D&D General 3 Secret Ingredients for a Great D&D Campaign?

Stormonu

Legend
Right now, the only one I can think of is "Believable NPCs". That is, folks that the players can relate to in one way or another outside of a combat encounter or as a quest giver. Whether it's Blue Masey the barkeep who eagerly awaits to hear the character's travails when they come back from their adventures, or its Miss Trudy who tearfully says goodbye every time one of the PCs leaves, fearing they will never return - having NPCs who the players enjoy interacting with time and again helps to draw players into the worlds as more than just a game.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Good question! I think three of my ingredients over the years have become:

• Use the things the players put into their characters' backgrounds (especially when they forget they're there).
  • Cultivate NPCs that the players care about (not the characters - the players).
  • Bad rolls are opportunities for interesting/funny things to happen (depending on the moment) - don't waste that opportunity.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Be open. I like to keep it very clear what is being rolled for, what is potentially happening, and what consequences may be. I hate the feel bads when someone didnt understand the implications of something.

This a big one for me.

It's an imperfect medium (having to describe the situations to the players) and miscommunications/misunderstandings are bound to occur -so best to be clear AND to allow for corrections when there was a clear misunderstanding etc. I'm not about to play gotcha with the playes.

And if a DM is being deliberately vague/unclear and as a result the players are struggling with the scenario, and when asked won't clarify/make the situation less confusing? That's one of the biggest reasons for me to not come back. It's also the ONLY time I can remember leaving a game mid-stream. Was a Gen Con game with plenty of players (I wouldn't be missed) and the GM was doing everything he could to make us feel useless anyway.

Shiroiken

Legend
2) NPC Fans

Campaigns are usually full of suspicious townsfolk, stubborn guards, and all-knowing immortal mages... I make sure to sprinkle in a few NPCs who really like the characters. It might be a kid who idolizes the paladin, a smithy who dreams of being an adventurer, or a cultist who worships the warlock. Putting in a few NPCs who unabashedly like the characters helps make the heroes seem even more heroic.

2. Rivals. Make sure the PCs know that they're not the only game in town and if they don't do something there are others who will. Even more fun if they are somehow forced to work together on some occasions.
These are also two of mine. For whatever reason, I'm good at making NPCs my players love or love to hate. In my last campaign in Saltmarsh, we had a Triton PC who became beloved by the fishermen's children. However, he offended a local halfling merchant when he mistook the merchant for one of the children. This created some fun situations! I particularly like to use rivals to complete adventures the players don't take (or abandon), since they get an idea of what they missed out on.

While I can't think of a solid 3rd, I think little details sometimes are really appreciated. For example, I introduced Keoish brandy in my first 5E campaign, and a player decided to ask for it later in the campaign. It doesn't have to be food, but any little thing that helps give authenticity to the world beyond just the PCs and their activities.

No particular order:

1. NPCs the players love (or love to hate). My wisdom-dispensing gold dragon and ettin arguing with herself were big hits.

2. Just the right amount of evocative description.

3. My players have, I think, enjoyed the occasional peek behind the curtain. So a bit of that every once in a while.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Clearly, the three secrets are...
1) Crush your enemies.
2) See them driven before you.
3) And hear the lamentations of their significant others.

But, more seriously, I don't find there to be any small list of secrets. It is no secret that you should listen to what the players want, and then give it to them.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
These are the tricks that I've been using lately:

#1 Get a free blog (it's fairly easy). Use it to communicate my ongoing campaign. Update it on a regular basis between sessions.

#2 Mentally review the session. Start from the beginning and then picture what happens next and so forth. I'm in a routine of walking to the grocery store after our weekly 2 hour sessions. This is when I typically do this.

#3 profit

Remove ads