D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] DR and Monks

Winternight

First Post
I don't have 3.5 but i want to know how the solve the DR problem with the monks. Can anyone summerize it for me?
Thanx.

(3.0 Monks get a +1 hand @ level 9, a +2 "hand" @ level 14 and so on .. )

Spatzimaus

First Post
There is no /+1 or /+2 DR any more. You need a specific material, alignment, etc. to beat it. All that remains of the old plus-based DR is /Magic, and even a +1 weapon will do. See Dravot's post at http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57530 to see what each creature has.

Monk fists act as Lawful weapons at level 4, Magic weapons at level 10, and Adamantine weapons at level 16, but only for the purpose of bypassing DR. You don't get any extra damage out of this.

But, this isn't really necessary. To compensate for the increased difficulty of bypassing DR, the numbers themselves have decreased; what was 10/+2 might now be something like 5/silver. Classes with good damage output per attack (like a high-level Monk) can power through the DR instead of trying to find the weak point.

Winternight

First Post
Thank you

Thank both of you, even if they are (slightly) contradictions.

But Monks can't harm werewolfes (silver) or demons ( cold Steel) without the DR.

PS
I DO understand the new DR concept and I think i like it.

Belphanior

First Post
Re: Thank you

Winternight said:
But Monks can't harm werewolfes (silver) or demons ( cold Steel) without the DR.

Well, most lycanthropes have, what, 5/silver? That just reduces your damage by 5, so a monk should still be able to deliver some meaningful damage.
The same goes for demons and devils (it's cold iron, btw). The pit fiend and balor have 15/something, and a high level monk can, sometimes, break through (especially with power attack).

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Re: Re: Thank you

Belphanior said:

The same goes for demons and devils (it's cold iron, btw). The pit fiend and balor have 15/something, and a high level monk can, sometimes, break through (especially with power attack).

Silver and/or holy for devils, cold iron and/or holy for demons.

Don't forget that you can use special monk weapons if you want to bypass material DR - a cold iron sai and a silver kama will set you up just fine.

J

CrimsonTemplar

First Post
Monks & Lycanthropes

Belphanior said:

Well, most lycanthropes have, what, 5/silver? That just reduces your damage by 5, so a monk should still be able to deliver some meaningful damage.

Actually, all the Lycanthropes are 10/silver. Here's a thread that summarizes the new DR's for the MM critters. With the small number of critters that have their DR negated by 'Lawful' there are going to be a lot of Monks weilding Silver Kama.

EPRock

Slaughter McSlaughter
Monk Weapons

Well it looks like monks may need to take a few monk weapons if they do not want to have to power through damage reduction.

Remove ads