• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] New to the druiding world

sithramir

First Post
Druids vestments are a nice added wildshape.

I'd suggest buying scrolls with druid spells that are useful but not worth memorizing. Lesser restoration is a great spell to have on a scroll.

Amulet of mighty fists is a great druid item.

Ring of protection is a nice ac booster. It'd stay with most wildshapes for added AC (not that natural armor amulets/barkskin is useless as most monsters give you some natural armor and it wouldn't stack).

jgsugden

Legend
Augment summoning is not as great as people think. The prerequisite, Spell Focus: Conjuration, is alomst useless to a druid using only core spells. That makes the cost too high.

There are three feats that I think every druid should have: Natural spell, power attack and combat expertise. You've already heard about natural spell. Power attack is a must because the druid will have very high ABs when wildshaped at higher levels. A strength in the mid 30s will compensate for the AB lower than a fighter's AB. Combat expertise is also a muct because the druid's traditional problem is a lack of AC when wildshaping. Being able to boost your AC by 5 will often be the difference between life and death.

Some other good feats: Weapon focus: Bite (or claw), Improved natural attack: Bite (if the DM allows it), Quicken spell (no AoO from casting quickened spells anymore), Cleave, Weapon Finesse (for animal forms with a dex higher than the strength - there are many).

As for races: If you'll spend most combats in wildshaped form, you don't want a halfling, elf or half-orc because their sta bonus will be lost to you. Dwarves are nice for all their special abilities in dwarven form and extra constitution, though keeping track of racial saving throw bonuses activity can be an annoyance when they are lost in wildshaping. Human is often the best choice, as the bonus feat and skills are never lost, even when in another form. Human is the only race to retain all of the racial benefits when wildshaped.

Animal companions are key. The three 'optimal' animals seem to be a wolf at first level, a dire bat at 4th level and a brown bear at 7th level. The wolf is the best first level fighting companion. It advances nicely at third. When it is time to replace your wolf, the dire bat and the brown bear stand out as options. The dire bat has the best AC of standard animal companions, flight and blindsense as well as adequate combat abilities - an excellent choice if you don't need to focus on an offensive ally. The brown bear has a good number of attacks, a decent constitution and a high strength for his level category- a combo that makes him a strong offensive force, especially as he advances in hit dice as a companion. Tigers are nothing to shake a stick at either, if that is a more appropriate creature for your setting (though it has a lower AC, lower AB, etc ...)

Krash

First Post
I must admit, the augment summoning feat itself is pretty nice. The pre-requisite is a total crock of :):):):) for druids. They don't have many feats as it is, and to have to pay effectively 2 feats for 1 useful feat is too much. I was trying to figure out what else I would take. Natural spell is obvious, power attack was also a nice thing...but I hadn't considered combat expertise, certainly one to add to the list. Metamagic feats don't get much mileage with druids I don't think, so they are out the window. Item creation gives you a lot of versatility....but to be honest in the dnd group I play in there is a lot of DM swapping and it's hard to get items created inbetween sessions so to speak.

jgsugden

Legend
Krash said:
Metamagic feats don't get much mileage with druids I don't think, so they are out the window.

You should consider quicken spell at 15th or 18th level. This allows you an extra spell per turn. That is very powerful. Druids do not get a lot of spells each day, but spending a few on quickened spells can be well worth the price. Casting a quickened touch spell right before you claw a creature twice can really up the damage potential (see phb pg 141-142 for a reminder that a natural attack can be used to deliver a touch spell). Being able to cast a buffing or healing spell right before a full attack is also nice.

Krash

First Post
Ok, I concede that point to you :) But it is definitely a feat for the future rather than now.
Human's are so attractive to play these days, the extra feat and skill points are invaluable. I might not play the dwarf and be a human instead as I am leaning towards a diplomat type rather than a combat king.

Moonglum

First Post
Krash said:
Ok, I concede that point to you :) But it is definitely a feat for the future rather than now.
Human's are so attractive to play these days, the extra feat and skill points are invaluable. I might not play the dwarf and be a human instead as I am leaning towards a diplomat type rather than a combat king.
Future meaning when? :)

Dwarves can be diplomatic. There has to be a leader in every clan. *Feels roleplaying opportunity arise.*

Krash said:

Dwarves (and gnomes) are good druids because of the high CON, ensuring you have plenty of HPs even when wild shaped. 3.5 Dwarves don't slow down when using medium armor making Hide armor's greatest weakness moot.

Krash

First Post
Ah, figured out my problem. I was putting a high score into charisma so that it looked respectable, but I should have put it into intelligence.

Instead of having a +1 bonus to charisma and +0 to intelligence, I now have a -1 to charisma (4 less skill in total for diplomacy/handle animal) and now have a +2 bonus to intelligence (12 more skill points in total).

Sure, my wild empathy skill is less effective, but overall strength by skill is far superior.

Remove ads