D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5 MM] they fixed the Colossal Scorpion

der_kluge

Adventurer
Wow. Compare the 3.0 Colossal Scorpion to the 3.5 Colossal Scorpion. Firstly, 116 hit points LESS in the new version, and the BAB and poison DC went down (considerably). And to top it off, the CR went up 1 (to 12) from 11.

Makes me wonder what the old Colossal Scorpion CR really should be? Definitely not 11 with 416 hit points, and a +49 to hit, and a poison DC of 54!!!

On an unrelated note, they really cleaned up the Demons. Hezrou is actually right at Cr 11 (not 14), and despite that, they doubled the amount of hit points. My friend threw a Hezrou at the party at a con game and noted how pathetically weak it was. He was right. We (a 12th level party) slew it in two rounds without breaking a sweat. This new version makes much, much more sense.

James McMurray

First Post
Scorpion: At CR11 it was too tough when encountered underground or in a situation where flying wasn't feasible. If the party could fly (and all 11th level parties should be able to) then it is a pushover when faced above ground.

Hezrou: In generall, all of the demons and devils had too few hit points. I believe one of the designers said something along the lines of "lots of neat abilities but they couldn't last long enough to use them."

The vrock is better in every way. The dance actually does something useful now.

HD 10d8+70 (115 hp)
AC 22
2 claws +15 melee, bite +13, 2 talons +13.

DR 10/good.
SV Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +10 and SR 17 (low)

23 15 25 14 16 16

CR 9!

Spell-like abilities: at will-mirror image, 1/day-heroism.

Dance of Ruin: after 3 rounds they dish out 20d6 damage! It might not be worth it still, but it's better than the 3.0 joke.

I can see the new Vrock as CR 9 - it still has fairly low AC and can be whittled away quite nicely. It is more of a challenge than it was before but that isn't anything terribly different.

Remove ads