• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Improved Familiar Feat

Pickaxe

Explorer
What I really want to know is....

"Where the heck is the brownie?"

This was the Lawful Good "special" familiar of 1e. The "special" familiars also included quasits, pseudodragons, and imps. I'm surprised brownies were left out of MM and fromt eh Improved Familiar list.

And while I'm at it, where's the leprechaun?

Pagan priest

First Post
I thought I saw a reference to the possibility of more that one familiar. Did anyone else see this?

And with the references to spending gold, are we going back to the old 1,000gp cost of getting a familiar?

Zarthon

Explorer
As far as I can tell the feat is the same as the Improved Familiar feat from Tome and Blood (with the exception of the prerequisite of sufficiently high level.

What bothers me about it is the Granted Abilities section. it says "Granted Abilities: In addition to their own special qualities, all familiars grant their masters the Alertness feat, the benefit of an empathic link, and the ability to share spells with the familiar.

So that would mean that if a wizard has a Pseudodragon Familiar as his familiar he would recieve blindsense 60 ft, dragon type, telepathy as well as the normally granted abilities of a familiar.

The main D&D FAQ says the following about this in the Familiars section: You’ve been misled by an error in the granted abilities text that appears on pages 13 and 14, which should read as follows: Granted Abilities: All familiars grant their master the benefits of the Alertness feat (when the familiar is within 5 feet), empathic link, and shared spells at 1st level in addition to
any special abilities listed above.
That is refering to the Improved Familiar feat from Tome and Blood.

Now I realize that the 3.5 version of this feat is not finalized until the book is released but I feel that this should have been corrected.

If familiars granted thier masters other abilities such as the Pseudodragon above or the elementals which would grant their masters the Elemental Ability: Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning; not subject to critical hits or flanking the Improved Familiar feat would be the number one feat that every wizard would take.

Other then that I quite like like the feat.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:

Remove ads