• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3.5 is now out in Florida

dsfriii

First Post
TalonComics said:

So are you saying that Wal-Mart should be allowed to do whatever they want to when it comes to any product and street dates because they sell a ton of stuff?

I'd just like to point out that this isn't a game or a contest and for many small store owners it has easily killed a ton of their business.

Look at many of the posts regarding people cancelling their orders with Amazon because Wal-Mart is shipping early. Wal-Mart's actions effect everyone who has a stake in selling these books and the reaction by consumers is the very reason street dates are even put in place.

Heck, I want the books ASAP as well but in a fair manner that allows everyone to compete equally.

~D

And what about the posts you made to spur people to order from you and to cancel their Wal-mart and Amazon orders. Heck I even remember you braging how great you were and how we were suckers for ordering through Wal-mart and Amazon.

Yes I am saying Wal-mart has a ton of leverage against most of their suppliers and they can do alot of things. Do you really think Hasbro is going to punish Wal-mart for ignoring the release date??? For D&D??? If they do that, I think Wal-mart will strike back. Could you imagine if walmart purchased 20% or 30% less Hasbro products for Christmas???

Oh and arn't you also hurting the local small Gmae shops by selling over the internet for 20% of MSRP???

All of your complaining sounds like sour grapes to me

herald

First Post
dsfriii said:

And what about the posts you made to spur people to order from you and to cancel their Wal-mart and Amazon orders. Heck I even remember you braging how great you were and how we were suckers for ordering through Wal-mart and Amazon.

Yes I am saying Wal-mart has a ton of leverage against most of their suppliers and they can do alot of things. Do you really think Hasbro is going to punish Wal-mart for ignoring the release date??? For D&D??? If they do that, I think Wal-mart will strike back. Could you imagine if walmart purchased 20% or 30% less Hasbro products for Christmas???

Oh and arn't you also hurting the local small Gmae shops by selling over the internet for 20% of MSRP???

Sounds like your muck raking to me.

herald

First Post
Skaros said:

Muckraking:
"To search for and expose misconduct in public life."

Who were you talking about?

Muckraking also is spreading information about that may or may not be true intended to shame or embarrass.

Simular to Mudslinging, but not the same.

TalonComics

First Post
dsfriii said:

That is total BS. I've never called people suckers for ordering through Amazon or Wal-mart. I've accused people of being apathetic however. All I've said, in a nutshell, is that by purchasing from massive discounters over FLGSs you will effect the gaming hobby in the future in a detrimental way.

I've also said I understand those who want to save money which is part of my motivation to offer a discount for the books. However, expecting every place to sell the books at 30 to 40% off every release is insane and will only crash the hobby faster.

Wal-Mart isn't going to be punished for this but things will change as to how and when books will be shipped. That I know for a fact by talking to WotC and my distributor. Wal-Mart could say whatever they wanted to by not buying Hasbro but the reality is people would just buy Hasbro products elsewhere. I'm sure Target would love that.

As for me hurting FLGS by offering a discount: I *am* a FLGS. You can walk in my store today and get the revised core books for the same price I offer them online. Heck, I'm the one taking the loss by offering a discount and most retailers know that.

As for accusing me of sour grapes: I'm pissed off that this is happening but frankly I don't hold Wal-mart or any of the other places as the sole problem in this situation. This is my job and it's what I've been doing for 10 plus years. With that kind of experience I *do* know what kind of damage this can and is potentially causing for gaming.

My plan at this point is just to keep promoting gaming and places that support gaming as well. Like I've said in the past, you don't have to buy from me! Just support a FLGS whether it's an actual store or an online venue.

~Derek

Oberton

First Post
TalonComics said:

As for me hurting FLGS by offering a discount: I *am* a FLGS. You can walk in my store today and get the revised core books for the same price I offer them online. Heck, I'm the one taking the loss by offering a discount and most retailers know that.

~Derek

Most of the local stores here (New Orleans) are matching the 20% off if you mention it! Plus, most of the local stores are giving extra's to those who stop by to purchase it..

esorek

First Post
Oberton said:

Most of the local stores here (New Orleans) are matching the 20% off if you mention it! Plus, most of the local stores are giving extra's to those who stop by to purchase it..

I'm going to be in New Orleans tomorrow for a week long work related convention. Any idea where in New Orleans I'll be able to get the books?

TalonComics

First Post
youspoonybard said:
Does that mean you've got the books in, Derek?

WotC still hasn't approved releasing the distributors from the street date. My response to that is a phrase I can't put on these message boards. ;)

My distributor does have their shipment in though and they have plenty of the books. I'm hoping WotC will let them release them today so I will have them on Thursday. They will be made available no later than Friday of course.

~D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads