What To Expect In Star Trek Adventures 2nd Edition

Revised rules, more character options, goodbye to challenge dice.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 10.11.37.png

Earlier this year, Modiphius announced that a new edition of its 2d20-system powered Star Trek Adventures TTRPG would be launched at Gen Con in August. This week, system developer Nathan Dowdell unveiled a few more details.
  • Cleaned up rules presentation
  • Guidance on use of traits
  • No challenge dice
  • More character options
  • Revised talents
  • Updated advancement and reputation rules
  • Revised starship rules
You can read the full update on Modiphius' website.

Bolongo

Herr Doktor
So this caught my eye on their site:
  • Updated advancement and reputation rules. The well-received rules for character advancement and reputation first featured in The Klingon Empire core rulebook are present in the new edition.
Anyone know what this means?

mykesfree

Adventurer
Looking forward to the new edition.

The advancement and reputation rules in the Klingon Core Rule Book basically put advancing your character in the hands of the player through the use or challenging that Charater's values. Gone is the table voting from the 1e book.

Reynard

Legend
I am still a little miffed about eliminating challenge dice. i think they add something to the game. That said, i have not played any of the versions of 2d20 that don't use them, so maybe it works fine.

mykesfree

Adventurer
I am still a little miffed about eliminating challenge dice. i think they add something to the game. That said, i have not played any of the versions of 2d20 that don't use them, so maybe it works fine.
The Dune RPG is Challenge Diceless. It works very well. I enjoy the challenge dice too. I had Captain Shaw sign the blank faces of mine. I am very interested to see how Star Trek implements this new version of the 2D20 system.

Reynard

Legend
The Dune RPG is Challenge Diceless. It works very well. I enjoy the challenge dice too. I had Captain Shaw sign the blank faces of mine. I am very interested to see how Star Trek implements this new version of the 2D20 system.
How do they get effect levels (such as damage) with just d20s?

mykesfree

Adventurer
How do they get effect levels (such as damage) with just d20s?
In Dune, things that do damage are at a baseline 2 damage. If you have a better version of that weapon the damage starts increasing (A crysknife, compared to a dagger) or you can spend Momentum to increase the damage.

Remove ads

Remove ads