D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Surprise round = no melee attacks?

Zub

First Post
In a surprise round you can only take a standard action now. Charge is a full round action. The "Partial Charge" action is no longer in the game.

In the text of the PHB, where some examples of a surprise round is given, they state that a kobald or something uses his action to charge the group of PCs.

With only standard actions available, I don't see how this is possible. In fact, unless you are a spellcaster or have a ranged weapon ready, I don't see how you can ever make a melee attack in a surprise round.

What am I missing?

Henrix

Explorer
The description of charge in the PHB says that you can charge even if you are restricted to just one action, but you only move up to your speed.
I.e. more or less as the old partial charge, but with different words and, perhaps, a little less confusion.

Artoomis

First Post
Zub said:
In a surprise round you can only take a standard action now. Charge is a full round action. The "Partial Charge" action is no longer in the game.

In the text of the PHB, where some examples of a surprise round is given, they state that a kobald or something uses his action to charge the group of PCs.

With only standard actions available, I don't see how this is possible. In fact, unless you are a spellcaster or have a ranged weapon ready, I don't see how you can ever make a melee attack in a surprise round.

What am I missing?

Charge is kinda special. If your actions are restriced to only a standard action, you can charge with 1x your movement rate.

...If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Note, however, that unless it's a surprise round (or you're a Zombie, or Slowed, or something), yuo do not have the option of the standard-action-charge...

... so no Readied Partial Charges any more (except in the surprise round, or if you're a Zombie, or...)

-Hyp.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Zub said:
I don't see how you can ever make a melee attack in a surprise round.

This requires a feat, but:
Use your "surprise" standard action to Move up to your opponent. Once you're in melee range your Expert Tactician feat will go off, and you'll get to melee attack his flat-footed self.

-z

Artoomis

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Note, however, that unless it's a surprise round (or you're a Zombie, or Slowed, or something), yuo do not have the option of the standard-action-charge...

... so no Readied Partial Charges any more (except in the surprise round, or if you're a Zombie, or...)

-Hyp.

Well, maybe, maybe not. You can ready an action, and, when the triggering action goes off, your turn will be restricted to a standard action or a move.

That meets the new definition.

Well, maybe. It depends how you think about it. In our group, we've decided to allow it, but only if it is clear it is not being done to abuse the rules - like using it solely to get a non-straight-line charge.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Well, maybe, maybe not. You can ready an action, and, when the triggering action goes off, your turn will be restricted to a standard action or a move.

I disagree completely and absolutely.

If I take a Move action to stand up from prone, all I have left is a Standard Action. That doesn't mean I can use it to Charge. My turn is not restricted - at the start of the turn I had the option to make a Full Round action, for example.

Similarly, if I choose to Ready an action - even though I can only ready a standard or move action - that doesn't mean my turn is restricted to a standard or move action. I'm choosing an action which limits my options, but my turn is unrestricted.

-Hyp.

Artoomis

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
...I disagree completely and absolutely...-Hyp.

Yep - I hear ya'.

I really do not disagree with you either.

On the other hand, I can see the argument that when you ready an action, your turn is essentially over until the triggering action occurs, and then that's your next turn.

Not really. But sort of.

That argument is why our group is doing a kiond of halfway compromise. Without that, it would be impossible to ready a melee attack on a spell caster to interrupt a spell unless you are in the adjacent square, and that does not seem right.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Without that, it would be impossible to ready a melee attack on a spell caster to interrupt a spell unless you are in the adjacent square, and that does not seem right.

Not impossible... you just need to get your buddy to cast Slow on you.

Or have the barbarian thump you until you're staggered :)

-Hyp.

Remove ads