Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Modiphius Announces Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Backwards compatible isn’t a compelling argument. It would barely make any difference if the damage dice were removed - as it hasn’t when they were already removed in the solo play books. The impact of removing them is negligable.

It is a poor game design when people in different geographical areas have different accessibility to playing it and there is no compelling reason why the mechanic is still included.

The example of the community in this thread is enough to underline why I shall not be continuing with Star Trek Adventures nor recommending it to others.
Your issue is that you live in a place where it's harder to get all the most suitable materials, and the community isn't interested in getting the publisher to change the game to suit your needs. I'm sorry this is a problem for you, but there's no need to vilify the fanbase because they want the game changed for you.

Insulting other members
Your issue is that you live in a place where it's harder to get all the most suitable materials, and the community isn't interested in getting the publisher to change the game to suit your needs. I'm sorry this is a problem for you, but there's no need to vilify the fanbase because they want the game changed for you.
I am vilifying the fanbase on this thread who chose to personalise the criticism and effectively say ‘the problem is you’ rather than address the criticism. That is ad hominem and it is a good reason why people shouldn’t buy the product.

Waller

Legend
I am vilifying the fanbase on this thread who chose to personalise the criticism and effectively say ‘the problem is you’ rather than address the criticism. That is ad hominem and it is a good reason why people shouldn’t buy the product.
Dude, you’re a walking demonstration of toxic fanbase-ism. You don’t like a dice and you’ve turned it into a personal crusade and completely hijacked the discussion. You keep saying you’re going to walk away… yet here you still are, ranting away.

Just walk away, dude. Everybody is laughing at you and your weird obsession with the dice used in a game you don’t play.

They got it. They “lost” you as a customer. I expect they’re OK with that. Nobody wants to be associated with “customers” like you.

aramis erak

Legend
Please.

It is clear why the language of "edition" with D&D is important, and is less so with other games like Star Trek Adventures. Historically, each "edition" of D&D is significantly different from the edition prior, resulting in splitting the audience as some stick with the earlier edition and some move forward with the new. The D&D 2024 rules could certainly be called an "edition", but WotC is avoiding that terminology for obvious and good reasons. Modiphius doesn't have to worry about that with Star Trek Adventures.
Traveller's far worse than D&D on that score...
Ditch the effect dice. Just have the system use 2D20.
Captain's Log does both those things.

aramis erak

Legend
D&D is the best example of "editions" being almost entirely new games, rather than incremental changes.
No, Traveller's worse. Each change (save 1e to 2e Classic) has been as big as the AD&D 2e to D&D 3e, but also several changed the number of dice needed/used, and different damage mechanics.

aramis erak

Legend
Considering you live in California and I live in New Zealand, where custom dice have to be imported and are more expensive and harder to find accordingly, I'd say that is a safe bet. However, Star Trek Adventures aspires to be an international release. If it is more expensive and harder to play in different countries then this is a flaw of the game, not the respective audiences.
The results on the effect dice are 1, 2, 0, 0, 1+E, 1+E.
I've never met anyone who NEEDED the custom dice to do them right. For my homemade sheet, I put that table right on the sheet. And I've run the game for over 20 people; pushing 30 people.
The d20's are normal d20's. I don't know which face they replace with the delta, but it's either the 1 or the 20.

Remove ads