D&D 5E 3 Classic Settings Coming To 5E?

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years. This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though. The video below is an 11-hour video, but the...

On the D&D Celebration – Sunday, Inside the D&D Studio with Liz Schuh and Ray Winninger, Winninger said that WotC will be shifting to a greater emphasis on settings in the coming years.

This includes three classic settings getting active attention, including some that fans have been actively asking for. He was cagey about which ones, though.

The video below is an 11-hour video, but the information comes in the last hour for those who want to scrub through.

Additionally, Liz Schuh said there would be more anthologies, as well as more products to enhance game play that are not books.

Winninger mentioned more products aimed at the mainstream player who can't spend immense amount of time absorbing 3 tomes.

Ray and Liz confirmed there will be more Magic: The Gathering collaborations.

I suposse we could see a planar handbook with some pages about Sigil, as in 3.5, and a monster compedium of Spelljammer. This settin allow to add every new race or monster, and even rip-off of famous sci-fi franchises.

More books about Ravenloft wouldn't be a "return". I mean we could see Ranveloft and other three settings.

A new module set in Greyhawk is possible, and it wouldn't be as return of the setting.

It's a good question, and maybe it would be like Eberron, M:tG planes would have got their own cosmologies.

I couldn't bet it but my mind is open with the idea of the D&D worlds suffering something like the Sundering in FR. maybe not in the same planet, but a retcon of the crystal spheres. Why? To allow more space where to can adding new elements as monsters, PC races and base classes.

My theory is Spelljammer will arrive after Dark Sun, (new books of) Ravenloft and Planescape because 5th Ed hasn't got enough experience about encounters where PCs can shoot against daikaijus with canons or giant crossbows from a ship.

Why not a monster compedium with creatures from Planescape and Spelljammer? Or spelljammer races and monsters reused in the astral sea.

I'm thinking with the subject of Spelljammer by itself as it's own campaign setting that can be completely independent Torilspace, Greyspace and Krynnspace, what would need to be revised?

The idea of the Rock of Bral and it's location (it used to be insert in your sphere of choice among those three). The Unhuman Wars given the recent change in stance on Humanoid races from WOTC, does it need to be more Shades of Grey with the Scro and Goblinoids not necessarily being evil and the Elven Imperial Navy being more bastardly, and both sides comitting atrocities on each other? What about the guilds/proto-factions (Pragmatic Order of Thought, Xenos, Chainmen, etc), are they just fine being very black and white like they were, or should they be more shades of grey like Planescape's factions. What should there be outside the core empires of the Illithids, Beholders, Elven Imperial Navy, Neogi and so on? Spelljammer had the Kreen Empire and Vodoni Empire mentioned in later products, along with ancients like the Juna and Reigar (would they be Fey now?). What about the races from Star Frontiers that ended up in Spelljammer, and by that token could one dump the Alternity races into Spelljammer too?

Scro name should be changed. It's horrible, it sounds as scrotum.

Races from d20 Future (Star*Drive and Star-Frontiers) could be "guest artist" in Spelljammer. The fraals were a canon monster in 2nd...(and in my opinion they should be as PC race in the future psionic handbook).

* How 1st level PCs could get a (very expensive) spelljamming helm? how to prepare encounters where PCs can shoot giant monsters with canons or giant crossbows from the spelljamming helm?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Scro name should be changed. It's horrible, it sounds as scrotum.

Races from d20 Future (Star*Drive and Star-Frontiers) could be "guest artist" in Spelljammer. The fraals were a canon monster in 2nd...(and in my opinion they should be as PC race in the future psionic handbook).

* How 1st level PCs could get a (very expensive) spelljamming helm? how to prepare encounters where PCs can shoot giant monsters with canons or giant crossbows from the spelljamming helm?
We certainly do not need a different name for smart, organized orcs. Especially post-Tasha.

Laurefindel

Legend
Scro could just be name for a political faction of Orcs "No longer will we hide in fear of what lurks in the stars, for we are the champions of those oppressed by the rampant colonialism of the Elven Imperial Navy, we no longer call ourselves Orcs! For we are Scro!"
Perhaps they still call themselves orcs. It's just that their writing system goes from right to left, so that's what other people read.

Nymrod

Explorer
I have no problem with Star Wars/Trek style one biome planets (desert planet, forest planet, ice planet) so that is a non-issue. I'm just glad someone referenced Shadows of the Spider Moon, the best Spelljammer version and a critically underated gem. If Spelljammer has to come back, let it be that version rather than the miniature giant space hamster version.

The Spider Moon version is great as a Spelljammer setting that is meant to focus on Spelljammer itself rather than on linking multiple other places.
But yeah, I'll never be happy about single biome planets:)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads