D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Rapier & Scimitar

Li Shenron

Legend
Am I reading it right?

In 3e, compared to the Longsword (one-handed martial weapon for d8 damage), the Rapier and Scimitar got reduced damage for better criticals.

The Rapier was better than Scimitar only because you could take Weapon Finesse if worth for you, but the Scimitar was the only usable by druids, so it still had a part in the game.

Now you can't get 1-1/2 Str bonus with Rapier when using it in 2 hands even if it's a one-handed weapon and not a light weapon. What about using Power Attack then?

Is there any change to the Scimitar at all? There is no description in the SRD...

hong

WotC's bitch
Nothing stops you using Power Attack with a rapier (or scimitar). You'll even get the +2/-1 damage ratio if you use it with two hands.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Li Shenron said:

Now you can't get 1-1/2 Str bonus with Rapier when using it in 2 hands even if it's a one-handed weapon and not a light weapon. What about using Power Attack then?

Where are you getting this from?

I know it says that you can't get the 2H bonus when using Light weapons, but the rapier isn't actually a light weapon... it is a Medium weapon which has the special property that it can be finessed.

Cheers

Li Shenron

Legend
From the SRD:

Rapier: You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a rapier sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you. You can’t wield a rapier in two hands in order to apply 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus to damage.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
On a purely personal level, I would thwack any player who told me they were fighting with a rapier two-handedly, and then I would institute an immediate houserule to prevent such an abomination in the future. That's the silliest D&D image I've heard in a long time.

Rapiers are finesse weapons, the province of swashbucklers and dandies, deadly little needles. When you reduce them to 1d6/18-20/x2, that's pretty sad, IMO.

Daniel

hong

WotC's bitch
Pielorinho said:
On a purely personal level, I would thwack any player who told me they were fighting with a rapier two-handedly, and then I would institute an immediate houserule to prevent such an abomination in the future. That's the silliest D&D image I've heard in a long time.

Rapiers are finesse weapons, the province of swashbucklers and dandies, deadly little needles. When you reduce them to 1d6/18-20/x2, that's pretty sad, IMO.

Consider that hoary old chestnut, the "called shot". When you make a called shot, you take your time to aim for a precise location, in the hopes of doing more damage. In D&D terms, that translates to taking an attack penalty, in return for a bonus to damage.

Which, mechanically, is a perfect fit for Power Attack.

Last edited:

Remove ads