D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Ghaele PC - Questions

LadyLepidoptera

First Post
New member here with a couple questions that hopefully are not annoying repeats. :heh:

I am preparing to play a ghaele in an upcoming campaign using the Savage Species progression (changed a bit to agree with 3.5MM).

Number one question. How can I adventure with any equipment at all if the Alternate Form errata says anything which can't be used in the new form (nothing, I'd expect - what could I use as an incorporeal globe?) drops to the ground in my space? It seems odd/silly/dumb to me that I could have standard magic items/weapons/gear/etc. that I would just let fall unattended while I fly around, and then have to come back for it later hoping it's still there. The MM says they wield +4 holy greatswords; are we supposed to expect that they just drop them randomly? :hmm:

Secondly, assuming there is some explanation/fix for the above, recommended feats? We are starting at Level 13, so 8HD in my case with only 3 feats.

Thanks for your guidance!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
New member here with a couple questions that hopefully are not annoying repeats. :heh:

I am preparing to play a ghaele in an upcoming campaign using the Savage Species progression (changed a bit to agree with 3.5MM).

Number one question. How can I adventure with any equipment at all if the Alternate Form errata says anything which can't be used in the new form (nothing, I'd expect - what could I use as an incorporeal globe?) drops to the ground in my space? It seems odd/silly/dumb to me that I could have standard magic items/weapons/gear/etc. that I would just let fall unattended while I fly around, and then have to come back for it later hoping it's still there. The MM says they wield +4 holy greatswords; are we supposed to expect that they just drop them randomly? :hmm:

Secondly, assuming there is some explanation/fix for the above, recommended feats? We are starting at Level 13, so 8HD in my case with only 3 feats.

Thanks for your guidance!
First off, Id suggest you bring this up with your DM and see if you can just handwave that detail away, assuming your gear get's absorbed and returns on you when your form changes back.

If not, enchant every piece of gear with the +1 Ghost Touch property.

Sekhmet

First Post
Excellent points by Rumbletiger.

The Ghaele's Alternate Form is mechanically different to standard Alternate Forms -
SRD said:
A ghaele remains in one form until it chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, nor does the ghaele revert to any particular form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability, however, reveals both forms simultaneously.

It is reasonable to assume they are always simultaneously in both forms, and therefor able to carry equipment viable for either form with them when they travel. Any DM could reasonably hand wave that particular block, citing that they're used to bringing equipment (greatswords) with them when they travel.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Alternately, you can see if yiu'd be allowed to apply the Called armor property to other objects, which allows you to drop your gear, than teleport it to you from anywhere within the same Plane.

I'm away from my books, it's somewhere in the Magic Item Compendium I believe.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, were I your DM, I'd have no problem letting you absorb your equipment into your new form.

I might rule that equipment in other forms becomes non-functional -- your +4 Greatsword doesn't do anything for you when you can't swing it, and your magic armor likewise doesn't deflect blows when you can't wear it.

But I'd have no problem letting you physically bring it along with you.

nijineko

Explorer
since they have a special dual-form of alternate form, i would think the equipment sticks with the one form that can use it.

as for feats, what do you expect the creature to be doing? are you looking for fun and intersting non-standard stuff, or are you looking for effective combat feats, or what?

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I ran a ghaele from Savage Species a few years back. I don't recall ever discussing the issue of equipment and alternate form - we just played that my stuff tagged along when I went incorporeal.

As for feats, the one I know for sure I took was Flyby Attack. That was tactical gold, being able to incorporeally move through the walls, step out and blast someone with light rays, then slip back into the stone for the rest of the round. Very frustrating for the DM. ;)

I believe I also took Combat Reflexes, but other than that I can't recall, and I don't have my sheet in front of me at the moment. I'd be interested in hearing what choices you make, and how you enjoy playing the character. Good luck! :)

LadyLepidoptera

First Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't had a chance to talk with the DM about it yet, but I think the 'dual-form' argument would most likely be acceptable, with items merging and becoming nonfunctional. But I could probably still use ioun stones... like a little planet around a star! B-)

Regarding feat selection, I don't really have anything in mind, just wondering what people have experience with being wise choices since there are so few to work with. Flyby Attack sounds good. I was already considering Combat Reflexes; also Extend Spell.

LadyLepidoptera

First Post
I was just looking at the Rules Compendium regarding incorporeality, and noticed this tidbit:

Magic items possessed by an incorporeal creature work normally with respect to their effects on the creature or on another target.
So.... will this work if I'm a globe? Do I have to have body slots (i.e. an appropriate shape)?

SolitonMan

Explorer
Supporter
I was just looking at the Rules Compendium regarding incorporeality, and noticed this tidbit:

So.... will this work if I'm a globe? Do I have to have body slots (i.e. an appropriate shape)?

I would think that any limitations due to the alternate form would take precedence. So anything that would meld with the new form and become non-functional would still be so. Anything that wouldn't be affected by the alternate form (Ioun stone maybe?) should still work based on the incorporeality ruling.

Remove ads