D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] What did they do to improve Spider Climb?

bret

First Post
I noticed in the conversion document that Spider Climb changed from a 1st to a 2nd level spell.

What did they do to improve the spell so it was worth a 2nd level spell?

drnuncheon

Explorer
I think part of it was part of the 'lower the mobility' movement that seems to be present in all parts of 3.5.

Spider climb gives you a climb speed of 20 feet. You no longer need to have bare hands and feet to use it (which is good, because nobody I know of played it that way). Unlike creatures with a climb speed, you don't need to make limb rolls to traverse walls or even ceilings.

And, you retain your Dex bonus to AC even when climbing - that's the big one.

J

coyote6

Adventurer
drnuncheon said:
You no longer need to have bare hands and feet to use it (which is good, because nobody I know of played it that way).

Hi, J! I'm Bob.

Now you know one person... ;)

Seriously, we played it that way. Which kept the wand of spider climb from getting out of hand, since it generally meant spending an extra round pulling off boots & such.

But spider climb is second level, eh? I'm beginning to doubt there's any chance of persuading my group to play 3.5e.

Tellerve

Actually drnuncheon, on page 69 phb it says that creatures with the climb speed or characters under the effects of a spider climb spell still have to make climb checks. Although they can take 10 and also get a +8 to their check. Hmm, the spell says they don't though, so, *sigh* errata.

I like all the changes to spider climb, as drnuncheon pointed out, people often didn't take off their shoes/boots whatever like they should've by the rules. And I like that people and creatures with climb aren't superglued to the walls.

Tellerve

Last edited:

drnuncheon

Explorer
Tellerve said:
Actually drnuncheon, on page 69 phb it says that creatures with the climb speed or characters under the effects of a spider climb spell still have to make climb checks. Although they can take 10 and also get a +8 to their check.

Well, check the spell description and then send in an errata. ;)

"The subject gains a climb speed of 20 feet; furthermore, it need not make climb checks to traverse a vertical or horizontal surface (even upside down)."

J

Lord Pendragon

First Post
coyote6 said:

Now you know one person... ;)
Actually, we played it that way too. It made for a great moment the first time I used it. My character took his boots off one round (to a quizzical look from the DM,) then the round afterward, went straight up the side of the beached ship, avoiding the ladder guarded by undead to attack the villain. :)
But spider climb is second level, eh? I'm beginning to doubt there's any chance of persuading my group to play 3.5e.
I doubt there's any chance of persuading my group not to play 3.5e. :D No matter how many stupid changes I bring up, they insist 3.5e is all roses. *sigh*

Tellerve

*rolls around in the roses*

yeah, well I'm pretty happy with everything myself. I agree there are some problems, but 3.0 had it's problems, it just took longer to ferret them out 'cause it was completely new. 3.5 is similar so we are finding the possible holes earlier. Some I don't think are so much holes as they just don't jive with what we have gotten used to.

Tellerve

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I would think the more significant question is this: how have they nerfed Levitate to make Spider Climb even worth considering as a 2nd level spell? I'll grant that they fulfill slightly different roles but I can't imagine choosing to have spider climb available to me instead of levitate in advance of any specific situation--levitate is simply more useful in more situations.

Tellerve

Well, for one the duration is a factor of ten lower, also with levitate you only go up or down, so more limited in movement. And also if you fight while levitating you start getting all disoriented and get minuses to your attack. I would wonder about having a loss to ac as well, but eh whatever. With spider climb you retain your dexterity while climbing as well as not getting an minuses to your attacks.

Tellerve

Remove ads