D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Dragon Disciple in 3.5? Pleaaaase?

Hardhead

Explorer
One of my players wants to become a Drgaon Disciple. And, since it's in the 3.5 DMG, we're all curious as to how it was changed. Specifically, does it now grant bonus spellcasting levels?

Thanks for the answer in advance. :D

Bloodstone

First Post
not only does it not get bonus spellcasting levels, it also no longer increases your size.

As a slight plus, I believe the breath weapon damage die is the same now, regardless of dragon lineage.

Derren

Hero
Read the Answer again.

not get bonus spellcasting levels

My question is, what did they give the DD as compensation for the size increase, if anything.

When it is like the 3.0 DD - Enlargement, I see no reason to take this PRC except for dragon lovers (Who aren't allowed to start as half dragons) because the class is so weak.

Supposed to get either Blindsight or Blindsense, not sure which. IIRC, blindsight is directional but provides more information (you can read with blindsight) blindsense is omnidirectional (almost impossible to sneak up on) but has lower detail.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Hardhead said:
Yeah, without bonus spellcasting levels, or some other improvement, this class is a waste of space.

Especially since I can't see what was so powerful with DD in the first place. One had to min/max it to make this class effective, IMHO.

Loosing 7 bonus spells over 10 levels, all of a level you already could cast is not that much of a loss anyway... Or is it?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Tar-Edhel said:

Especially since I can't see what was so powerful with DD in the first place. One had to min/max it to make this class effective, IMHO.

Loosing 7 bonus spells over 10 levels, all of a level you already could cast is not that much of a loss anyway... Or is it?

yeah the only reason I've seen to take it is for some str god character. Like a 1/2 orc, barbarian,sor,dragon disciple, frenzied berserker. And even then other than feats of str he wasn't any better in mellee combat than other characters. though the reach with the spiked chain, and the natural reach was nice.

From what I'm hearing it sucks even more now.

nharwell

Explorer
IMC I dropped the "enlargement" feature and gave +1 spellcasting level at every odd level. The PC in my game in now 16th level (10th DD, 6th Sor) and has been fairly well-balanced. The change made the class useful -- still weaker than most FR spellcasting PrCs, but very playable...

Lotus

First Post
It always had style, but IMHO enlargement was the main mechanical justification for playing it.

OTOH, I believe I read that all DDs of sufficient level gain usable wings now regardless of character size.

And the Enlarge spell gives characters a size category boost... heh. I'm tempted to have my spiked chain tank take a caster or rogue level, and carry a wand of "Attack Of The 50' Woman." :D

Edit: on second thought, that's Enlarge Person, it's 4th level instead of 1st (and I can think of better 4th level wands), and I don't know if the spell resizes the person's gear too or just the person (could get messy!)

Last edited:

Remove ads