D&D 3E/3.5 (3.5) Tumbling Question

Fenris

Adventurer
Since in 3.5 you move up to half your movement when tumbling, how does a mixture of movement and tumbling occur? If I have a move of 30', can I tumble 5' and then move 20'?

rlphay

First Post
The way that I read this is as follows. If you have a movement of 30 and you wish to Tumble then you can do so for that turn but can only move 15 feet for that round. Or 30 feet on a double move. Then make your DC roll to avoid the AoO.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Hmmm...I read it as "tumble at one half speed" meaning that every 5' of tumbling counts as 10' of your movement, so the part of your movement that is not spent tumbling would be "normal speed".

Kinda like diagonal movement.

rlphay

First Post
Particle_Man you are correct. I contacted WOTC on this and they said the same thing. There is also no limit to how far you can tumble as long as you have movement for it.

Last edited:

rlphay

First Post
Also remember that if you are tumbling diagonal then your movement can get expensive. 10' for the first square and 20' for the second.

Cybern

First Post
Particle_Man you are correct. I contacted WOTC on this and they said the same thing. There is also no limit to how far you can tumble as long as you have movement for it.

Wich is good for hi-level Monks... who ran circles around ennemies in 3.0 but could not tumble much. I guess that change was intended just for them :D

Nail

First Post
So...you can "mix 'n match" your tumble with a regular move?

Could you tumble for 5, then move for 5, then tumble for 5, etc?

How many tumble checks would you have to make?

Cybern

First Post
Nail, I'm pretty sure you can, as you make tumble checks against every ennemies you cross. Then I guess you could make a tumble check for each "tumble" (consecutive tumbled squares counted as one tumble).

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
I don't know if you guys have seen this of not, but this could be a lot of fun for a high level monk.

From SRD
Accelerated Tumbling: You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a –10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.

Remove ads