3.5 Versus 4E

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times, I have yet to subscribe though and search for the topic seeing as I just really started using these forums.

I had 4 people I played D&D with, and like a lot of people 2nd edition was where I started off. Then once 3E came, we started playing that, then 3.5, then Pathfinder, then some obscure systems. We had a main DM throughout and it mostly was his call on the system we played, so every time a new system came out or he discovered a different system, we played it. After playing 3.5 for quite a few years, it felt like home. Every system after that I gave a chance, a fair chance. Pathfinder is pretty much 3.5, the other different systems were "meh" but didn't last long anyways because the DM was off implementing another system.

I have been playing D&D for 20 years now, and in the beginning I was more flexible to change, now as I'm turning 35 learning new things is becoming more of a bother to me, not only that, but in my opinion D&D is getting away from itself. Now I understand with 4E they need to make things easier and quicker to play to gain more of a following, but after giving it a fair shot, playing it 3-4 times, it didn't take me long to really dislike the system.

Not only is it far from my favorite system (3.5), but for me it feels like a pen and paper MMO. Here you got a small handful of abilities, one or two you can use at will, another per encounter and another daily. Every time I use one of the encounters/dailies I couldn't help but feel that I'm clicking a button and waiting for the cooldown. This is not what D&D is to me, it feels like a sell out. Hell they even got descriptions of the actions your doing, you don't even need to be creative anymore, they've made it easier to be creatively lazy. I'm not implying that all people who play and like 4E are creatively lazy, but I'm willing to bet there are more so than those who play 3.5. And isn't D&D, on some level, all about creativity?

Having that At-will ability made me feel like that was the only thing I could do every turn. Now that might not be for all people, but with your normal bonus to hit without using your at-will are you more likely to create some fantastic attack as you did in 3.5 and have less of a chance of pulling it off or read your description on your special little card and push your button waiting for the cooldown?

I am not disrespecting anyone who likes the system, not at all, and if it feels that way, I'm sorry. In the end I don't have to play the system, what pissed me off is that I had to contend with other players who would rather play the 4E system. Since, I've stopped being a player and started being a full time DM. After 4E being a player has become less enjoyable, now I DM 3.5 and find those that enjoy the same as me. I'm not going to change systems, people don't have to relearn a system or find out a new system that gets implemented doesn't work for them.

I know 3.5 isn't a perfect system, but it's perfect enough for me.

Steely_Dan

First Post
I started with 1st Ed, moved to 2nd Ed, moved to 3rd, then moved 4th Ed, soon thereafter got a hankering to start up a 1st/2nd Ed, or even Basic campaign.

I like some of 4th Ed, but the pre-Essentials classes don't cut it for me.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Actually, the heat of 3.5 vs. 4e in endless bickering discussions was pretty thick in 2008-ish era. In the last couple of years it has eased down quite a bit. Now with 5e in the works, the Edition Wars are almost starting up again.

So, I understand where you're coming from, having not been an active follower of the various RPG sites, until now. But, hey the millions of threads and posts regarding issues between editions seem to be finally over. So not only is your post/thread late, those of us who have witnessed the endless arguments, are not very excited to see it back again.

Play what you most enjoy and don't worry about any one else's preference.

Huh? What year is it now?

I know, I'm a little behind. I didn't really "do" forums until now. I have some backed up issues. :)

The release of 4e was extremely controversial among the D&D fanbase. These messageboards, and most others, were positively clogged with 3.5e vs 4e threads, now generally referred to as the "Edition Wars", they lasted for years, and never really entirely stopped, people just got tired of arguing constantly.

In the end, nothing really changed from all the arguing. A lot of D&D players refuse to play 4e, or at least really dislike it and would rather play 3.5. Others strongly prefer 4e and don't want to go back to earlier editions.

Paizo capitalized on this schism by reprinting a slightly updated 3.5e as Pathfinder (essentially 3.75e) using the OGL.

Posters here are generally burned out on going back and forth on arguing the various points. Some people hate 4e and love 3.5, others have it the opposite. Arguing here or starting threads to scream your preference for one or the other won't accomplish much: it's been tried many times.

WotC even acknowledged this schism in the promotional materials for the new 5th Edition still in production, stating they are trying to come up with an edition that can draw in the various camps of fans.

MortonStromgal

First Post
For me 3e isnt playable in the double digit levels and pathfinder makes this worse. 4e for all its flaws is playable at leased the lower double digits (never played epic myself). 3.0 was the last edition I thought "felt" like D&D but theres no science there just emotional attachment, 2e and 3.0 I both played in long wonderful campaigns.

Sorry for the thread. I wasn't intending on starting any kind of argument. I know I'm late, it was actually something that was brought up this weekend so I wanted to get other peoples take on what they prefer and why. I'm more curious as to why some people enjoy 4E more.

But if that's going to start some sort of flame fest, I'd rather not get into it either. As I think I pretty much tried to show, I'm not interested in knocking anyone down for liking 4e, and I am aware there are people out there who don't know how to communicate effectively and maturely. I suppose it's just too bad for me. :) I've asked friends who like the system, and their response was pretty much "I don't know, I just like it better". Not very informative so I just wanted to get opinions.

You would think a topic this old wouldn't have people who are heated about the issue anymore.

For me 3e isnt playable in the double digit levels and pathfinder makes this worse. 4e for all its flaws is playable at leased the lower double digits (never played epic myself). 3.0 was the last edition I thought "felt" like D&D but theres no science there just emotional attachment, 2e and 3.0 I both played in long wonderful campaigns.

I really enjoyed 2E as well. I didn't mention this in the first post, but I like D20 as well. I don't think I'm hard to please as a player. 4E just doesn't feel right to me, like it's SO different to everything else. It's like from the original to Pathfinder it was evolution, 4E is like a whole different kind of beast. Thinking the way I'm thinking, I find it strange that 4E is as popular as it is. Because it really gives me the feeling of an MMO, and I love those, but I play those on the computer, not with pen and paper. Suppose I've reached the stage in my life where I'm an old dog (not literally) and I don't want to learn new tricks. :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads