D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Druid Variant

rgard

Adventurer
Hi All, I'm looking at a Druid variant that has a full BAB. The point of this is I'm updating a 1E Bard to 3.5 and being able to wild shape was never part of the character development or concept.

The variant I'm thinking of would work like this:

Druid​

The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a more proficient combatant while remaining in his or her original form.

Gain​

Full BAB (same as the Fighter BAB).

Lose​

Wild shape (all versions).

What do you all think? I'm not bothered that this could be underpowered. Just don't want it to be overpowered.

=============================================

For reference, here is one variant from the 3.5 SRD:

Druid​

The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a swift and deadly hunter.

Gain​

Bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger).

Lose​

Armor and shield proficiency, wild shape (all versions).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One thing you might do is acquire the D&D 2Ed=>3Ed conversion manual, still freely available:

It won’t give you a perfect answer, but it may be a handy guide for you.

When our group went through the conversion, we paid less attention to the actual guide than to maintaining as much of the core of the characters’ natures & capabilities as possible, Some switched classes, or even added or lost multiclasses. Some had equipment changes.

rgard

Adventurer
For what it's worth, here's what I settled on...

Hunter Druid

The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a more proficient melee combatant while remaining in her normal form and being able to hunt favored enemies who despoil nature.

Gain​

Full BAB. favored enemy (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger). swift tracker (as ranger).
Note: for the additional favored enemies beyond 1st level, the druid must have witnessed the new favored enemy do something adverse to fauna or flora without good cause, e.g. killing critters not for eating, burning down the forest, etc.

Lose

Wild shape (all versions).

Last edited:

Remove ads