D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Slings and Rapid Reload

Dr. Zoom

First Post
It takes a move action to load a sling now, but you also can add your strength bonus to damage. Good changes, IMO.

The rapid reload feat is only good for the 3 kinds of crossbows. I was thinking about house ruling it for use with slings, too. What do you think?

Seems reasonable.

Edit: I see they've improved rapid reload. It's no longer once per round -- you can get a full attack off with this and a light crossbow.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I was thinking about that too. I also allow it with sunpowder weapons (basically guns; if you're interested, check out this post here.)

I don't see any problems with allowing rapid reload to work with slings, especially since you need to choose which weapon it applies to.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Dang, I did not think about looking at changes to sling. My 6 Str sorcerer was too busy worrying about his spell changes. With the move action to load, and of course the weight of sling bullets, he may just ditch the sling.

Although I like most of the 3.5 changes, I am amazed at all the little things that have changed. It seems that everything I do I have to read the rules like it is the first time. Of course, the first time can be fun, so it's not all bad.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
The weight of the bullets has not changed, 5 pounds for 10 bullets. Also, you have a strength penalty of -2. In both 3.0 and 3.5 you have to apply that penalty to your damage rolls with the sling, so it is not really the best ranged weapon for you anyway. I would switch to the light crossbow.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Thanks for the advice, Dr. Zoom, but there are other factors to the decision to ditch the sling. The character is 6th level now, and has plenty of offensive magic at his disposal. Plus, I don't find it in character for him to attack with weapons anyway, he does everything with magic. In fact, he made his first attack roll ever last session (a hit, with the sling).

Besides, encumberance is an issue, and the light crossbow weighs even more than the sling bullets.

Also, don't forget the 3.5 weapons size rules, so all his weapons would be small and weigh half their listed weights, and do even less damage.

I think it will be fun to go virtually weaponless with a sorcerer.

Dr. Zoom

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Besides, encumberance is an issue, and the light crossbow weighs even more than the sling bullets.
It does? The chart says 4 pounds for the light crossbow, 1 pound for 10 bolts, and 5 pounds for the sling bullets. Looks even to me. Plus, you can double your ammo with the crossbow with much less weight than you can with sling bullets.

Also, don't forget the 3.5 weapons size rules, so all his weapons would be small and weigh half their listed weights, and do even less damage.
Yes, but both weigh 5 pounds, so both would weigh 2.5 pounds if they were Small. Less damage is more reason to go with the crossbow. You get more damage than with the sling, plus you don't apply your strength penalty with the crossbow.

I think it will be fun to go virtually weaponless with a sorcerer.
I tend to play characters in ways I think will be fun, too, without regard to the "best" weapon, tactic, or spell. Good luck with your character.

JoeBlank said:

Not sure how 3.5 words things, but since everything but the hand crossbow requires 2 hands to use, a gnome should be able to use a "medium" type light crossbow as a "heavy" weapon.

Fact is that gnomes & halflings' strength is much higher for their size than their larger counterparts to as long as they can physically weild a properly configured Medium-Light crossbow they should be able to operate it at its normal (medium) rate of fire.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Dr. Zoom said:
It takes a move action to load a sling now, but you also can add your strength bonus to damage. Good changes, IMO.

The rapid reload feat is only good for the 3 kinds of crossbows. I was thinking about house ruling it for use with slings, too. What do you think?

I saw that one only today, too. I pity the poor damn sling assassins (a.k.a. Halfing Warsling Snipers). I'll use that rule.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Dr. Zoom said:

It does? The chart says 4 pounds for the light crossbow, 1 pound for 10 bolts, and 5 pounds for the sling bullets. Looks even to me. Plus, you can double your ammo with the crossbow with much less weight than you can with sling bullets.

Whoops! I was converting a character who actually had a sling, so I checked the 3.5 weight for the sling. I was just going from memory on the lt. crossbow, which was 6 pounds, plus 1 for the bolts, in 3.0.

I tend to play characters in ways I think will be fun, too, without regard to the "best" weapon, tactic, or spell. Good luck with your character.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Remove ads