D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Monk using flurry of blows and rapid shot feat

Gilwen

Explorer
As written the unarmed section only explicitly disallows TWF when using unarmed attacks but does not refer to the use of special monk weapons being used with it.
I think the spirt of the rules meant to disallow combing FoB adn TWF and the response to the sage confirms that.
I also feel that Rapid shot should not be combined with FoB.

Bryan
Dr_Rictus said:
Besides, TWF is explicitly (if not necessarily clearly) disallowed in the description of monks' unarmed attacks. No such restriction exists for Rapid Shot, and in general, rapid shot can be used to gain an extra ranged attack regardless of whether the other attacks you are making that round are ranged or not.

Gilwen

Explorer
I found the link to the other thread I mentioned.
I think it is germaine to this thread.
The link is Monks and TWF Monks and TWF

Bryan
Here is the reply a poster recieved from the Sage:

<< Can a monk use Two-Weapon Fighting (or Improved Two Weapon Fighting) in conjunction with Flurry of Blows to gain an extra attack, >>

No.

>>or to reduce the penalties for the Flurry of Blows?>>

No.

<< I'm fairly certain the spirit of the rules didn't intend for these abilities to work together, but I can't find anything in the rules that would prohibit it >>

When you use a flurry, you can use a specil monk weapon once as part the flurry. If you use two weapons with a flurry, you use each weapon once as part of the flurry (a quaterstaff is a double weapon and counts as two weapons). You do not get an extra attack for the second weaoon, nor do you suffer any of the usual penalties for attaking with two weapons.

A monk can fight with two weapons and use the varius two-wepoan fighting feats, but the number of attacks the monk gets is based on the monk's normal base attack bonus and number of attacks, not on the monk's number of attacks in a flurry.

Last edited:

Dr_Rictus

First Post
In particular, the whole deal as to how "there is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk fighting unarmed" is the crux of why TWF does not apply to FoB, but has no relevance to Rapid Shot. The whole TWF thing is beside the point.

LokiDR

First Post
TWF have always worked together. Near as I can tell, so would flurry if you could throw monk weapons. Now that shuriken are monk weapons you can flurry with, it seems you can throw a lot of them. I don't think it will be that much of a problem.

Remove ads