D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What Cleric Domain abilities changed and question on Paladin's summoned mount.

RigaMortus

Explorer
Still waiting on my books...

What Cleric Domain abilities changed?

Can someone explain the Paladin "summon mount" ability? I am confused as to if you summon your actual mount or if it kinda pulls a generic mount out of thin air for you to ride. Paladin's still get their special mounts, right (the ones that work similiar to Familiars)? They didn't change that aspect of it, did they?

Also, can you "unsummon" the mount? Other than waiting for the time to tick away. When a mount does get unsummoned, where does it go? Back to the same spot it was before you summoned it? What happens if that spot is now occupied? What if someone malicious places a solid wall of iron or something in that spot after seeing the Paladin's mount go "poof" (thus figuring out it must have been summoned)?

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
It basically says "Once per day, as a full-round action, a paladin may magically call her mount from the celestial realms in whch it resides." It may be dismissed at any time as a free action lasts 2 hours per paladin level and is always the same mount. It always comes fully healed but if it dies it takes 30 days before you get another. Yo suffer -1 penalties on attack and damage during this time. Gaining a level before the 30 days negates all this and another can be resummoned.

Cleric domains i don't know specifically as I didn't know them nor do I have a PHB of 3.0 here

RigaMortus

Explorer
So basically they completely redid the Paladin Mount? You summon it from it's Celestial Home... Does this mean you will always need to summon it when you need it (unless you are traveling in it's Celestial Realm)? I was under the impression the summon ability was merely used to get the mount past hard to get to place (like narrow passages of a dungeon). This new mount sounds like you can't even travel in the outdoors with the mount without having to summon it.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
RigaMortus said:
So basically they completely redid the Paladin Mount? You summon it from it's Celestial Home... Does this mean you will always need to summon it when you need it (unless you are traveling in it's Celestial Realm)? I was under the impression the summon ability was merely used to get the mount past hard to get to place (like narrow passages of a dungeon). This new mount sounds like you can't even travel in the outdoors with the mount without having to summon it.

I think this is correct. Keep in mind that:

1) By the time you get it, the mount will be around a minimum of 10 hours, enough for a full day of travel; and
2) A DM can easily house-rule that you can summon and dismiss the horse once/day, dispensing with the 2 hours/level limitation entirely, if they want it to have a different feel to it.

I'll probably be introducing that houserule into my game.

Daniel

Koewn

Explorer
I'll probably end up using both 3.0 and 3.5 rules.

I'll let the horse "exist", in the normal sense - the paladin's mount will be on the Prime Material, but I'll let the paladin do the summoning trick in "Tyme Of Great Neede (tm)" for if they're in a dungeon or what have you, and the mount hasn't come along.

Perhaps, even, the power will simply summon the essence of the mount - making a "almost solid" ghost of the mount when it's summoned, and leaving it actually in it's stable. (without any extra-special rules for this case. No need to get complicated).

Given the large time duration, I don't think this will change anything; it's more just a style preference to have a "real" mount.

Besides, it's a neat idea - having a young stableboy stop short, agape at the horse standing stock still in it's stall - glowing with a heavenly light, eyes closed - until the old stableowner checks in, puts his hand on the boys shoulder, saying "Aye, now boy - be still. That's a paladin's mount. He's just been summoned to his master's side - it must be a great evil they're fighting."

Or I'm weird.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
That's some nice flavor, Koewn. I prefer a more low-key approach: You whistle, and the horse comes from around the bend, or from behind a nearby tree, or whatever. I liked the explanation someone gave a few weeks ago. You never see the Lone Ranger have to go to the stable and get Charger, he's just there when he needs to be there. Same thing with a paladin's mount.

Or Kitt from Knight Rider. :)

Vanye

Explorer
RigaMortus said:
Still waiting on my books...

What Cleric Domain abilities changed?

Animal: Use speak/wanimal 1/day as a spell like ability, knowledge (nature) as a class skill.

Elemental domains seem to allow for bolstering of the elemental types. SRD doesn't indicate that it used to, but that might be an SRD peculiarity.

Strength states the bonus is equal to cleric level; SRD states character level. Don't know what the PH3.0 says.

Travel: Survival (renamed wilderness lore) is class skill.

That's all that I see for abilities. Many of the spells changed....

Remove ads