D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Help w/ Polymorph any object...

Drasmir

First Post
This is the (shortened) description of Polymorph Any Object from the SRD:

Polymorph Any Object
This spell functions like polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another. The duration of the spell depends on how radical a change is made from the original state to its enchanted state. The duration is determined by using the following guidelines.

Changed Subject Is: Increase to Duration Factor1
Same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral) +5
Same class (mammals, fungi, metals, etc.) +2
Same size +2
Related (twig is to tree, wolf fur is to wolf, etc.) +2
Same or lower Intelligence +2

Add all that apply. Look up the total on the next table.

Duration Factor/ Duration Example
0--> 20 minutes/ Pebble to human
2--> 1 hour/ Marionette to human
4--> 3 hours/ Human to marionette
5--> 12 hours/ Lizard to manticore
6--> 2 days/ Sheep to wool coat
7--> 1 week/ Shrew to manticore
9+--> Permanent/ Manticore to shrew

Unlike polymorph, polymorph any object does grant the creature the Intelligence score of its new form. If the original form didn’t have a Wisdom or Charisma score, it gains those scores as appropriate for the new form.
Damage taken by the new form can result in the injury or death of the polymorphed creature. In general, damage occurs when the new form is changed through physical force.
A nonmagical object cannot be made into a magic item with this spell. Magic items aren’t affected by this spell.
This spell cannot create material of great intrinsic value, such as copper, silver, gems, silk, gold, platinum, mithral, or adamantine. It also cannot reproduce the special properties of cold iron in order to overcome the damage reduction of certain creatures.

I'm looking at Polymorph Any Object for my character in order to increase his strength, but I want to go for a permanent change (9+ on duration factor). I see no problem with keeping the same kingdom as listed in the spell description, but class may be a problem. I am a human and I'm wondering what all would fall into my class (mammal). I'm sure most animals and most humanoids, but what about Outsiders (**EDIT** no Outsiders as noted in Polymorph description), magical beasts, etc.... How would you guys rule this one as far as class is concerned in the spell description?

Also, if I've got the kingdom +5 w/o a problem and if I can work the class +2, I need 2 more duration modifier points to make the spell permanent. I'm looking at same size or same/lower intelligence. I would like to keep my int. pretty close to what I've got right now (14) for skill points factor. Size can stay the same (medium), but I'm not sure if there are qualifying creatures that are medium size that have a high strength (I've got a 20 right now and want to up that score as much as possible). By the way, I am level 13. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Last edited:

Remove ads