy before and during the Federation-Klingon War in 2256 and 2257.
  • An in-depth look at 12 wartime roles along with how typical Starfleet roles change during wartime.
  • A new system that applies scars to characters, representing the toll war has had on them.
  • Fifteen new talents focusing on both the tactical and diplomatic theaters of war.
  • More than 25 named starships, Federation and Klingon, that were a part of the war effort.
  • Six new playable species, including Aenar, Arcadian, Ariolo, Betelgeusian, Coridanite, and Megarite.
  • Over 20 war-focused mission briefs including tactical, routine, exploration, and unknown mission options.
  • A wealth of advice on gamemastering wartime campaigns and ensuring all players feel safe while playing in war campaigns.
  • An optional campaign overlay that puts the players in the role of admirals while making decisions about the war effort.
  • Optional rulesets that enhance the tactical side of roleplaying.
STA_FKWTC_internal_pages_print_pp48-49_1000x.jpg

The 232-page hardcover will be eight chapters long covering new character options, a guide to gamemastering the campaign, the rules for the campaign, timelines and missions for the early, mid, and late war, new starships, and stats for new allies and adversaries. You can find the table of contents and more information on the Modiphius blog. The physical edition will begin to ship in April 2024 with pre-orders open now for a retail price of £40.00 or US$51.49 from the US webstore. All pre-orders will include the PDF, which will also be available for purchase separately on March 27, 2024.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Staffan

Legend
I really wish Modiphius would make a set of generic effect dice for all their 2d20 games that use them and sell them at a reasonable cost. I mean, if Fantasy Flight Games can make a set of 11 custom d6es (of 6 different types, no less) and sell them for $12 (including Lucasfilm's license fee), there's no good reason why Modiphius has to charge $20-22 for a set with 4 custom d6 and 3 custom d20s. Particularly not when you need two of those sets per player for each player to have a full set of dice.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
I really wish Modiphius would make a set of generic effect dice for all their 2d20 games that use them and sell them at a reasonable cost. I mean, if Fantasy Flight Games can make a set of 11 custom d6es (of 6 different types, no less) and sell them for $12 (including Lucasfilm's license fee), there's no good reason why Modiphius has to charge $20-22 for a set with 4 custom d6 and 3 custom d20s. Particularly not when you need two of those sets per player for each player to have a full set of dice.

Any third parties making similar dice? I'd be surprised if there wasn't. I've never looked.

Dire Bare

Legend
The custom dice aren't necessary. They're fun, but not required, and the ST: A book on page 74 has this table:

D6 RESULTCHALLENGE DICE RESULT
51, plus Effect
61, plus Effect
Yeah, not playing a game where I have to translate dice results like this in my head. I'm too old for that!

I don't mind purchasing custom dice for a game I enjoy, but I agree with @Staffan, if all of Modiphius' 2d20 games use the same dice, then just sell us the dice that work for all the games. Although, ALSO selling fancy customized Star Trek dice is totally OK, I love picking up stuff with the ST delta on them!

Stone Dog

Adventurer
The dice sets might be a consequence of the licencing too. Maybe they have to make branded accessories.

Also made my own, though. A brick of black D6s, a black sharpie and a blue sharpie. Faces with blue are effects, 3s and 4s are blacked out, and ones and twos are... Well... Ones and twos.

aramis erak

Legend
The dice sets might be a consequence of the licencing too. Maybe they have to make branded accessories.

Also made my own, though. A brick of black D6s, a black sharpie and a blue sharpie. Faces with blue are effects, 3s and 4s are blacked out, and ones and twos are... Well... Ones and twos.
I did similar... except Red for effect, and gold for count this. and colored the faces, not the pips.

It's worth noting also: a couple of the 2d20 games use different "combat dice"/"effect dice"

Dune doesn't use them at all. Nor, from what I've read, does Captain's Log.

MC3 uses 1,2,0,0,0,1+E
As does Corvus Belli Infinity

JCOM and STA use the 1, 2, 0, 0, 1+E, 1+E

aramis erak

Legend
Yeah, not playing a game where I have to translate dice results like this in my head. I'm too old for that!

I don't mind purchasing custom dice for a game I enjoy, but I agree with @Staffan, if all of Modiphius' 2d20 games use the same dice, then just sell us the dice that work for all the games. Although, ALSO selling fancy customized Star Trek dice is totally OK, I love picking up stuff with the ST delta on them!
They really don't cause much problem in play. I don't know anyone who actually uses Modiuphius' dice. I do know about 12 people who play/run 2d20 games. Not counting online.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads