D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 fightertype (prestige) classes without armor?

Dordledum

First Post
It is pretty sweet, I think it is slightly more powerful than average but not enough to warrant a level adjustment.

Copy/pasted it because the link doesn't seem to work properly:

Half-Hobgoblin Characters

Half-hobgoblin characters possess the following racial traits.
  • +2 Constitution
  • Humanoid (Goblinoid)
  • Medium size
  • Half-hobgoblin base land speed is 30 feet
  • Darkvision out to 30 feet
  • +2 racial bonus on Move Silently checks
  • Bonus feat at level 1
  • Hobgoblin Blood: for all purposes related to race, a half-hobgoblin is considered a hobgoblin
  • Automatic Languages: Common and Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Infernal, Giant, Orc.
  • Favored Class: Fighter.

Sekhmet

First Post
Fun fact, Hobgoblins are Half Orc/Half Human, and were written after the Uruk-Hai. The Hobgoblins of traditional mythology and legend were much smaller than Goblins.
Tolkien didn't realize that during his writing process, and renamed them Uruk-Hai to correct his mistake, because he really liked the creatures he'd created.

Your Half Hobgoblin is actually 3/4 Human / 1/4 Orc. Fun!

Empirate

First Post
I remember Hobgoblins are (obscurely) referenced in The Hobbit, but are they actually mentioned by name in LOTR? Uruk-Hai are human-orc crossbreeds alright, but are they actually called Hobgoblins anywhere in the book?

Sekhmet

First Post
I remember Hobgoblins are (obscurely) referenced in The Hobbit, but are they actually mentioned by name in LOTR? Uruk-Hai are human-orc crossbreeds alright, but are they actually called Hobgoblins anywhere in the book?

They were called Hobgoblins in the entirety of his works in their rough drafts, and in the various examples of how they were created given in the books (and in the movies) they are Goblin Men. Remember that "Goblin" is interchangeable in LoTR with "Orc".

Tolkien admitted later in his life that he had originally called them Hobgoblins until he had studied the folklore surrounding them a bit better.

When Peter Jackson's movies started coming out, I was just finishing up High School. I decided to write a genealogical paper for one of my Science classes outlining the strange mutative nature of fantasy genetics. They obviously aren't thought out very well, but it is still fun to consider. I found out that Gandalf was closely related to Durin's Bane and things just went downhill from there.

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
In our ongoing Pathfinder game we had a 1/2 Orge barbarian who refused to wear armor. And she went out of her way to make herself bigger. She got hit.

A lot.

Sekhmet

First Post
[MENTION=23396]Drowbane[/MENTION] No, he didn't. He invented the D&D idea of a Hobgoblin.
Prior to Tolkien, Hobgoblins were very small, hairy creatures very similar to Brownies. They did odd jobs around the house while the family was lost in sleep (the cobbler and his boots springs to mind) in exchange for some food.
They also liked to perform practical jokes.

Tolkien turned them into the unusually intelligent, menacing, and large combatants that they are in almost all fiction to follow.

Drowbane

First Post
[MENTION=85158]Dandu[/MENTION]: Hit. I think she had a 7 or lower Cha (and RP'd that very well).

[MENTION=97602]Sekhmet[/MENTION]: Oh, cool. So he kinda did invent the (modern) Hobgoblin.

Dordledum

First Post
ok, you guys persuaded me, Half-Hobgoblin is silly.

I rewrote it to a Desert Orc (Unearthed Arcana). Final build at lvl 6 for those interested:

Desert Orc Barbarian 1 / Fighter 4 / Dervish 1

Stats:
STR 22 (18 +4 racial)
DEX 14 (13 +1 from level 4)
CON 12
INT 13 (15 -2 racial)
WIS 10 (12 -2 racial)
CHA 9 (11 -2 racial)

Feats:
* Weapon Focus (Scimitar)
* Weapon Spec (Scimitar)

* Endurance