D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Stat Adjustments with Size Change?

harpy

First Post
I've been trying to figure out what really happens when you shift the size of a creature.

You have the spell Enlarge Person which says "The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size."

In the Monster Manual on page 291 there is table 4-2 where it says from Medium to Large the creature gets +8 Strength and -2 Dex and +4 Con and +2 Natural Armor.

Then we go to page 89 of the 3.5 FAQ which says, "The changes to statistics by size indicated in Table 4–2 in the MM are primarily a guideline for monster creation, rather than hard-and-fast rules. Although many size-change effects
mimic the numbers given on that table, each such effect has its own unique properties that don’t necessarily match the table. (The enlarge spell, for example, grants only a +2 bonus to Strength, in contrast to the +8 bonus listed on Table 4–2.)"

So at least from the FAQ it sounds like Enlarge and Reduce Person spells are adding a bit of something extra to the shifting in size categories. That the changes to Str and Dex are more flavorful, rather than reflecting a rigidly scaled system of shifting size categories.

Likewise on page 296 of the MM is table 5-1, which clearly states in the text that the Str, Dex and Con range of values are only suggested values. Combining Tables 4-2 and 5-1 and you see why those are composed as they are. Going from Medium to Large gives you +8 Str because it's assumed that your generic large creature will have at least an 18 Str, starting from a base of 10.

So as far as the MM goes, it is all just guidelines on values for creating monsters. What I'm trying to do is figure out what values are definitive for shifting size categories. There are lots of size tables and rules sprinkled through the books, but none of them seem to be the definitive table showing absolute values for the system.

There are some categories that get repeated over and over again, such as you always have a size modifier that affects your AC and Attack Rolls. When I look over all of the rule entries I could find in the three core books it sounds to me that the definitive categories which are always affected are:

AC
Attack
Grapple
Hide
Space
Reach
Carry Capacity
Natural Attack dice scaling
Manufactured Weapon scaling

What seems to be left open to "flavor" are:

Str adjustments
Dex Adjustments
Con Adjustments
Natural Armor Adjustments
Speed

So you could have a medium creature change to a large creature, but still just have average Abilities of 10 across the board and no Natural Armor.

I wish there was a more definitive pronouncement, but I can't find anything being added in any of the other monster books or even Savage Species.

Do people agree on my reading of this? Is there something I'm missing?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Enlarge Person is a fake size change: they short charge you the bonus.

Real Size Change: grants greater bonuses, but don't increase weapon sizes.

Example, a 1/2 Ogre Human grabnts +8 Str, -2 Dex, etc becuse that is a real size change. Another reason people think 1/2 Ogre template is broken.

Last edited:

I see a correlation

Excuse a little thread necromancy but this interests me.

Could I get a list of the 'other' sizing tables? I have only ever seen the MM one (which is also core)

I also have not seen a speed change for sizing except in flying maneuverability.

Also the FAQ doesn't technically contradict the usage of the sizing table as a hard and fast PC ruling. It really is primarily for DM monster creation, because it is very hard for PCs to permanently change size. Also other sizing effects need not match the table; because they are in addition to it.

I would say that the natural armor and physical stat increases are not flavor.

Shin Okada

Explorer
As already pointed out, the table in MM is used when a DM advance a monster. There is no "generic" rule for stats/natural armor/etc. changes with size changes. Even MM and other monster supplements show differently sized version of basically same monster, but they do not always follow the table in MM chapter 4.

PCs will never "just increase in size". If a PC increases in size because of some magical effect, they should follow the rule of that spell or magical effect and just that. Both Enlarge Person and Righteous Might increase the target's size by one category but give different ability adjustments. Giant Size spell (Complete Arcane, Wujen 7) has it's own table, too.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Excuse a little thread necromancy but this interests me.

Could I get a list of the 'other' sizing tables? I have only ever seen the MM one (which is also core)

I also have not seen a speed change for sizing except in flying maneuverability.

Also the FAQ doesn't technically contradict the usage of the sizing table as a hard and fast PC ruling. It really is primarily for DM monster creation, because it is very hard for PCs to permanently change size. Also other sizing effects need not match the table; because they are in addition to it.

I would say that the natural armor and physical stat increases are not flavor.
1/2 Ogre follows MM rules for size increase, but spells follow their own rules (exclusive not inclusive). Enlarge Person only gives +2 Str, -2 Dex even though you should get more.
Which is one reason 1/2 Ogre template it is seen as overpowered.

Yes spells do give specific benefits. But some PCs simply do change size. Savage progressions and Templates do this.

They do not always list the specific stat bonuses because everyone knows to use the sizing table. Otherwise why give it? Indeed some templates remind you of the values that the size table gives.

So. Back to my original question: where are the conflicting tables (not for specific spells, for general calculations)?

Athinar

Explorer
As already pointed out, the table in MM is used when a DM advance a monster. There is no "generic" rule for stats/natural armor/etc. changes with size changes. Even MM and other monster supplements show differently sized version of basically same monster, but they do not always follow the table in MM chapter 4.

PCs will never "just increase in size". If a PC increases in size because of some magical effect, they should follow the rule of that spell or magical effect and just that. Both Enlarge Person and Righteous Might increase the target's size by one category but give different ability adjustments. Giant Size spell (Complete Arcane, Wujen 7) has it's own table, too.
This is not 100% correct that PC's will never "just increase in size". I am playing a Centaur Class and at 6th Centaur, the Centaur "Rocinante" gains the Size increase "Large", so what is the effect to stats, NA, AC and to attack

Remove ads