D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Ring of Feather Fall (Brain-Bleeder from my Players)

Archade

Azer Paladin
Thank you all. I'm glad to see that caused cranial discomfort for people out there. Of course, as a non-jerk DM, I am sure it should be a continuous effect, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

CyberSpyder

First Post
Eh...I'd just treat it as a ring of permanent Feather Fall with an activating condition of 'falling more than 5 feet' and a deactivating condition of 'landing.'

Seems simpler that way.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Just don't cast any Quickened spells as you're falling, as that would stuff up the feather fall.

Has there ever been a rule that quickened effects from items count against your one-quickened-spell-per-round?

(Have they tidied up whether a Quickened spell from a wand or staff is a free action or standard action? How about a scroll of a spell with a one-hour casting time?)

-Hyp.

clark411

First Post
60 and 5 and 60 and 5 or simply have a 1 in 13 chance of landing at falling speed from a height of 5 ft.. if that does any damage anyhoo.

frankthedm

First Post
Jhyrryl said:
New amusement for festivals! Something between sky-diving and bungee-jumping. :)

High-level wiz/sorc hands out rings of feather falling to all the kids, then teleports them a couple-thousand feet into the air. <g>

readies dispell magic

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
clark411 said:
60 and 5 and 60 and 5 or simply have a 1 in 13 chance of landing at falling speed from a height of 5 ft.. if that does any damage anyhoo.

Again: when you're under feather-fall, you're still falling, just at a slower rate. The ring should be constantly re-activating, so there's no 5' free-fall period.

Daniel

Sanackranib

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I believe that the Ring of Featherfall would be treated the same as the Ring of Invisibility, in that it can be reactivated ad nauseum. And since Featherfall activates as a quickened spell, this means unlimited falling protection.

I agree. when you consider how fast somthing actually falls and the short time needed to achieve terminal volocity . . . to do it any other way doesnt offer much in the way of protection.

Jhyrryl

First Post
doktorstick said:
Does 3.5e clear up how fall you far in a single round? I remember endless discussions on the topic...
In 3.0 you fell 150 feet the first round, and 300 feet every round after that. This was only described in the section on Tactical Aerial Movement in the DMG (page 69) under Minimum Forward Speed.

In 3.5, this has not changed, but neither has it been clarified any. DMG page 20 is where you find rules for what happens to a creature who fails to maintain minimum speed, but page 303 where falling damage is discusses, still fails to give information about the speeds at which things fall.

Remove ads