D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Smackdown Challenge!

ArcOfCorinth

First Post
Cashton, Human Ranger 17
Combat Style: Two Weapon Fighting
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus: Short Sword, Quick Draw, Two-Weapon Defense, Stealthy, Alertness, Dodge.
Skills: Focus on Hide, Listen, Spot and Move Silently.
Ability Scores: A high Dex is essential
Possessions: +2 Short Sword, +2 Defending Short Sword, Boots of Levitation, Cloak of Elvenkind, Goggles of the Night, Studded Leather armor, Necklace of Fireballs (Type 7), and a wand of cure wounds or two. You can get some better armor too. I just don't have the time to completely stat this PC out.

Just sneak your way in. If you have to fight, beat something down. However, avoid the fight as much as you can.
OR

Sorcerer 17
Focus on Conjuration, Enchantment and Evocation.
Use your money to buy one thing: Stone of Controlling Earth Elementals.
Just stay away and summon something to fight for you. If possible, Charm or Dominate it. Anything that joins your side is great (until it runs out). Blast anything your other two schools can't handle.

Thanee

First Post
In a group of 4, I'd want one stable fighter (i.e. that Dwarven Defender, as high in hit points and AC as possible, but also able to turn into a "damage dealing mode"), one Mystic Theurge, one Arcane Trickster (based on Sorcerer on second thought, as he will be 14th caster level, probably Rog3/Sor6/Arc8) and one pure Wizard maybe with some PrC mixed in (but definitely the full 17th caster level and loaded with Mordenkainen's Disjunctions ;)).

Well, that's what I'd try! :)

Bye
Thanee

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The first character to reach the objective wins? Dimension door will be your best friend. You can ignore minor obstacles like doors, gates, prismatic spheres, or hundred-foot-thick adamantine walls. In the straightaway, you have a higher average speed than a monk. Most traps, puzzles, and labyrinths will be easily circumvented.

Buying a wand of that spell is one idea, but that's subject to disjunction and other damage effects. I'd make a PC with 6 levels of Horizon Walker and take the "Shifting" terrain mastery, which lets you DDoor every 1d4 rounds. He may not have the toughest combat abilities, but he won't be stuck in any fight for more than 1d4 rounds anyway. ;)

Thanee

First Post
Something I wanted to add as a sort of tactical advice.

I'd assume that the dungeon gets harder once you get closer to the objective, so you should use your resources sparingly in the beginning. Don't blast away with your best attack spells. Don't start out with all the best buffs you have, just use some moderate ones and have the best left as backup. It seems highly probably that at some point you will get stripped of all those running spells (and maybe even magic items), i.e. by a disjunction. Keeping backup spells ready and backup stuff in a bag of holding seems a good idea as well.

I'd not spend too much gold on magic weapons and armour, you can use greater magic weapon and magic vestment (I'd have a couple of those handy so you can replace them multiple times) to cover these. Better get items of more value (adding to saves, stats, or otherwise granting useful abilities). Maybe adamantine weaponry. Something to become ethereal is also great.

I probably don't need to tell you, that arcane sight, see invisible or true seeing are must have spells pretty much all the time! ;)

Bye
Thanee

Shayuri

First Post
As for Horizon Walker, I thought that the Dimension Door ability from Shifting planar terrain mastery only applied to planes with highly malleable natures like Limbo or or the Plane of Shadow.

That doesn't apply to the Material Plane, does it?

Cuz if it does...hoo boy. :)

Remove ads