• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 is Anime! Wait, what?

hong

WotC's bitch
Arnwyn said:
Absolutely true. But the complaint was never "WotC is too anime", so indeed - completely beside the point. That thread was laughable from the beginning.

So, you want to open the "D&D is too anime" question to third-party publishers. In which case, I point to BESM d20. TEH ENB.

Arkhandus

First Post
Rechan said:
Okay. I know (and am glad) that the "4e=Video game/Anime/(insert)" arguments have really died down lately.

Paizo has announced they're sticking with 3.5+ (whatever you want to call it). So, clearly they're rejecting the stuff that is 4e.

So, I went over to Paizo's blog today. That's when this caught my eye:

Isn't that... like, raging anime? Spikey hair, HUGE sword, etc? So what the hell? I thought Anime influence into D&D was BAD. That it distracted away from D&D's roots and its feel, and all that.

Nah, that's just WAR's art for ya. And WAR's the artist behind 4th Edition too, anyway, so what's your point?

Though I agree that it would be better if Pathfinder stuck to a more traditional Western artistic style.

Hussar

Legend
Arkhandus said:
Nah, that's just WAR's art for ya. And WAR's the artist behind 4th Edition too, anyway, so what's your point?

Though I agree that it would be better if Pathfinder stuck to a more traditional Western artistic style.

Maybe. But, Paizo has been going the anime route for a long, long time. Ben Wooten, for example, did most of the art for the Savage Tide AP. Definitely strong anime roots there. Both Dungeon and Dragon featured quite a bit of strongly anime inspired artwork in the last few years and people loved it.

Go figure.

Moon-Lancer said:
that second link looks like German longsword. Its possible I am wrong and the stances are just similar.

According to the article I quoted (and several others on that website), the definitions of longsword, bastard sword and two-handed sword are blurry, and mostly a modern, artificial separation. This is because the different styles of swords evolved gradually into different sizes and shapes.

Same thing with what we call a rapier, swords did not become pointy and thin all of a sudden, there were several stages to that evolution

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Hussar said:
Maybe. But, Paizo has been going the anime route for a long, long time. Ben Wooten, for example, did most of the art for the Savage Tide AP. Definitely strong anime roots there. Both Dungeon and Dragon featured quite a bit of strongly anime inspired artwork in the last few years and people loved it.

Go figure.
I'm figuring that a lot - not all! - of the complaints are just flare-ups of neophobia triggered by the 4e.

Arnwyn

First Post
hong said:
So, you want to open the "D&D is too anime" question to third-party publishers. In which case, I point to BESM d20. TEH ENB.
*shrug* Who wants to? Beats me. I was never one of those (wackos) who were screaming that "3e is too anime!" either. I'm simply noting the complaint was never "WotC is too anime!". The original complaint was just an irrational lumping together of everything and anything that was d20-based by those who don't like anime or anything that could even be remotely construed as anime-influenced; thus the "3e is too anime!" nonsense. (But as we all know, lumping stuff together and then complaining about it gets one nowhere fast.)

Of course, then there is the confusion among certain ENWorlders that those who complain about 3e/anime are also the exact same people who like Paizo. Huh. The good ol' internet.

hong

WotC's bitch
Arnwyn said:
*shrug* Who wants to? Beats me. I was never one of those (wackos) who were screaming that "3e is too anime!" either. I'm simply noting the complaint was never "WotC is too anime!". The original complaint was just an irrational lumping together of everything and anything that was d20-based by those who don't like anime or anything that could even be remotely construed as anime-influenced; thus the "3e is too anime!" nonsense. (But as we all know, lumping stuff together and then complaining about it gets one nowhere fast.)

Heaven forbid that one should attempt to construct a meaningful hypothesis by which to disprove an irrational complaint. Perhaps from now on, it will be better to construct unmeaningful hypotheses by which to disprove irrational complaints. Or something.

Remove ads