D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Hydra CR undervalued now?

Vanye

Explorer
As I began working on updating my current adventure to 3.5 levels, I started working on the climactic beast of the adventure, a Monster of Legend 8 headed hydra.

An 8 headed hydra has, according to both 3.0 & 3.5 MM's, a CR of7. Now, the monster of legend template adds +2 to the CR of a creature for the 3 (I think; left the mm2 at home...) abilities it grants. One of the abilities is Fast Healing: 5.

Looking at the 3.5 hydra, I notice that it already has Fast Healing of 18 for an 8 headed hydra. It also grows two heads, within 1-4 rounds, if one is severed. I also notice that, yes, it is still a CR7. Now, my MM isn't handy, but I believe that this is the same ability that the Lenearean hydra had, and it had a higher CR.

Even if it didn't, the new hydra is much more dangerous than the old hydra is, and probably should have a CR at least equal to the number of heads, not (# of heads -1) that it currently is.

Thoughts?

Skaros

First Post
Hydras are definitely MUCH more powerful now. I am very happy, also, with the clarified mechanics for severing heads. Tying it to sunder rules.

Major fast healing, one severed head turning into 2 new heads. Wow.

My group is very lucky they ran into their 7 headed hydra (as lvl 5-6 characters) when they did...before 3.5.

Muahahaha.

Skaros

paranoid

Effectively, all hydrae are now lernaean.

Note also that to severe a head using sunder, you provoke an AoO, and - thanks to the hydras special combat reflexes - ALL heads may strike during that AoO. If you don't happen to have the improved sunder feat, that is.

Hydrae are definately more difficult and dangerous to kill.

Remove ads