D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Darkness questions

JLXC

First Post
As some people have posted, and I am starting to agree with:

Darkness makes it hard to use miniatures.

Shadows does not.

Any questions?

I have to say, I don't place much stock in the miniatures-conspiracy theory. Sure, they want to sell minis, and they want people to think about D&D in terms of minis. In general, yes, but I don't think we can trace a rule change like this one to the mini-conspiracy. Why not? Because if they thought 3.0 Darkness was a problem for minis, then Obscuring Mist 3.0/3.5 presents the same problem until someone's within 5'.

'Nuff said.

Bauglir

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Not surprising, given that your example uses a 2nd level spell and a 6th level spell...

-Hyp.

I think that was my point though. It's a second level spell with an extreme effect, and you need a 6th level spell to trump it. So an 11+th level wizard, after using a spell he may well cast anyway (true seeing is very useful..) can get this much mileage from a second level spell? How many other second level spells are that good? (OK, maybe Web :p)

Bauglir said:

I think that was my point though. It's a second level spell with an extreme effect, and you need a 6th level spell to trump it. So an 11+th level wizard, after using a spell he may well cast anyway (true seeing is very useful..) can get this much mileage from a second level spell? How many other second level spells are that good? (OK, maybe Web :p)

Forgive me, but I think that Hyp has the point and not you. You do not need a 6th level spell to "trump" Darkness. All you need is a light spell of equivalent or greater level to cancel/counter it. No, the 6th level spell is not necessary to defeat Darkness, but to USE it as a way to debilitate your enemies while suffering no ill effect yourself. By itself, Darkness (3.0 or 3.5) has the same effects on friend and foe alike in its area. To saddle only your foes with the disadvantages, you need a higher level spell, at which point using the 2nd level one is a clever, balanced combo.

Cheers,
MC

Remove ads