• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Good 1st/2nd level spell to combine with Portent?

Stalker0

Legend
For an upcoming villain in a 10th level dnd game I am going to have a divination wizard.

I've warned the party that I will be using some PC shenanigans on some of the villains, and so I'm planning to use the old PC trick of combining portent with a nice disabling spell to auto get one spell effect off.

But the trick is....this game has low magic, no higher than 2nd level spells. So I need a good 1st or 2nd level spell (from any spell list) to combine with this effect.

My first thought was hold person, but that only guarantees 1 round (though its a hell of a round!), anything better you would recommend?

Stormonu

Legend
Charm person. Why ever enter a fight when one never starts because you've made a new friend? Usable as 1st or 2nd level.

And remember, always target the boss of the encountered group. Everyone follows the boss, so if they're a friend ... then so is everyone working for them.

ECMO3

Hero
For an upcoming villain in a 10th level dnd game I am going to have a divination wizard.

I've warned the party that I will be using some PC shenanigans on some of the villains, and so I'm planning to use the old PC trick of combining portent with a nice disabling spell to auto get one spell effect off.

But the trick is....this game has low magic, no higher than 2nd level spells. So I need a good 1st or 2nd level spell (from any spell list) to combine with this effect.

My first thought was hold person, but that only guarantees 1 round (though its a hell of a round!), anything better you would recommend?

Since you are using it against PCs, I think Hold Person is the best. I think Cause Fear or Blindness would be better if you did not know they were going to be humanoids.

To do this right though you would roll the Portent after you chose the spell .... so you might not get an auto fail.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
To do this right though you would roll the Portent after you chose the spell .... so you might not get an auto fail.
I have been treating the Portent feature for a player to allow him to adjust any spells prepared after a Long Rest. I explain this away as the portents coming to him in his dreams, and a strict reading of the rules backs me up, I believe:
PHB p.116 said:
Portent (excerpt)
When you finish a long rest, roll two d20s and record the numbers rolled.
PHB p.114 said:
Preparing and Casting Spells (excerpt)
You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of wizard spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.

Both are done after completing a Long Rest, but preparing spells requires additional time that Portent does not, so I rule that you know your Portent rolls before you prepare spells.

Remove ads