D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What changes to the Ring of Jumping?

IndyPendant

First Post
Just wanted to know. Apparently the Boots of Striding and Springing are out for an NPC I had created with the rather major changes to 3.5e. Anyone willing and able to post the changes to the Ring of Jumping? (Bonus, cost, etc)

Thanks.

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
skill bonus items now cost (bonus squared) * 100 gp.

The ring of jumping (+5 to jump) costs 2500 gp
The ring of improved jumping (+10 to jump) costs 10000 gp

J

Sejs

First Post
Yep, looks like they scaled all the +skill items back something fierce.

'cause you know just how many game-breaking builds were centered around that whole being able to jump 4 more feet thing.

*nod*

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Strange you should say that, but I had a monk with a Ring of Jumping and about +42 to the jump skill. I once leaped about 70ft, over the heads of the bad guys who all missed their attacks of opportunity, to land with the rest of the party ready for a fight.

My DM got slightly annoyed that I combined this with Slippers of Spider Climb (also reduced to 10 mins a day) to always get higher ground when I was near a wall.

Archer

First Post
Not all skills were created equal that's why rings of jumping gave +30 jump skill for 2k when under the old rules it would have cost 9k. Why would you take +10 to jump when you could just fly instead?

HeavyG

First Post
Archer said:
Not all skills were created equal that's why rings of jumping gave +30 jump skill for 2k when under the old rules it would have cost 9k. Why would you take +10 to jump when you could just fly instead?

Exactly, you needed huge amounts of Jump skills to do anything worthwhile. I mean, last game, or barbarian (thus with a bonus for fast movement) with a few ranks in jump, a great strength and a ring of jumping could barely jump up to a 13' high balcony. That is with a +30 bonus. We thought +30 was kinda crappy right then.

If they thought the skill was so good, they should have scaled down the Jump spell too (*blinks* *goes check*), which they did... :(

Sejs

First Post
Strange you should say that, but I had a monk with a Ring of Jumping and about +42 to the jump skill. I once leaped about 70ft, over the heads of the bad guys who all missed their attacks of opportunity, to land with the rest of the party ready for a fight.
So, functionally not really different than if you had just -ran- through all those bad guys with your blinding monkly speed, and they all then missed their AoOs, yes?

My DM got slightly annoyed that I combined this with Slippers of Spider Climb (also reduced to 10 mins a day) to always get higher ground when I was near a wall.
*shrug* heh, I never saw spider climb as that bad - it reduced your move to a near-crawl, and besides it's always priceless the first time someone thinks it'll be really keen to hang from the ceiling and fire a bow at someone... then seeing their face when you describe all their arrows spilling out of their quiver onto the floor.

Damn gravity!

^_^

James McMurray

First Post
Sejs said:
So, functionally not really different than if you had just -ran- through all those bad guys with your blinding monkly speed, and they all then missed their AoOs, yes?

Assuming that the foes were arrayed in such a manner as to make moving around them impossible to do, jumping over them is incredibly different, as it doesn't involve multiple tumble checks or bull rush attempts, and can be easily done as part of a charge maneuver.

Fedifensor

Explorer
I just converted a current NPC in my game to 3.5 - a monk using Oriental Adventures rules. 9th level with 11 ranks of Jump, a 15 Strength (+2), Foot and Fist Mastery (+10 competence bonus), Ring of Improved Jumping (+10 enhancement bonus), Tumble synergy (+2), and 60' move (+12). Total jump bonus is +47. That works out to the following numbers (roll of 1/take 10):

Running Jump (48 feet/57 feet)
Standing Jump (24 feet/28 feet)
Running High Jump (12 feet/14 feet)
Standing High Jump (6 feet/7 feet)

Not nearly as impressive as the 3.0 version, but still quite good. Now, if someone would only tell me how to make a character that can do Xena-like jumps...I saw one the other day where she jumps about 15-20 feet up (standing jump) to get on the branch of a tall tree. Then again, she's probably epic-level.

Remove ads