D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Smackdown Challenge!

Monty

First Post
A local gaming store is running a Dungeon Delve challenge and I'd love to see some of the famous Smackdown characters from the ENWorld regulars.

Groups of players will enter a "killer" dungeon to capture the Throne of Darkness. The first player to make it to the Throne wins.

Here are the rules:
1. Any Alignment. Any Race from the PHB.

2. Any Class from PHB and DMG (3.5v). Note: All DMG PrC are allowed.

3. 136,000 EXP per character.

4. 100,000 Gold Pieces to spend on items from PHB or DMG.

5. No Psionics. No Savage Species or MM.

6. Maximum Hit Points for all levels!

7. Attributes start at base 8 for each with an additional 40 points as desired. Additional points are a straight one-for-one purchase (e.g., an 18 Strength costs 10 points).

8. Restricted items. Celestial Armor, Amulet of the Planes, Breastplate of Command, Life Drinker, Nine Life Stealer, and Sword of the Planes may not be purchased.

9. Additional costs. All potions are market price plus 100 Gold Pieces. Scrolls are market price plus 250 Gold Pieces. Any Created Magic Item costs 10,000 more than the calculated cost.

10. Additional notes: No precast spells (wishes, etc.). No items that require preperation before game (Tomes, Golem Manuals, etc.). No cohorts. Improved Familiar feat (from the DMG) is allowed.

If you have questions that aren't covered here, post them and I will pass them on to the game organizers. If you are in or around Austin, Texas and want to participate in the event (September 5th), grab a flier from Thor's Hammer.

I'm working on a Summoner Smackdown [3rd Cleric/4th Wizard/10th Mystic Theurge] that I will post soon.

Regards,
Monty

Monty

First Post
Smackdown the MyTh

Mystic Theurges aren't new, but they can be fun to make. The treatment below gives a whopping 91 spells per day, including six 7th level spells.

I'm going for a rounder character than normal Smackdowns. The concept is a powerful caster (able to penetrate spell resistances with evocation spells), strong summoning spells, and a couple of twists.

Smackdown the Mystic Theurge
Human Cleric 3/Conjurer 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Archmage 1
HD (3d8)+(3d4)+(10d4)+(1d4)+68; hp 148
Init +4 (+4 Dex); AC 19 (flatfooted 15, touch 14)
Base Atk +8; Ranged +12/+7 (1d10 19-20/x2, +1 heavy crossbow)
SA: Turn Undead 2/day at 3 level
SQ: Mastery of Shaping, Spontaneous casting
Sv: Fort +15, Ref +13, Will +25
Str 8, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 24, Wis 22, Cha 8​

Feats: Skill Focus (Spellcraft), Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration (+4 caster level to overcome spell resistance), Improved Familiar (Pseudodragon with 74 hit points), Spell Focus (Conjuration, Evocation), Greater Spell Focus (Evocation).

Possessions: robe of the archmagi (gray), headband of intellect +2, periapt of wisdom +4, +1 heavy crossbow of spell storing.

Cleric Spells Prepared (6/8/8/6/6/5/4/2); save DC 16 + spell level).

Wizard Spells Prepared (5/7/7/7/6/5/5/4); save DC 17 + spell level, or 18 + spell level for Conjuration spells, or 19 + spell level for Evocation spells).

The Archmage ability Mastery of Shaping allows him to drop fireballs and delayed blast fireballs at his feet without harming friends. Nasty touch spells (slay living, harm, etc.) can be delivered from Pseudodragon familiar (along with sleep poison). The heavy crossbow can deliver a stored spell to its target (up to 3rd level).

I chose Fharlanghn as a deity for the domains of Travel (for the Freedom of Movement ability, but only 3 rounds per day) and Luck (for the free reroll). Neither are really dependent on high cleric levels.

Let me know what you think. I'm going to try a duelist next.

Regards,
Monty

Monty

First Post
Duelist

Here's the duelist. It's completely an experiment. The requirements (BAB +6, Tumble 5, Perform 3, and a couple of feats) make it hard to qualify for Duelist. Although Precise Strike is pretty sweet. With a Flaming (or Icy or Shock) piercing weapon, a duelist can do 4d6 with each attack.

Smackdown the Duelist
Monk 4/Fighter 3/Duelist 10
HD 4d8+16 plus 3d10+12 plus 10d10+40; hp 230
Init +16; Spd 40 ft.; AC 34, touch 28, flat-footed 21
Base Atk +16; Full Atk +25/+20/+15/+10 melee (4d6 19-20/x2, +1 flaming siangham); Flurry of Blows +23/+23/+18/+13/+8 (4d6 19-20/x2, +1 flaming siangham)
SA acrobatic charge, precise strike +2d6 damage
SQ canny defense, elaborate parry, enhanced mobility, evasion, fast movement, grace, improved reaction +4, slow fall 20 ft., still mind
SV Fort +18, Ref +27, Will +17
Str 8, Dex 26, Con 18, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 8.​

Feats: Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Improved Critical (Siangham), Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Mobility, Spring Attack, Stunning Fist, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (Siangham), Whirlwind Attack.

Possessions: headband of intellect +2, periapt of wisdom +2, gauntlets of dexterity +4, +1 flaming siagham, bracers of armor +6, cloak of resistance +4

I didn't feel Strength was all that important after Weapon Finesse and focused on Dexterity (and Int/Wis for additional AC). I may rework it to bring the AC down and gain a few points of Str damage.

With this buildout, Flurry of Blows and Fighting Defensively the Duelist's AC jumps to 46 with 5 attacks (+21/+21/+16/+12/+6) for 4d6 points of damage each.

Up to 20d6 per round. Not too shabby. Any thoughts on tightening this one up?

Regards,
Monty

Monty

First Post
Any suggestions for the next character for the Dungeon Delve?

Here are my ideas:

1. Fighter 7 / Dwarven Defender 10
a. Con of 28 gives him 346 hit points (+34 in defensive stance)
b. damage reduction of 5/-, +4 AC bonus, improved uncanny dodge​
2. Evoker 13 / Archmage 4
a. arcane fire (it's not spellfire, but it's close)
b. mastery of counterspelling and shaping
c. arcane reach​
3. Monk 17
a. if for no other reason than diamond soul (spell resistance of 27)​
Regards,
Monty

Well, it's not exactly a smack down, but...

The first player to make it to the Throne wins.

If this is the only speculation to the contest (you aren't required to slay any BBEG, rescue a princess, etc), I would probably go with a Monk. Focus on getting past enemies, not on defeating them. The speed bonus, good saves, spell resistance, and Abundant Step ability would all come in quite handy. Max out ranks in tumble, hide, move silently, and balance. I would consider taking some Shadow Dancer levels for the Shadow Jumpping and Hide in Plain Sight.

Monty

First Post
Deset Gled said:
If this is the only speculation to the contest..., I would probably go with a Monk. Focus on getting past enemies, not on defeating them...

When I read the rules, I thought the same thing. Make a tough diviner. Use a combination of discern location, arcane eyes, greater scrying, etc. to find the throne. Then teleport to its seat. Game over.

I'm still tempted, but I suspect that the GM has considered this and will make divination, dimension door, etherealness, teleport, etc. useless. Currently, I'm putting together characters that will support a party to crawl through the dungeon in a more traditional manner.

What do you think? Should I go back to jumping to the end?

Regards,
Monty

Thanee

First Post
As a single character I would probably go Cleric/Wizard/Mystic Theurge (what IS a Theurge, btw? ;)), Sorcerer/Red Wizard/Archmage or Rogue/Wizard/Arcane Trickster. For a group of 4 characters, I would take all of the above plus one Fighter (Ranger, Paladin, whatever, but someone who can fight really good without relying on magic).

Also consider anti-magic field as a defensive measure.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Artoomis

First Post
Thanee said:
...what IS a Theurge, btw?...

Bye
Thanee

Main Entry: the·ur·gy
Pronunciation: 'thE-(")&r-jE
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin theurgia, from Late Greek theourgia, from theourgos miracle worker, from Greek the- + ergon work -- more at WORK
Date: 1569
: the art or technique of compelling or persuading a god or beneficent or supernatural power to do or refrain from doing something

"Theurge" is obviously one who practices Theurgy.

Thanee

First Post
Ahhh... thank you very much! :)

Somehow I didn't make the "jump" to Theurgy when looking at that term!
Probably just the same as Theurgist then. ;)

Anyways... in the high level campaign I played in, I found my Arcane Trickster was well suited for most tasks. High skills can be a valueable asset (esp. Spot, Listen, Search, Disable Traps, Spellcraft) and decent spellcasting is pretty much a must-have at higher levels anyways.

A few scrolls of Mordenkainen's Disjunction might be a good idea, too, btw. :D

Bye
Thanee

Monty

First Post
I'm sure that a theurge is an archaic version of theurgist.

I'm fond of the performancer of miracles with supernatural assistance definition.

Thanee,

I've been thinking about using your advice and putting together a group for the Dungeon Delve. Something like this:
1. Fighter 7 / Dwarven Defender 10
2. Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 10 / Archmage 1
3. Rogue 3 / Wizard 5 / Arcane Trickster 9
4. Monk 4 / Rogue 3 / Duelist 10 (or Monk 17)​

It's a pretty well rounded group, especially if you add a Planar Ally or two (there's nothing like a Ghaele or a Astra Deva to help with fighting and healing).

If the group was 5 or 6 people, I might add an Arcane Archer (I just love super-cheap +5 flaming holy arrows) and Sorcerer/Archmage.

Suggestions?

Regards,
Monty

Remove ads