D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] They fixed it!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect."

It doesn't contradict the "Aiming a Spell" text any more!

-Hyp.

dcollins

Explorer
Maybe you could specify how "Aiming a Spell" was changed (as I assume it must have)? The part you quoted is verbatim from 3.0 under "Casting Time".

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Nope - 3.0 said "when you begin casting."

In other words, you decided where you wanted your summoned celestial badger to appear, then spent a full round casting while everybody moved around the battlefield, then the badger appeared... potentially in completely the wrong place.

Now, you start casting Summon Monster I, and cast for a full round while everybody moves around, then - as the spell comes into effect - decide between a Celestial Badger and a Fiendish Hawk, and that it's going to appear there.

That's just a change from 3.0 to 3.5. That's not the exciting part :)

The exciting part is that while in 3.0, Casting Time said you make decisions about targets, effects, etc when you begin casting, on the very same page, under "Aiming a Spell", it says "However, you do not have to select your target until the moment you finish casting the spell."

Which always annoyed me :)

-Hyp.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ehhhxcellent. I ran a low-level game at GenCon, and one poor guy kept casting the world's most useless sleep spells: with the new 1-round casting time, he was never able to catch an enemy in the Area of Effect (chosen when he began casting). I allowed him to cancel the spell twice, when completing it would have put his friends to sleep. I'd decided that sleep was no longer remotely playable; this change makes it remotely playable.

Daniel

I wish I knew why the pro-3.5 threads get so little response, while the anti-3.5 threads get so many pro-3.5 responses :D

Anyway, good eye Hypersmurf. WotC should hire you to playtest 4.0 ;)

Remove ads