D&D 3E/3.5 3.5E item pricing

smetzger

Explorer
kreynolds said:

Not really. Take a look at the breakdown of BoSS. The striding is 2000gp on its own, and that only provides an additional +10 feet of movement. Naturally, a similar pair would cost more than that, so I think your price is off, potentially by a lot.

BoSS, give +10 ft all the time w/o requiring a standard action to activate. It is also creates with the Longstrider spell which has a 1 hr duration.

Nail

First Post
kreynolds said:

Not really. Take a look at the breakdown of BoSS. The striding is 2000gp on its own, and that only provides an additional +10 feet of movement. Naturally, a similar pair would cost more than that, so I think your price is off, potentially by a lot.
(smiles)

Not at all.

First, the item only works twice a day, for only 10 rounds at a time. The user needs to take a round to activate it, and the Dispel Magic caster level check (vs. clvl 1) is almost laughable. These limitations, in and of themselves, make the price reasonable. If you'd like, compare it to a potion price.

Second, the BoSS are based on a sub-par spell. Is it my fault that I don't want a poor spell in a magic item I create?

Third, the revised DMG is a disappointment, when it comes to magic item pricing. 'Nuff said.

kreynolds

First Post
smetzger said:
BoSS, give +10 ft all the time w/o requiring a standard action to activate. It is also creates with the Longstrider spell which has a 1 hr duration.

That's exactly my point. ER has a shorter duration, and it has a faster movement bonus, thus it would be more expensive than 2000gp for +10 ft of movement.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Nail said:

:D

Nail said:
First, the item only works twice a day, for only 10 rounds at a time. The user needs to take a round to activate it, and the Dispel Magic caster level check (vs. clvl 1) is almost laughable. These limitations, in and of themselves, make the price reasonable. If you'd like, compare it to a potion price.

None of this makes a difference. Sure, it will be only 40% of the full price, but I think the final price will still be more than what you've come up with.

Nail said:
Second, the BoSS are based on a sub-par spell.

And? That has nothing to do with anything. A magic item is still based on it, a magic item that is priced accordingly, yet you want to make a more powerful magic item for less. Something's wrong with that.

But I didn't say that your price was off by 4000gp or anything. At most, its probably only off by two- or three-hundred gold.

Nail said:
Third, the revised DMG is a disappointment, when it comes to magic item pricing.

I can't agree with that. It's not very comprehensive, but I don't think it's "bad" either. It gets the job done. Not smoothly, but it does.

Nail said:
'Nuff said.

Not really. :) I am trying to see this from your vantage point though.

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
kreynolds said:
But I didn't say that your price was off by 4000gp or anything. At most, its probably only off by two- or three-hundred gold.
Interesting. How would you price these boots?

I am trying to see this from your vantage point though.
...and I appreciate it.

Nail

First Post
Random Thought:

Although I appreciate what 3.5e DMG did about pricing the short duration spells in magic items, I was dissapointed that they did nothing about Target: Personal. Surely it is these spells, like True Strike and Expeditious Retreat, that cause problems.

Why not require that such spells be treated as one or two levels higher, with respect to magic item creation?

kreynolds

First Post
die_kluge said:
I'm sounding like a broken record here...

Well, no insult intended, I swear, but you're actually sounding like a door-to-door salesperson. Don't get me wrong though. The book sounds cool, and I look forward to checking it out, possibly even picking it up. But if you're not here to participate in the discussion, please SPAM elsewhere. This isn't the place for it, know what I mean? :cool:

Nail

First Post
die_kluge said:
I'm sounding like a broken record here, but all this could be solved by tossing the DMG's broken magic item creation rules in the trash, and buying a copy of Mystic Eye Games' Artificer's Handbook ..
Hmmm. I did read the review, since you've asked. I'm afraid I'm not going to get it. I'd much rather have something that fixes the d20 system, rather than replacing it wholesale. The book looks like it needlessly complicates the process, and might cause as many problems as it solves. Sorry => but you asked for me to read it over.......

The way I see it, you could keep practically all of the DMG 3.5e system. What's broken is the way you can put short duration, personal target spells into continupous magic items. There's a simple fix for this: spells put in continuous magic items must have a duration of hours per level and a target of "a creature".

They did it for potions, why not everything?

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
umm... kreynolds?
AFAIK, there is no support in 3.5E to deny someone the kind of item that Nail (and green slime) described.
As far as I can see (from the SRD), the only place that you and green slime are using as justification to 'deny' Nail's item that casts Expeditious Retreat 2x a day is :
Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls.
That's it - just that vague little blurb at the end of pages and pages of detailed rules.

I don't believe that is applicable here... at ALL.
This is not a continuous item, so comparing it to the Boots of S&S is inappropriate.

It seems to me that it's straightforward in the books that casting a 1st level spell 2x per day would be 720 gp.
Anything else is a house rule.
As long as the increase in cost isn't way out of proportion, I could see where it might be warranted.... but kreynolds - there's NOTHING about that estimation that is "common sensical." ;)

Last edited:

Remove ads