D&D 5E 3 Years Later: D&D's total Domination on Amazon (and Earth in General)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Compared to what? To each other or to other books?

And, HOLY CRAP, 5e D&D is doing well.
To each other; like, Rise of Tiamat v. Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Think the books are selling well now, wait till there are TV commercials for the movie during the Super Bowl, quality of said movie aside.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I asked Mike Mearls on Twitter this question:

"Has the 5e PHB already outsold the entire run of 3.0e and 3.5e PHB sales combined over the course of the entire run of 3e?"

And Mike Mearls answered:

"yes, 5e > 3.5e + 3e"

I believe [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] has argued in the past that this was not the case. Now we know.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I asked Mike Mearls on Twitter this question:

"Has the 5e PHB already outsold the entire run of 3.0e and 3.5e PHB sales combined over the course of the entire run of 3e?"

And Mike Mearls answered:

"yes, 5e > 3.5e + 3e"

I believe [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] has argued in the past that this was not the case. Now we know.

New information, I was responding to the last time Mearls said that 9 over a year ago IIRC?).

I need to get another PHB, pages are falling out. Played 2E in the weekend and my 1989 PHB is pristine and the 1995 PHB that had a hard life is in better shape than my 1st 5E PHB. Mates one broke as well, my theory is you buy 2 or 3 PHB to replace the broken ones;).

I also need a new MM same reason.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
New information, I was responding to the last time Mearls said that 9 over a year ago IIRC?).

I need to get another PHB, pages are falling out. Played 2E in the weekend and my 1989 PHB is pristine and the 1995 PHB that had a hard life is in better shape than my 1st 5E PHB. Mates one broke as well, my theory is you buy 2 or 3 PHB to replace the broken ones;).

No need to buy new copies, WotC will replace first printings for free upon request, due to the known printing error.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

The 3.5e PHB also had binding problems, and for the same print run (the first one). However, you're not seriously arguing this is a material part of the numbers here, and accounts for the 5e PHB being in the top 100 of all books nationwide for all categories more than three years after release, are you? I can drill down on print runs and disprove that allegation if you are in fact making it.

Remove ads