D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Scry - Errata already?

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
I feel like I'm missing something or misinterpreting the spell description of the 3.5 version of Scrying.

Let me try to explain my confusion.

First sentence, "You can see and hear some creature which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the scrying attempt simply fails."

Ok, I'm with you. Nothing too hard here.

But then:

"If the save fails, you can see (but not hear) the subject and the subject's immediate surroundings..."

My point:

If the subject fails, it's subjected to scrying which, as stated above, allows the caster to "see and hear" the subject. Yet..if the subject fails, the caster can "see (but not hear)" the subject.

I have a feeling I'm just missing something - probably something simple.

Help?

D

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Sure thing.

Scrying
Saving Throw: Negates

You can see and hear some creature which may be at any distance. If the subject succeeds on a Will save, the scrying attempt simply fails. The difficulty of the save depends on how well you know the subject and what sort of physical connection (if any) you have to that creature. Futhermore, if the subject is on another plane, it gets a +5 bonus on its Will save.

[There's a chart here with modifiers for secondhand knowledge the like, as well as if the caster has a picture of the subject, a lock of hair of the subject, etc.]

If the save fails, you can see (but not hear) the subject and the subject's immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet.

[The remainder just discusses what spells may be cast through a Scrying sensor, then details the focus, etc.]

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Destan said:

Scrying
Saving Throw: Negates
If the save fails, you can see (but not hear) the subject and the subject's immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject).

I'd rule that the clause (but not hear) applies to the surroundings as it has already said you can hear the subject. Regardless I expect to see this in a Sage Advice for clarification.

Tar-Edhel

First Post
Could it mean that you will hear and see creatures that won't take saving throws (like allies knowing you're scrying on them or opponents that dont care) but you'll only see creatures trying unsuccesfully to resist the scying attempt. Of course, nothing happens if the creature saves.

that's the only way I can read it without errata.

Remove ads