• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] DR Question

gfunk

First Post
For those of you with Fiend Folio or MM2, could you please let me know what kind of DR celestials possess? In Savage Species, all the celestials are given DR of +X/5, +X/10, or +X/20. However, in 3.5 this has been changed as we know.

So what it is?

Unholy? Magic?

Thanks!

3d6

Explorer
Probably DR 5/evil, 10/evil, and 15/evil depending on the power of the creature. That's how the devils we've seen have been set up.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Also, it was posted in the 3.5 thread:

" 5) The natural attacks AND weapon attacks of a creature with an alignment subtype (Chaotic, Evil, Good, Lawful) can overcome damage reduction as if those attacks and weapons had an alignment (or alignments) matching the creature's subtype(s). Fiends are really good at hurting celestials, and vice-versa."

This implies it's DR X/evil (or X/unholy, depending on how you view it) for Celestials. It's interesting that it extends to weapons they use now.

As for demon vs. devil, it's also been said that demons will tend to have DR X/cold iron and devils will have DR X/silver, which leads to the famous DR 15/Holy Silver that Pit Fiends have. Which, of course, brings up the eternal question: how can the Blood War work when neither side can beat each others' DR? There must be a LOT of silver floating around down there.

DMauricio

First Post
gfunk said:
For those of you with Fiend Folio or MM2, could you please let me know what kind of DR celestials possess? In Savage Species, all the celestials are given DR of +X/5, +X/10, or +X/20. However, in 3.5 this has been changed as we know.

So what it is?

Unholy? Magic?

Thanks!

In my own campaign, I've used.

For Eladrin
DR X/unholy cold iron

For Guardinals
DR X/unholy silver

and for Aasimon
DR X/unholy adamantine

HTH

Dom

Darklone

Spatzimaus said:
As for demon vs. devil, it's also been said that demons will tend to have DR X/cold iron and devils will have DR X/silver, which leads to the famous DR 15/Holy Silver that Pit Fiends have. Which, of course, brings up the eternal question: how can the Blood War work when neither side can beat each others' DR? There must be a LOT of silver floating around down there.

When I look at how much damage those critters dish out per hit...

Poor dretches though :D

Perhaps that's the reason why this war has been going on for eternity ;)

Last edited:

Which, of course, brings up the eternal question: how can the Blood War work when neither side can beat each others' DR? There must be a LOT of silver floating around down there.

WotC hasn't really paid attention to the Blood War in 3e, except for MotP.

Even there, the Ultroloth has a curious error in logic. It can cast Wall of Fire as a combat spell ... yet tanar'ri resist fire and baatezu are immune to fire, making it a pointless spell.

Staffan

Legend
Fiend Folio and MM2 both use the 3.0 DR system, not 3.5. Supposedly the conversion manual will have stuff about, well, converting them.

And as for the Ultroloth having Wall of Fire despite it being useless against tanar'ri and baatezu... fighting other fiends isn't *all* the 'loths do, you know.

hong

WotC's bitch
Spatzimaus said:
As for demon vs. devil, it's also been said that demons will tend to have DR X/cold iron and devils will have DR X/silver, which leads to the famous DR 15/Holy Silver that Pit Fiends have. Which, of course, brings up the eternal question: how can the Blood War work when neither side can beat each others' DR?

What Blood War? Ain't no Blood War in my campaign, dearie!

According to the Fiend Folio conversion guide, all (two) Fiend Folio celestials get DR 10/evil.

(They don't call it unholy anymore.)

However, both were mid-CR celestials.

The tarrasque was confirmed as 15/epic, and there's one monster with DR 20/something, so the solar likely has DR 20/epic. :eek:

Staffan

Legend
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
(They don't call it unholy anymore.)
I think that's because unholy and evil are not equivalent. An unholy weapon will do evil damage, but unholy is a stronger version of evil. Much like holy weapons in 3.0 count as blessed (I think they do at least), but blessed weapons aren't necessarily holy.

Remove ads