• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Looking for a template with no level adjustment that gives at least +1 to CON

Darkmantle26

First Post
I want my Human Dragonfire Adept to be able to take the Quicken Breath feat at first level, his CON is 18 and he needs it to be 19 for the feat. What level adjustmentless templates could I use to achieve this?

Last edited:

Darkmantle26

First Post
What book would that be from? You may, however be thinking of the Feral template from savage species, which has a level adjustment of +1 and gives no bonuses to Constitution.

I could not find anything with a +1 bump to Con. There are several +2 Con templates with a low level adjustment. Half-Minotaur (Dragon Mag) and Draconic (RotD) have a +1 adjustment. Could you play as a dwarf and get their +2 Con?

Darkmantle26

First Post
I could not find anything with a +1 bump to Con. There are several +2 Con templates with a low level adjustment. Half-Minotaur (Dragon Mag) and Draconic (RotD) have a +1 adjustment. Could you play as a dwarf and get their +2 Con?

I'd much rather play a human for the extra skill points and feat, and I needed at least +1, +2s are good too

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Doesn't the Dragonborn of Bahamut thing give +2 Con? It causes you to lose most non-stat racial features, which might be a dealbreaker, but it's a +0 template that adds +2 Con -2 Dex among other things. You couldn't have the bonus feat for being a Human, for example. You would keep the Human "any" favored class, though, which is nice if you want to do any multiclassing. The -2 Dex might be a problem, given the Dragonfire Adept's dependence on light armor though.

That said, as long as you're cool with playing a Good character that actually LOOKS like a dragon, the Dragonborn of Bahamut template seems perfect for your purposes. Plus, you don't have to take the Aspect of the Heart to get a dragon breath, though if you do it gives you another separate form which--I think--could benefit from metabreath feats and breath tweaks. Wings might be more useful in the long run, since that's the one benefit Dragonfire Adept doesn't innately confer on its own.

If your DM allows it you could even take Lesser Aasimar for ultimate stat bonuses (+2 to Cha, Wis, AND Con, -2 Dex), though you keep essentially nothing else. If you can find some way to get a different stat to AC other than Dex (esp. Con or Wis), though, it'd be sweet indeed.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
If you're willing to lose the Human advantage in skills and feats (I think you said you weren't but Dragonborn of Bahamut loses it anyway), have you considered Dwarf?

Empirate

First Post
Intermediate Troll bloodline offers Con +1 at 6th level. That good? Bloodlines are not templates, and work a little differently - in effect you gain something that resembles a template with its level adjustment already bought off, by paying a bunch of XP during play. But since you're behind the average level of your group (while having gained the advantages of the bloodline), you'll catch up eventually.

See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#troll

I'd much rather play a human for the extra skill points and feat, and I needed at least +1, +2s are good too

Three independent thoughts come to mind here:

1. You shouldn't find any race with a +1 to any stat. They will always be +2 in anything official or in any third party product that's worth considering. This is one of the fundamental rules of race mechanics.

2. Technically, your Dragonfire Adept doesn't qualify for Metabreath feats. The Draconomicon states "To take a metabreath feat, a creature must have a breath weapon whose time between breaths is expressed in rounds." Note that this is buried in the descriptive text introducing Metabreath feats and isn't in the feat block, so it's a commonly missed rule.

3. Getting the bonus feat is by far the most powerful benefit of playing as a human. If you're not willing to give that up you simply shouldn't expect any stat bonuses. Just wait till a higher level and take your (houseruled) feat later. Quickening something is generally one of the highest powered and most valuable modifications (see: Quicken Spell). You really don't need it at first level.

Last edited:

Greenfield

Adventurer
The thing about doing this through a template, as opposed to a different race, is that templates don't change the base race, nor eliminate racial bonuses like extra skills or feats.

Remove ads