Level Up (A5E) If the Dragon Disciple prestige class was a synergy feat chain in Level Up

If the Dragon Disciple prestige class from 3.0/3.5e was a synergy feat chain in Level Up, it most certainly would involve 3 levels of the Sorcerer with the Draconist archetype. It would also involve picking up one of the five Manifestation types in order to emulate a particular Chromatic or Metallic Dragon.

Blizzard (Cold)- White, Silver
Corrosion (Acid)-Black, Copper
Hurricane (Lightning)- Blue, Bronze
Inferno (Fire)- Brass, Gold, Red
Venom (Poison)- Green

New Manifestations would be needed for anyone wanting to be Dragon Disciple of a Gem or Essence Dragon. ;)

As for the other class in the Dragon Disciple synergy feat chain, what would it be? Back in 3.0/3.5, the Dragon Disciple was something of a melee combatant in addition to being a spellcaster. So one of the martial classes in Level Up could fit the bill. But since dragons can be warlock patrons, I could see a Warlock being a Dragon Disciple too. Homebrew a Pact of the Claw for them? ;)

Thoughts?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Hmmm...

Personally... I'd probably make it an Adept Archetype rather than a feat-chain. Get some spellcasting like an Elements adept, breath weapon, claws and bite as elementally infused unarmed attacks. Wings would be awesome at higher level...

Hmmm...

Personally... I'd probably make it an Adept Archetype rather than a feat-chain. Get some spellcasting like an Elements adept, breath weapon, claws and bite as elementally infused unarmed attacks. Wings would be awesome at higher level...
A Level Up version of 5e's Way of the Ascendant Dragon? ;)

Sure! That's probably how they came up with the Way of the Ascendant Dragon, after all.

Though because of A5e's design, you could just straight up use that Archetype with the Adept, no changes needed.
True.

Anyhow, I thought it would be neat to explore the idea of a Dragon Disciple feat chain after reading about how some likened the synergy feat chains to 3e's prestige classes. The Draconist Sorcerer is a practical shoe-in for such a feat chain. ;) Especially since the Manifestation feature of the sorcerer can be tweaked to a particular draconic ancestry.

Pedantic

Legend
There is always the potential for an Adept/Sorcerer synergy feat chain. Unarmed claw attacks, converting spell slots to breath weapons as an attack?

Remove ads