• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 low magic campaign tips

Yora

Legend
My simple solution to such campaigns is that there are simply no people in the world who have more than 10 levels. Even everything above 6th level is very rare and usually not found in common villages and most towns.

If you know the PCs will most likely never reach 8th level, this is much easier than E6 with pretty much the same effect.

Celebrim

Legend
Hi,

I'll be DM-ing again for the first time in a few years. The concept is a D&D 3.5 homebrew low magic campaign.

I was wondering whether you could give me some tips to properly incorporate the low-magic bit.

This is what I got sofar:

* Magic items are rare remnants from another era.

* Those magic items which remain are few but powerful.

* Magic item crafting is out (knwoledge has been lost).

* Magic items are seldom for sale.

* (NPC) Spellcasters are rare too.

* Temples offer religious services, not magical healing.

* Libraries have books, not spells/magical tomes.

* Wizards have to work hard to find sources for new spells (=sidequests).

Add to that...

* Sorcerers and other means of spontaneous spellcasting don't exist.
* Reduce the only available to divine spellcasting class to either Adept (very low power) or Green Ronin's Shaman (medium to high power).
* Magic is feared, widely distrusted, and anyone practicing magic in a way that encourages this fear is subject to official persecution and unofficial lynching. Merely having a peasant say, "This person cast a spell on me...", is enough to raise the specter of public fear and superstition, that can lead to society lashing out against a spellcaster in a lethal fashion.

You are going to have some interesting balance issues.

If the PC's are one of the worlds few sources of concentrated magical power, and magic is rare, then vast majority of the world's NPC's won't be able to comprehend, understand, or effectively counter what the PC's are capable of. A simple 'invisibility' spell let loose in you campaign world, can potentially be game wrecking. If the party is rich in spellcasters and lost relics therefore the only effective source of high level magic around, it's going to make the really important to the world compared to normal games.

Conversely, if you add the typical panopoly of magical monsters to the list of threats the PC's must overcome, they'll be greatly disadvantaged compared to parties of equivalent level in more consensus D&D. Monsters that have DR/magic of some sort are much more dangerous if it can be presumed that most PC's will lack magic weapons. You'll have to be careful that as the party level increases, you take care to lower slightly over time the expectations about what the party is able to handle.

You are also going to have some interesting interparty balance issues. Non-spellcasters tend to be more gear dependent in D&D than spellcasters, who can always conjure up long duration buffs to partially substitute for missing gear. If you have a fighter facing opponent's with DR/magic, then you've crippled the fighter compared to the spellcaster facing the same opponent but with save or suck and energy attacks instead. You probably are going to need to watch your balance even more than in more typical D&D campaigns. One easy balancer that has worked well for me is to elimenate the spell level from the calculations of a spell's saving throw DC. In other words, all spells from a given caster have the same DC regardless of the level of the spell. this makes it harder for spellcaster's to dominate the action economy, without gimping spellcasters completely.

Dandu

First Post
Merely having a peasant say, "This person cast a spell on me...", is enough to raise the specter of public fear and superstition, that can lead to society lashing out against a spellcaster in a lethal fashion.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYO0joolR0]She turned me into a NEWT! - YouTube[/ame]

Water Bob

Adventurer
My simple solution to such campaigns is that there are simply no people in the world who have more than 10 levels. Even everything above 6th level is very rare and usually not found in common villages and most towns.

If you know the PCs will most likely never reach 8th level, this is much easier than E6 with pretty much the same effect.

Yes, good point. I should have mentioned that in my post earlier. The Conan RPG focusses as a low level game. Yes, characters can reach 20th level, but the core rulebook plainly states that characters 12th level and above are extremely rare. Commoners go to 10th level max. And most people in the game world never rise above 3rd level. A 4th level character is considered an elite--like the best warrior among a raiding party or the leader of a band of bandits. 8th level is suitable for clan chieftains and other leader types. A typical savage warrior is probably level 1 or 2.

Sekhmet

First Post
Yes, good point. I should have mentioned that in my post earlier. The Conan RPG focusses as a low level game. Yes, characters can reach 20th level, but the core rulebook plainly states that characters 12th level and above are extremely rare. Commoners go to 10th level max. And most people in the game world never rise above 3rd level. A 4th level character is considered an elite--like the best warrior among a raiding party or the leader of a band of bandits. 8th level is suitable for clan chieftains and other leader types. A typical savage warrior is probably level 1 or 2.

Conan himself wasn't much more than level 8 (D&D terms) maximum.
I could potentially field arguments for lv12, but I'd be playing Devil's Advocate for omgmyfavoritefantastyherolevel20lol.

I like Conan for it's focus on the fantastically mundane. That level of play has always my favorite.

Speaking of which, does anyone have OGL versions of his character sheet from different points in his life, using the Conan RPG system?

Water Bob

Adventurer
Speaking of which, does anyone have OGL versions of his character sheet from different points in his life, using the Conan RPG system?

Vincent Darlage, who is probably the most prolific writer of the 1st and Atlantean Editions of the Conan RPG, covered Conan's career in the below.

I pretty much agree with what Vincent writes except that Darlage felt the need to take Conan all the way to 20th level. I can see the argument. Conan is supposed to be the greatest fighter that ever lived, so he should reach the highest level possible in the game right?

I disagree with that because I think that there needs to be room for ultra human characters--the Hyborian Age equivalent of Hercules and Perseus--that that are part human and part something else (part god or whatnot). I think characters with magical boosts could get that far, too (like Thulsa Doom and Thoth Amon).

I think the very high levels of the game should be reserved for the likes of the undying Princess Akivasha (From Hour of the Dragon), Natohk/Thugra Kotan (from Black Colossus), and resurrected Acheronian Sorcerer Xaltotun (from Hour of the Dragon).

It's hard for me to accept, given the Conan rules, a purely human character that is higher than 15th level. Level 15 should be the pinnacle for humans and reserved for the most legendary heroes like Achilles, King Arthur, and Lancelot. Conan should fit into this group.

Although the 1st and Atlantean Editions hint at a low level focussed game through a couple NPC examples, it wasn't until the Second Edition of the game that the authors wrote a section in the rule book spelling out what the character levels mean and saying that characters 12th level and beyond are exceedingly rare.

Vincent, the author of the below, wrote Conan before this section saw print, and that may be why he took Conan all the way to level 20.

To Vincent's credit, though, his lower level versions of Conan seem to be spot-on, and if you notice, Conan becomes a 15th level Barbarian with 1st and 2nd level entries in four other classes. It's almost as if Vincent agreed that a human shouldn't exceed farther than 15th level, but the game went to 20, so he sprinkled four low level multi-classes to make up the other 5 levels.

If I were to re-do what Vincent has here, I'd probably mirror a lot of what Vincent has written except that I wouldn't take Conan past 15 level, even with the multi-classes. I'd probably keep those multi-classes but make Conan a 10th level Barbarian (and adust his history accordingly).

If Conan were ever written up using the Second Edition rules (of the Conan RPG, of course), I suspect he would be more along the lines of what I suggest.

Looking a bit harder at what Vincent wrote, I'd probably adjust Conan's stats a bit. I'm not sure a CHA 16 is appropriate for a 1st level Conan--not from what I've read. But, maybe he needs that for certain leaderships Feats later--Conan is supposed to be an extremely good leader with loyal men. They weren't always that loyal, though, so I think his CHA, later in life, is good but not "GREAT".

Anyway, I digress...

But, you asked for it! You got it! Here's the various versions of Conan The Barbarian, OGL, as he goes through his life, through the eyes of Vincent Darlage.

[sblock]

Conan

Conan of Venarium

Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 1)
Hit Dice: 1d10+3 (9 hit points)
Initiative: +6 (+4 Dex, +2 Ref)
Speed: 30 ft.
Dodge Defence: 14 (+0 level, +4 Dex)
Parry Defence: 15 (+0 level, +5 Str)
DR: -
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +1/+6
Attack: Broadsword +6 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +6 melee
Damage: Broadsword 1d10+5
Special Attacks: Versatility (-2 penalty)
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +5 (+8 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 18, Con 17, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 16
Skills: Climb +11, Craft (blacksmith) +4, Hide +6, Intimidate +5, Jump +9, Listen +6, Move Silently +8, Spot +6, Survival +6
Feats: Fighting-Madness, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Leadership: -
Code of Honour: Barbaric
Allegiances: None
Possessions: Broadsword, pantherskin loinclout

Conan the Cimmerian is born on a battlefield, during a fight between his tribe and Vanir raiders. Clad in a pantherskin loin-clout, he spends his youth amid the continual warfare that takes place on the mountainous northern frontiers of Cimmeria. His grandfather had taken part on raids into the Hyborian kingdoms, and his tales instill within Conan a desire to see the civilized world.

At the age of fifteen, he stands six foot and weighs 180 pounds, and even though he still lacks much of his later growth, his name is already being repeated around the council fires. His first notable success is when the Cimmerians tribes band together to destroy the Gunderland fort-town of Venarium, built in an attempt to colonize the southern marches of Cimmeria. Shortly thereafter, Conan leaves Cimmeria, but instead of heading south into the Hyborian lands, he travels north and joins the Æsir, fighting against the Vanir and the Hyperboreans for several months.

Conan of the Æsir

The Frost Giant's Daughter
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 2)
Hit Dice: 2d10+6 (18 hit points)
Initiative: +7 (+4 Dex, +3 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 15 (+1 level, +4 Dex)
DR: 6 (mail shirt, helmet)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +2/+7
Attack: Broadsword +7 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +7 melee
Special Attacks: Versatility (-2 penalty), crimson mist
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +5 (+8 vs. Corruption)
Skills: Climb +12, Craft (blacksmith) +4, Hide +6, Intimidate +5, Jump +10, Listen +7, Move Silently +9, Spot +7, Survival +7
Feats: Fighting-Madness, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Possessions: Broadsword, helmet, mail armour

Last survivor of an Æsir raiding party, Conan has a supernatural encounter with the gods of the Northlands. During an ill-fated Æsir raid into Hyperborea, Conan is captured, developing a hatred of Hyperboreans that lasts his whole life. He escapes southward, into the Hyborian nation of Brythunia. Penniless and hungry, Conan decides to take what he wants by swordpoint. Eventually he winds up in Numalia, a Nemedian city on the trade-routes.

Conan the Thief

The God in the Bowl, The Tower of the Elephant, Hall of the Dead
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 2/thief 1)
Hit Dice: 2d10+1d8+9 (29 hit points)
Initiative: +9 (+4 Dex, +5 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 15 (+1 level, +4 Dex)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +2/+7
Attack: Broadsword +7 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +7 melee
Special Attacks: Versatility (-2 penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), trap disarming
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +9, Will +5 (+8 vs. Corruption)
Skills: Balance +5, Climb +13, Craft (blacksmith) +4, Gather Information +4, Hide +7, Intimidate +5, Jump +10, Knowledge (geography) +3, Listen +8, Move Silently +10, Search +3, Spot +8, Survival +7, Tumble +5
Feats: Brawl, Fighting-Madness, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Possessions: Broadsword, loincloth, cheap tunic, sandals, belt

New to civilization, and entirely lawless, Conan attempts to loot a Numalian treasure-house, and is caught between the authorities and an ancient menace. The murder of Aztrias Petanius forces Conan to flee Nemedia westward into Aquilonia. He continues to practice his thieving skills with varying degrees of success. A short time later, he relocates in Koth. Learning that Zamorans are masters of the art of thievery, Conan resolves to travel there to make his mark. He enters Zamora’s City of Thieves around a year after leaving Cimmeria.

More daring than skilled at thievery, Conan attempts to steal a fabled jewel from the tower of the wizard Yara in Zamora’s fabled City of Thieves. He is about 17 years old. Conan spends his time in Zamora establishing himself as a professional thief, becoming quite successful at it. His depredations eventually attract the attention of the local authorities. Conan ambushes a patrol sent out to capture him and enlists the help of its only survivor, a Gunderman mercenary named Nestor, to loot a ruined city of the ancients.

Conan the Rogue

Rogues in the House, The Hand of Nergal
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 5/thief 1)
Hit Dice: 5d10+1d8+24 (56 hit points)
Initiative: +10 (+4 Dex, +6 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 17 (+3 level, +4 Dex)
Parry Defence: 16 (+1 level, +5 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +5/+10
Attack: Broadsword +10 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +10 melee
Special Attacks: Versatility (-2 penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), trap disarming
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +1, uncanny dodge, mobility
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +7 (+10 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +6, Climb +14, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +4, Hide +7, Intimidate +5, Jump +13, Knowledge (geography) +4, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Search +4, Spot +12, Survival +8, Tumble +5
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Possessions: Broadsword, loincloth, tunic

Pressure from the Zamoran authorities forces Conan and Nestor to leave the country and they end up in one of the independent city-states on its western border. Conan is still a professional thief, albeit harder and more experienced. Thrown in jail for the murder of the priest that betrayed his partner, Conan agrees to become an assassin to gain his freedom. He is probably around 19 years old. Conan leaves Murillo’s city-state on his newly acquired horse. He uses it to return for a brief period to Cimmeria. Conan then heads back to the rich southlands. He decides to change his profession and signs up for a stint as a mercenary swordsman in a Corinthian army.

Conan is just about the only survivor of a battle, presumably near the city of Yaralet. Travelling southward, Conan hires on as a mercenary to a rebel prince in eastern Koth. The prince makes peace with the Kothian King and the five thousand newly unemployed mercenaries, calling themselves the Free Companions, take to impartially plundering the outlying reaches of Koth, Zamora, and Turan. Shah Amurath, Turanian lord of Akif, fields an army of fifteen thousand and traps the mercenary kozaki against the Ilbars River in Turan and annihilates them almost to a man. Conan attempts to escape the slaughter by heading eastward toward the Vilayet Sea.

Conan of the Red Brotherhood

(Iron Shadows on the Moon)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 5/thief 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 5d10+2d8+28 (65 hit points)
Initiative: +10 (+4 Dex, +6 Ref)
Speed: 25 ft.* (mail hauberk and superior scale corselet)
Dodge Defence: 17 (+3 level, +4 Dex)
Parry Defence: 16 (+1 level, +5 Str)
DR: 9 (+8 mail hauberk and superior scale corselet, +1 steel cap)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +5/+10
Attack: Broadsword +10 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +10/+5 melee
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +1, uncanny dodge, mobility
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +10, Will +7 (+10 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +6, Bluff +6, Climb +14, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +4, Hide +7, Intimidate +7, Jump +13, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (geography) +6, Listen +12, Move Silently +12, Profession (sailor) +4, Search +5, Spot +12, Survival +8, Tumble +6
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Allegiances:
Possessions: Broadsword

Conan and a girl named Olivia are trapped amidst a trinity of perils on a devil-haunted island in the Vilayet Sea.

Conan is the captain of a pirate galley for only a short time. This is the first time he has been in a leadership position, but unfortunately, his lack of seafaring experience compels the crew to abandon him at the first opportunity. Conan finds himself on the eastern side of the Vilayet Sea and visits several major Hyrkanian cities. Meanwhile, King Yildiz of Turan has died or been deposed, and his successor, Yezdigerd, embarks on a series of imperial campaigns which will make him the master of the greatest empire on Earth. While in Hyrkania, Conan fights against the invading Turanians, learning the craft of archery while working as a mercenary warrior.

Conan the Throat-Slitter

(Amra the Lion)

(Black Colossus, Queen of the Black Coast)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 7/thief 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+1d8+36 (84 hit points)
Initiative: +11 (+4 Dex, +7 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 19 (+5 level, +4 Dex)
Parry Defence: 18 (+2 level, +6 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +7/+13
Attack: Broadsword +13 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +13/+8 melee
Damage: Broadsword 1d10+6
Special Attacks: Versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), trap disarming
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +2, uncanny dodge, mobility
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +8 (+11 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 22, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 17
Skills: Balance +8, Bluff +9, Climb +16, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +4, Hide +9, Intimidate +8, Jump +14, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (geography) +6, Listen +14, Move Silently +15, Profession (sailor) +4, Search +5, Spot +12, Survival +10, Tumble +6
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Allegiances: Yasmela or Bêlit
Possessions: Broadsword, mail hauberk and superior scale corselet, cloak

Tiring of the east, Conan wanders westward and has an unpleasant experience with a band of kozaki under the command of a Zaporoskan River hetman named Olgerd Vladislav. Conan reenters the Hyborian lands and enlists in the mercenary army of Amalric of Nemedia, working his way up to captain of the mercenary spearmen. Amalric hires out his mercenary army to Yasmela, queen-regent of the border kingdom of Khoraja. Conan is around 22 years old.

Conan is chosen by Queen Yasmela (with the urging of Mitra) to lead her country’s defence against the high-powered sorcery of the resurrected Thugra Khotan of Kuthchemes. After the defeat of Natohk, Conan’s position as General in the nation of Khoraja erodes as his only support is from the Queen. Eventually, he leaves and begins looking for a new war to enlist in. Hearing news of possible war in Argos, he rides westward to check it out. Trouble with the law in Messantia impels him to take the first ship heading south.

Conan joins the she-pirate Bêlit and her crew of Black Corsairs aboard her ship, the Tigress. He is about 23 years old. Conan becomes known along the Black Coast as Amra, the Lion. Bêlit is the love of his life and that life is good. Together they sack the Black Coast city of Abombi and burn the Stygian Fleet in its harbour at Khemi. Then comes the day Conan hears about the city on the Zarkheba River.

Conan the Mercenary

(The Snout in the Dark, Xuthal of the Dusk)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 7/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+40 (92 hit points)
Initiative: +14 (+5 Dex, +9 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 20 (+5 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 18 (+2 level, +6 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +8/+14
Attack: Broadsword +14 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +14/+9 melee
Damage: Broadsword 1d10+6
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), trap disarming
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +2, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +14, Will +8 (+11 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 18
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +10, Climb +16, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +6, Hide +10, Intimidate +9, Jump +14, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (geography) +6, Listen +14, Move Silently +16, Profession (sailor) +4, Ride +8, Search +6, Spot +12, Survival +10, Tumble +7
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Possessions: Aquilonian broadsword, Kothic superior scale corselet, Nemedian mail hauberk, Aesir horned helmet (steel cap), Shemite bow (+4), good-quality Ophirean cloak (scarlet).

Following the death of Bêlit, Conan leaves the jungles of the Black Coast behind and makes his way northward toward the nation of Kush, acquiring a horse along the way. He is 25 years old. Conan rides into Shumballa, the capital of Kush at a time when a demon is terrorizing the city. He rescues Tananda, sister of the king of Kush, from a raging mob and is offered the job of captain of the royal guard. Conan becomes embroiled in the intrigue which follows until, at last, the true master of the demon is exposed. The events in motion around Tananda prove to be too unstable for Conan to control as captain of the royal guard. He leaves Shumballa and travels to one of Kush’s ports, where he gains passage back to Hyborian shores.

Upon arrival, Conan hears news of a big war in Koth. He learns that his old employer, the rebellious prince Almuric, is once again feuding with the unpopular King Strabonus, and is gathering an army from far and wide. Conan travels to Koth to join the fighting as a swordsman. Almuric’s rebellion is crushed and sent reeling by the forces of King Strabonus, and his mercenary army flees headlong through the lands of Shem and into the outlands of Stygia. With a Stygian host at its heels, Almuric’s army of thirty thousand strong cuts its way out of the eldritch nation, and through to the desert beyond Kush, only to be utterly annihilated; half by arrow, the other half by a rolling, black plague that the Stygians summoned. Conan and a young Brythunian camp-follower named Natala are the only survivors.

Fleeing southward into the desert, Conan and Natala discover the time-lost city of Xuthal and must deal with its demonic deity. Conan and Natala reach the grasslands to the south of Xuthal and apparently decide to travel northeast and back toward Stygia by skirting the eastern edge of the desert. Most likely they fell in with a Luxor-bound caravan that had recently come up from the southern black nations; Conan can easily have hired on as a guard. I believe that either another caravan guard or merchant from the semi-mythical land of Punt befriends and regales Conan with stories of his nation’s history, culture, and customs. The journey northward takes them through the western parts of Darfar where he encounters members of its cannibal cult for the first time. It also passes along Lake Zuad, where a mongrel Stygian race called the Tlazitlans live. At last, the caravan’s journey ends at the capital of Luxor, the most cosmopolitan of the Stygian cities.

Conan and Natala soon part ways and he wanders across the city-states of Shem, eventually becoming the captain of the royal guard in the frontier kingdom of Khauran, on the eastern edge of Koth. He is 26 years old.

Conan the Zuagir/Kozak

(A Witch Shall Be Born, The Devil in Iron)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 9/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+40+6 (98 hit points)
Initiative: +15 (+5 Dex, +10 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 21 (+6 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 20 (+3 level, +7 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +10/+17
Attack: Scimitar +17 melee
Full Attack: Scimitar +17/+12 melee
Damage: Scimitar 1d8+7
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword)
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +3, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +15, Will +9 (+12 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 18
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +12, Climb +18, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +6, Hide +12, Intimidate +11, Jump +17, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (geography) +7, Listen +14, Move Silently +18, Profession (sailor) +4, Ride +8, Search +6, Spot +14, Survival +10, Tumble +7
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Track bonus
Leadership: 18
Possessions: Crimson scarf around his head, wide silk breeches, broad sash, scimitar in shagreen scabbard and gilt-worked leather boots.

Khauran’s Queen Taramis is overthrown by her sorceress sister and Conan is nailed to a cross to die. He is rescued by Olgerd Vladislav, who has left the kozaki and has become the chief of the Zuagir, a band of desert tribesmen. Seven months later, Conan deposes Olgerd, rallies the Khauranians to revolt, and retakes the kingdom, restoring Taramis to her throne. He decides to remain as the chief of the Zuagir.

Not content with merely raiding Turanian outposts and Shemitish city-states, Conan uses his desert-wolves to systematically ravage the Turanian outlands. At one point he even considers sacking the Turanian city of Zamboula, going so far as to personally go there to get a measure of the city. Before this plan can be carried out, Conan leaves the Zuagirs for unknown reasons (presumably due to a combination of problems dealing with an extremely large group being continually supplied and supported in what is basically an arid wasteland and with the Turan’s decision to field an army to deal with the Zuagir problem).

Conan doesn’t waste any time mourning the breakup of the Zuagir horde. He rides eastward to the steppes along the southern edge of the Vilayet Sea and wanders into the armed camps the kozaki bandits. Using no other possession than his wits and his sword, he carves his way to leadership among them. Conan seems to have learned a thing or two about running an army of brigands. As hetman, he allies his kozaki with the pirates of the Vilayet, allowing him to make lightning raids with smaller forces. He continually uses these raids to entice the local Turanians forces into chasing him, and then either destroys them or eludes them and sacks the city in their absence. His brigands loot Khitan and Vendhyan caravans by the score. The local Turanian lord decides to solve this problem with a beautiful piece of bait.

Conan the Adventurer

(People of the Black Circle, Man-Eaters of Zamboula)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 10/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+40+9 (102 hit points)
Initiative: +16 (+5 Dex, +11 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 22 (+7 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 20 (+3 level, +7 Str)
DR: 1 (+1 natural)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +11/+18
Attack: Zhaibar Knife +18 melee or Broadsword +18 melee
Full Attack: Zhaibar Knife +18/+13/+8 melee or Broadsword +18/+13/+8 melee
Damage: Zhaibar Knife 1d12+7 / x2 / AP 8 or Broadsword 1d10+7 / 19-20 x2 / AP 10
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword)
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +3, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge, improved mobility, damage reduction
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +16, Will +9 (+12 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 17, Wis 17, Cha 18
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +13, Climb +19, Craft (blacksmith) +5, Gather Information +6, Hide +12, Intimidate +12, Jump +17, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (geography) +6, Listen +15, Move Silently +19, Profession (sailor) +4, Ride +8, Search +6, Spot +15, Survival +13, Tumble +7
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Striking Cobra, Track bonus
Leadership: 19
Possessions: Zhaibar knife, Afghuli Hillman clothing or ragged nomad clothing and broadsword

The local Turanian authorities are unable to stop Conan’s wholesale plunder; presumably, it is his sack of Khawarizm gains the attention of their Grand Monarch, Yezdigerd. The Turanian emperor sends Kerim Shah, his most trusted spy, to infiltrate Conan’s camp and gather intelligence. He poses as a Hyrkanian renegade and manages to quickly rise as one of Conan’s lieutenants. His intelligence reports prove to be an invaluable aid in the destruction of Conan’s schemes. Like all great spies, Kerim Shah manages to drop out of sight before the Cimmerian figures out who betrayed him. Conan escapes whatever happens and heads out east into the wilds of Hyrkania. In an uninhabited mountain range he happens across an archaic symbol carved in the rock of a cave. He finally decides to head south toward the Himelian Mountains and the nation of Vendhya.

While crossing the northernmost Vendhyan province of Ghulistan, Conan falls in with the war-like Afghuli hillclans, and in a show of resilience, quickly rises to chieftainship. He manages to wield at least seven of the fractious clans together into a makeshift army of hillmen, held together primarily by his own will and the lure of plunder. As war-chief, he manages to seriously annoy both the Vendhyans and Yezdigerd’s Turanians, who are busy expanding southeastward into Afghulistan. Fate intervenes when seven headmen of his Afghulis are captured by the Vendhyans.

Conan kidnaps Yasmina, the Devi of Vendhya, in an attempt to ransom the release of his Afghulis. He loses her to the sorceries of the Black Seers of Mount Yimsha and is compelled to join forces with his old enemy, Kerim Shah, to attempt a rescue.

Events subsequently conspire against Conan and he gives up his attempt to wield the Afghulis into an army. He drifts into Vendhya and then decides to head west, traveling through Kosala. He decides to rejoin the kozaki, but finds them scattered and a substantial price on his head. Conan travels southward into Iranistan in an attempt to skirt the ever-expanding edge of the Turan’s empire. Running low on money, he heads for the city of Zamboula in an attempt to increase his funds by gambling.

After a brush with the Darfari cannibal cult, Conan rescues Zamboula’s satrap from the magic of the priest of Hanuman, steals the satrap’s ring, and indulges in a bit of vengeance before taking his leave of the city.

Conan heads northwest back into Hyborian lands with plans to ransom the Star of Khorala back to the Queen of Ophir for a “room-full” of gold. Whether he accomplishes this and how long the proceeds last are anybody’s guess, although apparently it doesn’t last long. It’s possible that he makes one of his infrequent trips to Cimmeria at this time. Conan is around 29 years of age at this stage of his career.

Conan has returned to find the West is afire. Argos and Stygia are warring with each other. The northern maritime nation has managed to get Koth embroiled in the war. Argos is paying good money to hire mercenaries, and Conan decides to sign up under the command of Prince Zapayo da Kova. The plan is for Argos to strike Stygia by sea, while the Kothic army invades by land from the north. The Argive navy smashes the Stygian fleet and drives it back into the port of Khemi. Their admiral, Prince Zapayo, is overly cautious and sails southward, coming ashore on Stygia’s border with Kush. His plan is to drive into the heart of the Stygian interior and link up with the Kothic army. His plan fails when Koth betrays Argos and makes a separate peace with the Stygians. In desperation the mercenary army attempts to skirt the border of Stygia and make for the deserts of eastern Shem. The northern Stygian army intercepts them and after an all-day battle, the Stygians retreat. The following day another army from Khemi catches up to Prince Zapayo’s depleted forces and between the two Stygian forces the Argive host ceases to exist. Conan and a young Aquilonian named Amalric escape southward into the desert since there is no other way to go. Conan tells Amalric that he has been in this part of the world before and that he feels confident that they can survive. They are harried from oasis to oasis by Stygian riders, eventually becoming lost in the trackless desert. Fate conspires to separate the two men when Conan is knocked unconscious and Amalric leaves him to flee into the desert.

Conan the Warrior

(Drums of Tombalku, Vale of Lost Women)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 12/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+50+15 (118 hit points)
Initiative: +17 (+5 Dex, +12 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 24 (+9 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 21 (+4 level, +7 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +13/+20
Attack: Broadsword +20 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +20/+15/+10 melee
Damage: Broadsword 1d10+7
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), greater crimson mist
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +4, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge, improved mobility, damage reduction
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +17, Will +11 (+14 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +15, Climb +19, Craft (blacksmith) +6, Gather Information +6, Hide +12, Intimidate +13, Jump +17, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (geography) +8, Listen +16, Move Silently +19, Profession (sailor) +5, Ride +10, Search +7, Spot +18, Survival +14, Tumble +9
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Dabbler (counterspells), Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Striking Cobra, Track bonus
Leadership: 21
Possessions: Aquilonian broadsword, loincloth, plumed head-dress

A captive, Conan is hauled into the desert city of Tombalku. Condemned to death, he is recognized as the corsair Amra by one of its two kings and is freed. The king, Sakumbe, is Conan’s friend and makes him the general of the horsemen. This leads to Conan being reunited with Amalric, who, together with a local girl named Lissa, are being pursued by demonic horsemen. Conan eventually deposes the other king, but political intrigue (and the revelation that Amalric killed one of their gods in Lissa’s home city of Gazal) brings everything crashing down. Conan, Amalric, and Lissa barely escape with their lives.

Conan drifts southwestward into the black kingdoms south of Kush. During this time, he watches a Kushite witch-finder scratch an arcane symbol into the sand of a nameless river. The Cimmerian recognizes it as the symbol he saw on the cave-wall in Hyrkania, and finds out that the glyph is sacred to Jhebbal Sag, a being that all of the creatures of earth used to worship.

The Cimmerian falls in with the war-like Bamula tribesmen. His reputation as Amra has preceded him, and because his martial prowess is so impressive, he quickly finds himself elevated to war-chief of the fierce tribe. As war-chief, Conan learns the lesson that life is hard, death is sudden, and that treachery is a virtue in the black kingdoms.

Conan the Barachan

(Pool of the Black One)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 12/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 2)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+50+15+2 (120 hit points)
Initiative: +18 (+5 Dex, +13 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 25 (+10 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 22 (+5 level, +7 Str)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +14/+21
Attack: Broadsword +21 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +21/+16/+11 melee
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), greater crimson mist, to sail a road of blood and slaughter
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +4, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge, improved mobility, damage reduction, pirate code (Barachan rockets and smoke)
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +18, Will +11 (+14 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +15, Climb +19, Craft (blacksmith) +6, Gather Information +6, Hide +12, Intimidate +13, Jump +17, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (geography) +9, Listen +16, Move Silently +19, Perform (song) +6, Profession (sailor) +9, Ride +10, Search +7, Spot +18, Survival +14, Tumble +9
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Dabbler (counterspells), Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Striking Cobra, Track bonus
Possessions: Bright crimson silk breeks, broad gold-buckled girdle, broadsword

Conan makes good on his promise to take Livia to the borders of Stygia and sends her home. Realizing that he doesn’t really care to return to his Bamulas, Conan travels westward until he reaches the Western Sea. He is 30 years old and about to make his mark on the West.

Upon reaching the coast, Conan is picked up by a ship of the Barachan Pirates. He remains true to his nature and irresistibly rises to command his own pirate vessel. Conan soon proves to be as adroit and ferocious a pirate as he was a Bamula war-chief. He sinks ships, sacks towns, and in time becomes legendary as one of the greatest scourges of the Western Sea, renowned for his audacious exploits. The men of the “Red Brotherhood” are eager to ship with him because he leads them to rare loot. At last, several jealous pirate lords conspire to bring Conan down and he is lured to a rendezvous at Tortage, in the Barachan Isles. Conan escapes the trap, but is compelled to flee the Barachas in a leaky rowboat.

Conan is picked up by the Wastrel, a ship of buccaneers led by the Zingaran renegade, Zaporavo. Conan joins the “Fellowship of Freebooters” as a member of the crew. On a trip deep into the empty Western Sea, Zaporavo discovers a mysterious island. Conan conspires to kill him while ashore, but quickly runs afoul of the ancient evil that abides there.

As captain, Conan sails the Wastrel back eastward to where the “seaports are fat, and the merchant ships are crammed with plunder”. Conan probably attempts to inflict his vengeance upon the Barachan pirate lords who betrayed him by raiding their holdings and sinking their ships. This has the effect of making the Zingaran authorities a bit more kindly disposed toward him; they won’t try to hang him, as long as he directs his depredations upon Argos and Stygia. Conan has varying degrees of success as a Freebooter, but nothing as audacious as when he sailed with the Barachans. He is nearly 33 years old when a storm shatters the Wastrel upon a reef, presumably upon the Pelishtim coast of Shem.

Washed ashore half-dead, Conan is discovered and spends the next several weeks regaining his health and strength in the city of Asgalun. His spends his time familiarizing himself with the basics of the written Pelishtim language and even meets some wise men who have managed to extend their lives by several hundred years. Regaining his strength, Conan wanders among the major cities of western Shem. Tiring of Shem, he travels to Koth seeking rumors of war; instead he finds the land disgustingly peaceful and the only rumor being the strange circumstances surrounding the disappearance of the Kothic sorcerer Pelias.

With nothing better to do, Conan returns to Cimmeria for a time to ponder his future. His notoriety has spread across the Hyborian lands and he now has a price on his head in the lands claimed by Turan, Argos, Zingara, and Stygia. Eventually, Conan grows bored with life in Cimmeria and travels southward into Aquilonia. He is 34 years old.

Conan the Frontiersman

(Beyond the Black River, The Black Stranger)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 13/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 2)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+50+18+2 (123 hit points)
Initiative: +18 (+5 Dex, +13 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 25 (+10 level, +5 Dex)
Parry Defence: 22 (+5 level, +7 Str)
DR: 8 (+2 natural, +5 mail shirt, +1 helmet)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +14/+21
Attack: Broadsword +21 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +21/+16/+11 melee
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), greater crimson mist, to sail a road of blood and slaughter
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +4, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge, improved mobility, damage reduction, pirate code (Barachan rockets and smoke)
Saves: Fort +17, Ref +18, Will +11 (+14 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 19, Wis 18, Cha 19
Skills: Balance +10, Bluff +15, Climb +19, Craft (blacksmith) +6, Decipher Script +1, Gather Information +6, Hide +12, Intimidate +13, Jump +17, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (geography) +10, Listen +16, Move Silently +19, Perform (song) +6, Profession (sailor) +10, Ride +10, Search +7, Spot +18, Survival +14, Swim +12, Tumble +9
Possessions: Leather boots and breeks, dark mail hauberk, Æsir horned helmet, Aquilonian broadsword

Traveling in Aquilonia, Conan learns that there is work to be had in the region of the Westermark. He travels to Fort Tuscelan in Conajohara and hires on as a forest runner and frontier scout under Governor Vallanus. Life on the frontier is no picnic, since Namedides, the recently crowned king of Aquilonia, has decided to save money and has stopped sending troops to fight the Picts. Conan has only been a scout for a few months when a Pictish wizard named Zogar Sag tries to steal a string of mules and is thrown in a cell for his troubles. Feeling insulted, he escapes, vowing vengeance on the men who captured him.

The invasion is a success for the Picts, in that they are able to destroy Fort Tuscelan and retake Conajohara. Fortunately, the death of Zogar Sag, combined with Conan’s warning, allows the Aquilonians to stop the Pictish invasion at the town of Velitrium on the Thunder River, saving innumerable lives. Conan is hailed as the Hero of Velitrium. He then hires on as a scout under the baron of Conawaga, patrolling the frontier along the Thunder River for some months.

Conan crosses the Thunder River to follow a raiding party of Wolf Picts that had harassed the settlements along the river. He manages to kill their chief, but is knocked senseless and captured by the Wolf men. They then trade Conan to the Eagle Picts in exchange for a captured Wolf chief. The Eagle men carry Conan nearly a hundred miles westward to burn him in their chief village. He manages to escape the Eagle Picts, killing a notable war-chief in the process. He flee westward, across the Pictish Wilderness with the Eagle men warriors in hot pursuit.

Conan the Free Companion

(Red Nails, Jewels of Gwahlur)
Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 14/thief 1/soldier 1/pirate 2)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+50+21+2 (126 hit points)
Initiative: +20 (+6 Dex, +14 Ref)
Dodge Defence: 27 (+11 level, +6 Dex)
Parry Defence: 24 (+6 level, +8 Str)
DR: 2 (+2 natural)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +16/+24
Attack: Broadsword +24 melee
Full Attack: Broadsword +24/+19/+14/+9 melee
Damage: Broadsword 1d10+8
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty, double threat range), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), greater crimson mist, to sail a road of blood and slaughter
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +20, Will +11 (+14 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 22, Con 21, Int 20, Wis 19, Cha 20
Skills: Balance +12, Bluff +16, Climb +20, Craft (blacksmith) +7, Decipher Script +8, Gather Information +7, Hide +13, Intimidate +14, Jump +18, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (geography) +15, Listen +16, Move Silently +20, Perform (song) +7, Profession (sailor) +12, Ride +11, Search +8, Spot +18, Survival +14, Swim +13, Tumble +10
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Dabbler (counterspells), Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Striking Cobra, Track bonus
Leadership: 23
Possessions: Aquilonian broadsword, poniard, broad leather belt, short wide-legged silk breeches, flaring-topped boots, low-necked, wide-collared, wide-sleeved silk shirt

After returning Belesa and Tina to civilization, Conan returns to the “Red Brotherhood” as the captain of the Red Hand. He 35 years old. Conan resumes his piratical career with a vengeance, much to the dismay of the Zingarans. They commission several warships to hunt the Cimmerian down and put an end to his depredations. The Zingarans come across the burning port-town of Valadelad and discover that the Red Hand was responsible. Heading southward, they sight the Barachan carrack and give pursuit. Conan attempts to evade the Zingaran squadron and leads them on an exhausting chase. They finally catch him off the coast of Shem, and after a short, sharp battle, sink the Red Hand. Conan escapes the disaster by swimming ashore.

Once in Shem, Conan travels to the city of Akbitana where he learns that the Free Companions, under the command of Zarallo, are looking to hire mercenaries. Since no better opportunity presents itself, he signs up. Zarallo marches his host to the Stygian border-town of Sukhmet. Conan is bored and thinking of leaving, when a beautiful young woman arrives to join the Free Companions. Her name is Valeria of the Red Brotherhood. She is in camp only a short time before she knifes a Stygian officer and flees southward. Smitten, Conan decides to follow her.

After leaving Xuchotl, Conan and Valeria travel westward until they reach the Black Coast. They part; Valeria returns to the sea, while Conan decides to investigate rumors of a fabulous treasure in the semi-mythical land of Keshan, far to the east. He travels over a vast distance of plain, river-laced jungle, and mountains, eventually coming to its royal city of Keshia. His reputation precedes him and he is employed to train their armies and lead them against their hereditary enemy, the nation of Punt.

Conan loses the jewels, but gains a partner, a Corinthian actress named Muriela. The pair travels on to Punt, plotting to ensnare them in a similar confidence game. Rumor suggests that Conan may even have visited the jungle nation of Zembabwei. He is 37 years old.

Conan the King

Medium Humanoid (Cimmerian barbarian 15/soldier 1/thief 1/pirate 2/noble 1)
Hit Dice: 8d10+2d8+50+24+4 (131 hit points)
Initiative: +20 (+6 Dex, +14 Ref)
Speed: 30 ft. (25 ft. in plate armour)
Dodge Defence: 28 (+12 level, +6 Dex)
Parry Defence: 24 (+6 level, +8 Str)
DR: 14 (+10 plate armour, +2 visored helm, +2 natural)
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple: +17/+25
Attack: Greatsword +25 melee; or Arming Sword +25 melee; or Poniard +25 melee; or Bossonian Longbow +23 ranged
Full Attack: Greatsword +25/+20/+15 melee; or Arming Sword +25/+20/+151 melee; or Poniard +25/+20/+15 melee; or Bossonian Longbow +23/+18/+13 ranged
Special Attacks: Ferocious attack, versatility (no penalty, double threat range), crimson mist, sneak attack +1d6/+1d8, sneak attack style (broadsword), greater crimson mist, to sail a road of blood and slaughter
Special Qualities: Cimmerian traits, fearless, bite sword, trap sense +5, uncanny dodge, mobility, seamanship +1, trap disarming, improved uncanny dodge, improved mobility, damage reduction, pirate code (Barachan rockets and smoke), greater mobility, title, rank hath its privileges, wealth
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +20, Will +14 (+17 vs. Corruption)
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 22, Con 21, Int 20, Wis 19, Cha 21
Skills: Balance +12, Bluff +28, Climb +20, Craft (blacksmith) +7, Decipher Script +8, Gather Information +7, Hide +13, Intimidate +14, Jump +18, Knowledge (arcana) +11, Knowledge (geography) +15, Listen +16, Move Silently +20, Perform (song) +7, Profession (sailor) +12, Ride +13, Search +8, Sense Motive +8, Spot +18, Survival +14, Swim +13, Tumble +10
Feats: Brawl, Combat Expertise, Dabbler (counterspells), Diehard bonus, Endurance bonus, Fighting-Madness, Improved Sunder, Leadership, Mounted Combat, Navigation, Power Attack, Sleep Mastery, Striking Cobra, Track bonus
Reputation: 92 (Brave) (+9 bonus to Bluff and Intimidate Checks)
Leadership: 24/31 (12th level cohort; 350 1st level, 14 2nd level, 5 3rd level, 2 4th level, 1 5th level)
Allegiances: Aquilonia
Possessions: Greatsword, superior black-painted plate armour (maximum Dex bonus +3), superior visored helm, arming sword, poniard, Bossonian longbow, 24 arrows

We pick up Conan’s trail again about a year later, when he reenters the Hyborian nation of Aquilonia. King Namedides’ rule has left the land in chaos, and his people cry out under suppression and excessive taxation. The king seems oblivious to the nation’s problems and Aquilonia is torn with warring between the barons. Conan takes service in the army of Aquilonia, and quickly rises through the ranks to command a regiment of mercenaries. Though he doesn’t know it yet, an old dream of his is about to become reality.

The king of Zingara has dreams of empire and believes that the rich province of Poitain is ripe to be plucked from the dissolute nation of Aquilonia. He leads his army across the Alimane River to secure the province. The knights of Poitain are fierce defenders and are supported by several regiments from barons in the southlands who recognize the danger should the province fall. Count Trocero of Poitain petitions Namedides for troops in repelling the Zingarans; the king decides to send his expendable mercenary army.

The fight for the province of Poitain is fierce, and in short order Conan takes command of Aquilonia’s army. He proposes an unorthodox tactic that enables his army to smash the invaders, killing the Zingaran king and sending the scattered survivors fleeing back across the Alimane. Conan is hailed as a great hero by the people of Poitain and his renown spreads across the mountains into Aquilonia.

Namedides recalls Conan to his capital, feting him before the citizens of Tarantia. The good times do not last long. Scheming nobles use Conan’s sometimes blunt opinions to inflame Namedides’ jealousy of his popular general. Conan finds himself arrested and imprisoned in the infamous Iron Tower. He escapes the Tower and, evading capture, swiftly makes his way back to Poitain.

At Trocero’s urging, Conan regains command of the mercenary army and purges it of Namedides’ loyalists. Trocero flatly refuses to bow to the king’s edicts and pushes Poitain into revolt against the might of Aquilonia. Conan announces that he is striking for the throne and asks for support. Namedides is incensed and orders the southern Aquilonian army to suppress the rebellion and capture Conan and Trocero. The Aquilonian army attacks the rebel host, which is entrenched in the mountains of northern Poitain. Namedides’ army breaks itself on Conan battle-hardened forces and is decimated. The way to Tarantia is open. Meanwhile, support for Conan’s rebellion spreads throughout Aquilonia.

Conan’s army marches on Tarantia and through a combination of hard work, skill, and luck arrives to capture the capital. He strangles Namedides on his throne and crowns himself king of Aquilonia. Conan is nearly 40 years old when the dream becomes a reality…

Life is no bed of houris for the newly-crowned King Conan. He has fractious nobles to contend with, petitions of redress from his people, and diplomatic requests from other nations. Conan appeals to Aquilonian tradition by holding court in the old capital of Tamar, residing in the palace of the popular King Vilerus. He wins the love of the people by lowering taxes and curbing abuses at the hands of the nobility. He institutes land reform to ease the pressure on the western frontier. Some of the noble families in Aquilonia are still quite restive, and King Conan must put down the occasional civil insurrection.

Around a year after the assassination attempt, Conan accepts an alliance with the Hyborian nation of Ophir. A short time later, Ophir asks for Aquilonia’s help in repelling an invasion by the land of Koth. Conan obliges by sending five thousand of his finest knights into Ophir, only to discover that he has been betrayed.

Conan regains the throne of Aquilonia and ransoms King Tarascus back to Nemedia for the seraglio girl, Zenobia. As promised, Conan makes her his queen. He is 45 years old.

Conan remains king of Aquilonia for quite a few years. His reign is turbulent, with many violent events commonplace. The kings of the surrounding nations continually test his rule, until he is forced into wars of aggression as a matter of self-preservation. The extent of his empire through conquest is unknown.

Interestingly, King Conan still travels widely. He journeys to Hyrkania and the unknown lands to its north, as well as to Khitai and the little known region that lay beyond its southern border. He also manages a visit to a nameless continent in the western hemisphere, and roams among the islands adjacent to it.[/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

If you want to keep non-casters closer on par with casters....

1. Armor items provide damage reduction = half of its AC value against all forms of physical/energy damage (save electricity against metal).

2. All PC weapons are save or die on a natural 20 fort: BAB+Highest Damage Score (i.e. str)

ok for the armor idea check Unearthed Arcana Armor as DR if you can.

Another idea (and no I havent gotten far in all these pages lol) is making weapon/armor materials more common, IE Mithral Adamantine etc...

Water Bob

Adventurer
Conan has Armor as DR.

First off, characters have three basic Armor Classes. Looking at a 4th level Cimmerian Barbarian with a 16 STR and 15 DEX, he would have a base AC 10. This is used when he's not aware of a blow and not doing anything actively to protect himself. The base AC is always AC 10.

Then, there's a Dodge AC. This is made of the Base AC added to a level modifier and a DEX modifier. The 4th level Barbarian--let's call him Cael--would have Dodge AC 15. That's the base of 10 + 3 points due to his level + 2 points due to his DEX.

If you use Dodge as your defense, you cannot be hemmed in on all sides. Otherwise, you take a -2 penalty to your Dodge. You need a certain amount of room to Dodge--if you're completely surrounded by foes, or they've got you backed up to a wall, it's harder to get out of the way of their blows.

And, Dodge is the only type of active defense against certain kinds of attacks. For example, when faced against a foe in melee combat, you can Dodge or Parry, but if someone throws a spear at you or fires a crossbow your way, then Dodge is your only option.

The remaining defense type is to Parry. Your base is AC 10, and your normal Parry AC is made up your base + STR modifier + level modifier. Cael, above, would have Parry AC 14. That's 10 points from the base + 3 points from STR + 1 point from the character's class.

Note how STR modifies Parry while DEX modifies Dodge.

In this game, if you're flatfooted, then you can't Dodge or Parry. Which means that you're AC 10.

But, just because a foe hits you doesn't mean that he damages you. How much damage you take depends on the weapon, your foe's STR rating, and how much armor you're wearing.

The shield can be used to dodge missile weapons, in which case the +3 Shield bonus (for a targe or D&D medium shield) is added to your Dodge AC, since you can't parry arrows. Cael's Shield + Dodge would be AC 18

If you just want to use the shield traditionally to block incoming blows, then you would add the +3 shield modifier gained by the targe to your Parry defense. Cael woull be AC 17 using his shield with a Parry defense routine.

Or, maybe, you want to use your shield to bash your oppoenent, using the shield as a weapon. All shields in this game are statted like weapons. If you use your shield as weapon, then you cannot use the shield bonus with either your Parry or Dodge that round.

This brings us to armor. In the Conan RPG, armor does not make the character harder to hit. Armor, instead, soaks up damage.

Weapons have penetration rating. And a character has two basic ways to have a melee fight. The character can just basically bash away at his foe, old school stye. Or the character can fight smarter and attempt to bypass his foe's armor and strike at the soft or non-armored parts.

For example, let's say Cael's foe, a Vanir raider, is wearing a mail hauberk. This piece of armor is capable of absorbing 6 points of damage. It's rated as DR 6.

Let's take a look at how this works...

Cael is using a Broadsword that is rated at AP 3. Add to this Cael's STR modifier, and the weapon, with Cael swinging it, is rated at AP 6. Note how STR has a big influence on how well a weapon can penetrate armor. In this case, Cael's STR 16 doubles the penetration value of the broadsword.

When total AP is greater than or equals DR , halve the DR.

When total AP is less than DR, keep the DR as-is.

DR reduces damage.

If Cael hits a Vanir raider with the broadsword (total AP 6), it will penetrate his opponent's mail hauberk (DR 6). Thus, the hauberk will only reduce 3 points of damage instead of 6. Cael's damage, if he hit, would do 1d10 +3 -3 damage, which is broadsword damage of 1d10 plus Caels STR mod, minus the DR. 1d10.

If Vanir also wore a helm, his total Damage Resistance would increase to DR 7. So, this means that Cael's broadsword strokes would not penetrate. Any hit Cael would make would do 1d10 +3 -6, which is broadsword damage plus STR mod minus DR. 1d10 - 3.

Now, if Cael found that he was connecting a lot but not doing a lot of damage to the Vanir (Cael can only put 1-7 points of damage on the Vanir, doing the 1d10 -3, and 30% of the blows he does land end up dealing no damage at all, if damage is 1, 2, or 3), then he could change fighting styles. Instead of the typical freestyle of bashing through armor, he can be more picky and attempt to hit the Vanir's weak spots--at the throat, under the arm, in between armor plates and the unarmored areas.

This is called the Finesse style.

In this case, Cael uses his DEX as a to-hit modifier on his attack roll in place of his STR modifier. And, to account for how much harder it is to specifically target and hit locations on the Vanir foe, the DR rating is used as a measure of how well Cael landed his blows.

Note that STR modifies standard attacks while Finesse attacks are modified by DEX.

This means it's completely possible to have a very viable fighter with a low STR but a high DEX. Finesse is perfect for Thieves. Get a thief with a very high DEX, and he will benefit from high initiative, being good at the Finesse combat style (thus armor won't matter), good at using his Dodge AC, won't need heavy expensive armor with the high Dodge AC, and quite deadly if wielding two weapons that can both be used as Finesse weapons.

For example, let's say that the Vanir is Parrying at AC 15, and the Vanir is using a large shield. That makes him AC 19. Cael has to roll 6 points over that needed in order to land a Finesse hit. That means.... A roll of 1-9 misses the target. A roll of 10-19 is parried by the Vanir. A roll of 20-24 hits, but armor is used to reduce damage. And, at a roll of 25+, Cael has successfully landed a Finesse blow.

Successful Finesse blows completely ignore armor--full damage is applied to the target--since the whole point of a Finesse attack is to land a blow where the foe is not protected by armor.

Now, I realize that this seems very complicated. Like anything else, it's easy and second nature once you've played it a couple of times. And, I really think that this combat system is a lot more realistic than your typical fantasy games.

There are piecemeal armor rules, too, so that you can find some (little) protection from small pieces of armor.

For example, I rolled up a character for my game last night that had several armor options:

ARMOR
Bracers = DR 1
Bracers + Helm = DR 2

Mantle = DR 2
Mantle + Helm = DR 3

Winter Clothing = DR 3 (+7 Max DEX)
Winter Clothing + Helm = DR 4 (+7 Max DEX)

Mail Hauberk = DR 6 (+3 Max DEX, -4 Armor Check Penalty)
Mail Hauberk + Helm = DR 7 (+3 Max DEX, -4 Armor Check Penalty)

If this character wears his leather wrist bracers, he's got a DR 1 rating. Add a helm to that, and he's DR 2.

A mantle is a large, heavy Cimmerian cloak. This provides some armor protection. Wearing it with or without the bracers yields protection of DR 3. With the helm, it's DR 4.

Thick winter clothing can provide armor equivalent to a quilted jerkin, thus when all bundled up, this character is DR 4 and DR 5 with the helm.

Getting some formal armor, this character also owns a mail hauberk. He doesn't like to wear it often because the mail is heavy on the shoulders and may cause fatigue if worn too long. But, when he is wearing it, he's DR 6 and DR 7 with the helm.

The other neat thing about this system is that a player doesn't just pick the weapon that does the most damage for his character. More thought is put into it.

For example, if the character is going to go into a mass battle, he might use the war hammer. It only does 1d6 damage, but it's penetration rating is AP 7. Combine that with a decent STR modifier, and you've got a weapon that will break through anything.

Then again, if your character will be among those who don't often wear armor, like sailors, then the cutlass might be a better choice. It's only got AP 2, but it does 1d10 damage

This is why you won't see a lot of war hammers on the deck of a pirate ship, and you won't see armored infantry men using cutlasses in a mass battle. The right tool for the right job, and so forth.

I'm sure there are other ways of using armor in games, but I do like the depth of this one.

Lots-a food for thought. :)

Actually there is already a parry system, you have to have the feet and either an off hand weapon (with appropriate feets) or have used only one of your attacks and not used free action move action or other action (quick, instant, etc...)
For parry basically you roll your attack against your opponents, if successfull you deflect one hit. Gime a couple days and I'll find what book this is in.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads