D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Fighter/Wizard Spells

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
What spells do you think are important/useful for a fighter/wizard/spellsword or Eldritch Knight in 3.5?

Assume that only one or (at most) two rounds will be spent self-buffing in combat.

This is the list I've come up with but I'm sure there's more:

Level 1:

Enlarge-Quite nice if you've combat reflexes and/or improved Trip

Magic Missile-hits incorporeal foes, good for use with the channel spell ability

Ray of Enfeeblement-The 3.5 version of shield--give your foes an attack and damage penalty of up to (1d6-5)/2 as well as possibly reducing their movement and max dex bonus. Very good as a channelled spell

Shield-Now primarily useful for fighter/wizard's wielding two handed weapons.

True Strike-useful for making sure attacks hit (True Strike+power attack is only advantageous against very high AC foes but it's good for making sure Channeled spelss hit); also good for disarming foes.

Alter Self-The Wizard's Barkskin and Water Breathing rolled into one.

False Life--good duration; temp hp are nice.

Glitterdust-good area effect spell and good for invisible foes.

Mirror Image-Especially good when combined with blink (the images last longer than one or two rounds that way)

Scorching Ray--a good ranged attack. Even better against [Cold] creatures.

See Invisibility-the best way of dealing with invisible foes

3. Blink: Good defense and helps offense if you have expert tactician

Greater Magic Weapon: Nice but no longer really good.

Haste: Can be nice but not nearly as helpful as it was in 3.0--blink and heroism are now probably better for making you a competent melee machine.

Heroism: Good duration--helps make up for weak BAB. Helps with the reflex save too.

Magic Circle vs Evil: Good duration--helps with AC; as an added benefit, it helps the party too

Fire Shield: Maybe good--unfortunately it depends on getting hit though and you don't have the hp to take that.

Greater Invisibility: Very nice--esp. combined with Expert Tactician.

Polymorph: Troll form, Annis Form, Stone Giant form+combat reflexes and improved trip=dead foes.

Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer: Didn't use your open 4th level slot? Why not trade today's unused 4th level slot for an extra ray of enfeeblement and two magic missiles tomorrow?

Stoneskin: Expensive but potentially useful; combines well with fire shield.

5. Energy Buffer (T&B): Help guard your low hp and poor reflex save from fireballs.

6. Greater heroism: +4 bonusses are good but the short duration seems rather weak.

Tenser's Transformation: Not as good as 3e; maybe still worth it though.

8. Moment of Prescience: What, every wizard doesn't want this?

9. Shapechange: Like Polymorph on steroids.

What am I missing/what have I misjudged?

Voadam

Legend
If you have the round to cast it, bull's strength is not a bad 2nd level melee buff for one fight.

The problem with most all of these is spending the time buffing instead of attacking.

Energy buffer is great because it can be cast pre-combat and will apply regardless of the attack's energy type.

Remove ads