• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Ranger/Rogue combo effective?

Olive

Explorer
mmu1 said:
Favored Enemy and Sneak Attack are both abilities whose exact effectiveness is in the DM's hands and out of your control, but much less so for Sneak Attack, simply by the virtue of being able to use it against a much wider range of targets...

Sneak Attack isn't particularly in the control of the DM, at least certainly not as much as FE is. I eman unless you're fighting A LOT of undead and oozes, you can use tactics to get to sneak attack. FE is entirely up to the DM throwing those creatures at you.

greycastle

First Post
well, currently, were using a 36 point buy system, and i've thought about going fey'ri (my favorite race :S)

looks something like this

Str 12
Dex 18
Con 10
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 14

Now while i understand charisma isn't really important, i like the idea of 'her' being charismatic, and being the party leader (with the highest ranks in diplomacy and bluff) didn't seem a bad idea...
Also with the ability to use Dimension Door and Damage Reduction (see New Feat: Ancesteral Mastery) Is able to bypass many things, and sneak attack effectively against important ...er... bbeg.

mmu1

First Post
greycastle said:
well, currently, were using a 36 point buy system, and i've thought about going fey'ri (my favorite race :S)

looks something like this

Str 12
Dex 18
Con 10
Int 16
Wis 14
Cha 14

Now while i understand charisma isn't really important, i like the idea of 'her' being charismatic, and being the party leader (with the highest ranks in diplomacy and bluff) didn't seem a bad idea...
Also with the ability to use Dimension Door and Damage Reduction (see New Feat: Ancesteral Mastery) Is able to bypass many things, and sneak attack effectively against important ...er... bbeg.

Um... Never, ever, make a combat-oriented character without a CON bonus.

greycastle

First Post
sorry...the " 'her' " was an accident...it's actually a female Fey'ri pretending to be a male...
the reason i gave her a lower str, con, yet high dex, int, and cha (not in anyway being sexist, it's jsut the way i felt it would make an intersting character)

On that note...can a character actually be 'charismatic' without having an exceptional charisma score? Such as, if in my case i was to make Cha 12, Con 12, would the character benefit more?

And would it simply be the wiser option? Also i must add that i intend to mainly be an archer for the group, and finess weapons so as to use my high dex to a better benefit... the main idea is that i would only really enter melee when they are engaged (chaotic alignment, not much honour) in melee with another character... also to note, that cha is more in character i feel...

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
On that note...can a character actually be 'charismatic' without having an exceptional charisma score?

It depends what you mean.

Rephrase the question as "Can a character actually be 'strong' without having an exceptional Strength score?"

A Strength of 12 is above average, but not by much. You wouldn't be the guy people go to when they need their piano shifted. You wouldn't ever make the cover of bodybuilding magazines. But neither would you be considered a wimp in normal circles.

If you want a character who people think of as "strong!", though, you need more than a 12 in Strength to back it up.

Charisma is exactly the same.

-Hyp.

mmu1

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

It depends what you mean.

Rephrase the question as "Can a character actually be 'strong' without having an exceptional Strength score?"

A Strength of 12 is above average, but not by much. You wouldn't be the guy people go to when they need their piano shifted. You wouldn't ever make the cover of bodybuilding magazines. But neither would you be considered a wimp in normal circles.

If you want a character who people think of as "strong!", though, you need more than a 12 in Strength to back it up.

Charisma is exactly the same.

-Hyp.

Kind of... Strength is frequently used for checks by itself, it also affects damage and carrying capacity, and there's no way to "fake" those.

On the other hand, turning and controlling summoned outsiders aside, pretty much everything Charisma related is a skill check, so if you're the right class and have enough ranks, you can make up for lower Charisma - to a degree.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
On the other hand, turning and controlling summoned outsiders aside, pretty much everything Charisma related is a skill check, so if you're the right class and have enough ranks, you can make up for lower Charisma - to a degree.

Still not sure I agree.

A 12th level Rogue with an Intelligence of 8 could have the same ability at Disabling Devices as an 8th level Rogue with an Intelligence of 16. There aren't all that many other mechanical effects of Int for a Rogue... but that doesn't make the 12 level Rogue just as bright as the 8th level guy.

Just because you have lots of ranks in Diplomacy and Bluff, it doesn't make you charismatic.

-Hyp.

greycastle

First Post
But how would you judge a characters Constitution? I only ask this because of the Endurance feat...a character with low constitution but the endurance feat, can take the physical strength of a character with 8 more ability points in con.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
greycastle said:

Charisma can be quite important, especially if you focus on cha-based skills. I have a fey'ri rogue with several skills that are cha-based, and it does pay. Also, the DCs for fey'ri spell-like abilities are based on cha (my fey'ri has suggestion, charm person and detect thoughts, and because of my high cha people usually fail their saves).

Ancestral Mastery? Where does that come from? Does it allow you to have Damage Reduction and Dimension Door at the same time (for usually you can't. And even taking one of those will increase your ECL adjustment.)

Remove ads