3.5E Gnome War!

kenjib

First Post
Gez said:
Heck, if any race could deserve bard as a favored class, it's elf. Chaotic ? Check. Like magic ? Check. Like swordplay ? Check. See everything as an art ? Check.

Half-elf. All the above? Check. Outside/drifter/bohemian archetype? Check.

Lalato

Adventurer
I don't see the big deal. There is zero literary support for the current D&D gnome, except in Dragonlance (I hate the gnome tinker concept).

Deep Gnome, or Svirfneblin, is closer to the mythology than the D&D gnome. In folklore, gnomes are earth spirits that can move through earth as easily as we walk on top of earth. They live underground and guard treasures. They are related to Dwarves and Goblins.

Unfortunately, DnD already has Dwarves that live underground... a second underground race just isn't necessary... so they decided to make Gnomes an above-ground race... or at worst hill race.

Considering the mythology and the fact that gnomes in DnD are above ground people... I suppose Gez's Druid wouldn't be a bad choice, overall.

Then again... since there is scant literary support for gnomes... and DnD has already changed them from an earth spirit to full-fledged above-ground race... I don't see why Bard wouldn't work either.

In the end... it's no big deal. It really depends on how you want to integrate that particular race into your campaign setting. In my world Gnomes are psionic diviners... instead of illusionists. :)

If I was given the choice the Gnome would've had Ranger as favored class.

And they would be Tiny.

Addendum:

That is the Norse idea of the Gnome. Feet tall 'little people' that live everywhere (and on the surface mind you) - both where there is people - in the barns stables and houses - and in the forests and fields. Humans seldom see them, but they usually coexist happily if respected. Other than being bigger than what is usually thought to be the case the old AD&D Gnome adheres pretty good to the Norse mythology.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Lalato said:
I don't see the big deal. There is zero literary support for the current D&D gnome, except in Dragonlance (I hate the gnome tinker concept).

I've heard there is, in P. Anderson's Three Hearts, Three Lions book. Of course, it's one of those impossible-to-get books here, so I hadn't read it and can't confirm. But it seems the D&D gnome comes from here.

Lalato said:
Deep Gnome, or Svirfneblin, is closer to the mythology than the D&D gnome. In folklore, gnomes are earth spirits that can move through earth as easily as we walk on top of earth. They live underground and guard treasures.

More especially, gnomes guard knowledge. They knows all the secrets of alchemy. The word "gnome" has the same root as "gnosis", and indeed, even "thought" (GNOME means thought in greek -- when you write it with the greek alphabet, that is). Even the pointy hat ties to that knowledge schtick -- have you constated that folkloric wizards wear pointy hats too ? (The pointy hat initially comes from Hermes, aka Thot or Mercure, the Trismegist, god of magicians, charlatans, travelers, merchants, and thieves; who gave his name to the Hermetic philosophy from Renaissance.)

Number47

First Post
I just started in a campaign a month ago, and reworked one of my favorite characters to be a new first level character. What is my beloved character? A gnome bard, of course! Do I love this revision? Yes, I do.

I see gnomes as gentle, knowledgable storytellers. Keepers of lore and verbal tradition. This fits with bard perfectly. A bard does not, repeat not have to be an entertainer on a stage!

Angcuru

First Post
"I've had this problem ever since I was a wee gnome. When it gets dark, everyone starts to glow red! Scares a child something awful, let me tell you..." - Jan Jannsen
:D

Of course, gnomes had infravision back in 2nd edition, so this isn't applicable to 3rd Edition, since they now have darkvision.

Oh, BTW...any of my fellow Baldur's Gate fans just might enjoy my story hour once it gets flowing.

Last edited:

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
Lalato said:

The Forgotten Realms book Temple Hill by Drew Karpyshyn highlights a gnome illusionist and tinkerer as a secondary character. IIRC, he appears in the second half of the book.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Personally, I don't see "preferred class" to be much more than a cultural distinction (I don't use multiclassing penalties). So could there be a society of fun-loving, bohemian gnomes? sure! But there's just as likely to be a society of wilderness explorers (rangers/druids), or powerful illusionists, or whatever...

And wouldn't "Bohemian Gnome" make a good name for a rock band?

Demiurge out.

Remove ads