D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Power Attack questions

zoroaster100

First Post
Here are some questions on the Power Attack feat that are puzzling me.

First question:
Can Power Attack be used with combat maneuvers and attacks other than straightforward attacking with a weapon? In particular, does power attack apply to dealing damage with a grapple check when grappling?

Second question:
If a creature with only one natural weapon attack, such as a wolf or gorgon, the creature adds 1.5 its Strength bonus on damage. If such a creature also has the Power Attack feat, does the 2 points of damage per point subtracted on the attack roll apply just as for two-handed weapons?

Any suggestions on how to treat these two issues will be appreciated.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
zoroaster100 said:
Here are some questions on the Power Attack feat that are puzzling me.

First question:
Can Power Attack be used with combat maneuvers and attacks other than straightforward attacking with a weapon? In particular, does power attack apply to dealing damage with a grapple check when grappling?

The feat itself doesnt really say one way or another, but I would rule no, you cannot apply it to grappling. The feat does mention "melee attacks" which grappling is not (not really).

Kae'Yoss

First Post
What Grazzt said. Plus, I've seen a (modified) version of the Mighty Contender of Cord PrC today, which had a power that acted like PA in a grapple, so this doesn't seem to be the default.

And no, these animals don't do double power attack damage per se, since it states that you must have a two-handed weapon (and all natural weapons are light). But it's no big deal to house rule it that way.

zoroaster100

First Post
thanks

Thanks for the responses. I think I agree that power attack doesn't provide the double bonus to monsters under the rules as written, though I still wonder if they meant it to and just forgot to specify this.

As to power attack applying to grapple, I think I agree with your answer as well that it does not apply, since it seems contrary to the way the feat is written and to the flavor of the feat, even possibly contrary to the balance of it. For one thing, it seems the minus to the "attack roll" would either have to be applied to the touch attack or to the grapple check, both of which are different than a regular melee attack roll. Does anyone out there think that power attack should add damage to a successful grapple check? If so, how do you apply the minus on the attack roll?

AGGEMAM

First Post
Q1: Starting a grapple requires a melee attack roll, so they penalty from previously a previously used power attack this round applies until the beginning of your next turn.

Q2: No.

Remove ads