D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Scry

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Cordo said:
Not if you go by the sage's interpretation/ruling that even if you succeed on your save you don't feel a hostile tingle because the spell doesn't "do" anything to you.
Funny, the spellcraft spell doesn't list that rather important limitation, even vaguely :)

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
I heard there was some kind of update in Sage advice in the latest Dragon. Since it figures heavily in my campaign, and since I likely won't be seeing that Dragon for months if ever despite my subscription, I'd appreciate it if someone would fill me in, particularly as it addresses the above questions.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sage Advice says:

- you can only scry creatures, not places
- you can observe the area 10' around the creature.

That's it!

Sanackranib

First Post
you really ought to be able to scry locations that are known to you as well. perhas along the same lines as teleport where a high, low or otherwise off result means that the spell fails.

niteshade6

First Post
I'm pretty sure there has to be some kind of visible or noticable effect in order to make a spellcraft check. You can't use it to say detect invisible people and the like.

shilsen

Adventurer
Tarril Wolfeye said:
There's another spell for 'scrying' locations: it's called clairvoyance/clairaudience.

In 3.5 that has a range of Long (400 ft. + 40 ft/lvl), so it's hardly comparable to Scry.

green slime

First Post
shilsen said:
In 3.5 that has a range of Long (400 ft. + 40 ft/lvl), so it's hardly comparable to Scry.

This is why you have an enormous bag of holding full of named and numbered galapagos tortoises, which you release everywhere, within 20 feet of each other. This allows you scry anywhere! They aren't going anywhere very fast, and they'll probably still be around in 20 years time....

Remove ads