D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 DMG Familiar Stats

Kirowan

First Post
Starting on page 200 of the 3.5 DMG, special familiars are listed until page 204. Now, the familiars are supposed to have their BABs and saves reconfigured per the rules for familiars, but as far as I can tell, all their BABs and saves are the same from the MM. I was going to report this as errata, but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks,

Nick

zoroaster100

First Post
For saves, at least, I think they post the bonuses for the Monster Manual because the familiar gets either its own base bonuses (plus ability modifiers) or the masters' (plus the familiar's ability modifiers), whichever is better. Attack bonus works a little different, but is also based on the master's, so maybe they just put the animal's bonus as a default. It would probably be better if instead of putting a number (since it varies by master's level) they instead put something like master's BAB+2 or whatever, but that would probably take up too much space for what they are willing to use for this purpose in the DMG.

Tessarael

Explorer
Be aware that the 3.5E Dungeon Master's Guide Familiars have not been updated to 3.5E Monster Manual attributes. They have skills from 3E Monster Manual for example. I haven't reported this errata (so feel free to report it).

Also, the abilities given with tiny and large familiars are not in line with 3.5E Player's Handbook familiar abilities. Skill bonuses should be +3, and Thrush should give +3 Appraise or something similar (like Raven). Also Owls of different sizes should give the same bonus as standard 3.5 PHB Owl familiars. I have reported this errata, and suggested a fix (see Olgar Silverstone's errata thread).

Frustrating that they didn't catch these differences in 3.5E. I think this occurred because different people were working on different books.

Remove ads