D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 fightertype (prestige) classes without armor?

Dordledum

First Post
D&D 3.5 e

I was thinking about making a barechested barbariantype fighter, but I find the barbarianclass beyond level 4-ish quite boring.

Any suggestion for prestige classes/ base classes which work wel for unarmored front-line fighters?

I guess bracers of armour will be in order for this character, but any other build tips/suggestions?

Empirate

First Post
Unarmored only really works OK if you have magic to provide substitute armor (or miss chance). Or if you just say "screw AC, I'll just stand here and take it like a man" - which isn't recommended.

That said, you can get your Wis bonus, your Int bonus and twice your Con bonus to unarmored armor class by combining Monk (Cobra Strike variant from UA is recommended), Duelist (horrible PrC, might as well leave it out, but you were asking about AC), Fist of the Forest (Complete... Champion, IIRC?), and Deepwarden (Races of Stone). Dip Monk for two levels, then become unlawful so you can dip Barbarian, too. The Whirling Frenzy variant is very good if you're focused on AC. Take the Carmendine Monk feat to substitute Wis for Int on the Monk's AC bonus, and you're a little less MAD. Dip Focused Conjurer for Mage Armor and the Abrupt Jaunt goodness. Also, be a dwarf (to enter Deepwarden AND get a tasty Con bonus). Your AC should be good enough this way.

Your main problem will be decent damage output, since you're quite a signature case of MAD. Your defenses should be strong enough, though!

Dordledum

First Post
ok, the basic characteridea is a bald bold big warlord wielding a single scimitar with no armour or shield.

the idea of going for a few levels of monk and switching to barbarian/fighter afterwards sounds interesting.

I was thinking going for human, half-orc, hobgoblin or orc. none of the puny races at least.

donning bracers of armour, amulet of natural armour and a ring of protection should do fine.

Last edited:

Dordledum

First Post
the point is kind of moot with the stats rolled. I have nothing to spare for wisdom, so going monk won't help a bit.

I think I'll make him a hobgoblin barbarian/fighter with an interesting feat selection.

If you're going for a scimitar using Fighter, you should look at the Dervish PrC. It gives you bonuses for using scimitars and an AC bonus if you're wearing light or no armor. However, you cannot combine your Rage ability and the Dervish Dance.

Otherwise, you could go Barbarian/Fist of the Forest/Frost Rager and run around punching everything with your ice covered fists. It would definitely fit the unarmored theme.

In Sandstorm there is a Great Scimitar. Its exotic and could open up the Exotic Weapons Master prc for you.

If you're not going to use a shield, have you considered a Falchion? It's basically a bigger scimitar.

Dordledum

First Post
This picture is sort of the inspiration for the character.

Kudos for those who recognize it:

Maraxus%20of%20Keld.JPG

The Dervish suggestion is good, thanks!

Dordledum

First Post
final build at lvl 6 for those interested:

Half-Hobgoblin Barbarian 1 / Fighter 4 / Dervish 1

Stats:
STR 18
DEX 16 (15 +1 from level 4)
CON 14 (12 +2 racial)
INT 13